Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Australasian Touring Cars.

Old 17 Feb 2013, 09:21 (Ref:3206103)   #1
amiers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
amiers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VF rear wing

Does any one else think the way the rear wing is mounted is a bit suss? When you look at it the plates that come off the boot (flat section) it creates an extension of the boot which i would think would make it create more down force in corners, as far as i know the downforce tests were in a straight line only, as there is more area to the boot.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 18:38 (Ref:3206272)   #2
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by amiers View Post
Does any one else think the way the rear wing is mounted is a bit suss? When you look at it the plates that come off the boot (flat section) it creates an extension of the boot which i would think would make it create more down force in corners, as far as i know the downforce tests were in a straight line only, as there is more area to the boot.
So, you reckon all the hours of parity testing at the Sale Airforce Base in Sale Victoria was a waste of time and partly fraudulent?
Old 17 Feb 2013, 21:20 (Ref:3206354)   #3
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
So, you reckon all the hours of parity testing at the Sale Airforce Base in Sale Victoria was a waste of time and partly fraudulent?
Yep!! Coz not one single aero expert from this website was invited.........

Go to the RBT8 webiste and hae a read of the interview they had with Ludo on there about the wing..... ring wing most effective in straightline.....
Old 17 Feb 2013, 21:33 (Ref:3206359)   #4
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Let's face it, in the past holden have had the Ford 9" diff, the Ford double wishbone front suspension, copied Ford's cylinder heads and now they have Ford's rear wing.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 22:27 (Ref:3206391)   #5
alfacors
Veteran

alfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridalfacors should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesport View Post
Let's face it, in the past holden have had the Ford 9" diff, the Ford double wishbone front suspension, copied Ford's cylinder heads and now they have Ford's rear wing.
The original VP Commodores which were developed as the start of the "V8 only" era had end mounted wings....
Old 17 Feb 2013, 22:45 (Ref:3206399)   #6
Razor
10-10ths official Trekkie
Veteran

Australia
Behind the wheel
Razor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRazor should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfacors View Post
The original VP Commodores which were developed as the start of the "V8 only" era had end mounted wings....
Also, the double wishbone front suspension was originally created by Citroen and was ultimately used in F1 before V8 Supercars. Just because it was used in the EL Falcon doesn't mean it's "Ford" suspension.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 22:52 (Ref:3206401)   #7
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
bluesport User had had their licence endorsedbluesport User had had their licence endorsed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor View Post
Also, the double wishbone front suspension was originally created by Citroen and was ultimately used in F1 before V8 Supercars. Just because it was used in the EL Falcon doesn't mean it's "Ford" suspension.
I'm talking about within the category.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:37 (Ref:3206429)   #8
amiers
Racer

Australia
Brisbane
amiers should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
No i'm not saying that, what i am saying is it has been admitted that only straight line test have been done. im not an expert and dont claim to be, however i am smart enough to know that if you increase the area it has to have an effect on the overall state. the Ford wing plate is flush on the boot. the VF extend's from the edge of the boot and therefore increas's the area in which the airflow has a greater area to create downforce.

Last edited by amiers; 17 Feb 2013 at 23:50.
Old 17 Feb 2013, 23:45 (Ref:3206430)   #9
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Designer's View
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:19 (Ref:3206452)   #10
Axeman444
Veteran

Australia
Calling a spade a spade...
Axeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAxeman444 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTRMagic View Post
so by the tone of the first few sentences, there is no chance of Ford luring them back any time soon?
Old 18 Feb 2013, 00:42 (Ref:3206467)   #11
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
No i'm not saying that, what i am saying is it has been admitted that only straight line test have been done. im not an expert and dont claim to be, however i am smart enough to know that if you increase the area it has to have an effect on the overall state. the Ford wing plate is flush on the boot. the VF extend's from the edge of the boot and therefore increas's the area in which the airflow has a greater area to create downforce.
And it you read the link about where they explain the wing design, it says that the wing is more effiecient with the end plates like that, then it was when centre mounted.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 01:18 (Ref:3206485)   #12
MacrosNZ
Racer

New Zealand
Auckland
MacrosNZ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:

There's more to a car's aero than the rear wing. The whole car effects downforce, drag, COP, etc..
Old 18 Feb 2013, 05:00 (Ref:3206537)   #13
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
What no mention of the "Holden" front splitter that to replace the
'oh XXXX I've just driven over a white line & torn the front splitter off"
lament of the au drivers.

And BTW, the double wishbone is not a frod design. Holden made their McPherson strut front suspension work in a race car.

In the ea (woof, woof ),frods much vaunted short & long arm & long spindle set up couldn't be made to work in a race car. Hence the double wishbone suspension .

I would have rather Holden kept the strut front end. It worked rather well, wouldn't you say.Judging from the results.

The 'frod' double wishbone was forced onto the Holdens
by Project Blueoval.

The nine inch- that's ford ,alright. But you'll never see me *******ise any of my GM cars with one.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 06:04 (Ref:3206559)   #14
Mixer
Veteran

Mixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridMixer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcos WTF View Post
What no mention of the "Holden" front splitter that to replace the 'oh XXXX I've just driven over a white line & torn the front splitter off" lament of the au drivers.
Actually it wasn't so much tearing it off as shattering the thing. One good thing about the BA was we didn't have to hear John Bowe whinging about mid corner understeer anymore...

Cracking article from Triple 8, Ludo is clearly and very very smart man.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 08:56 (Ref:3206614)   #15
Trevor
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
Trevor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
And BTW, the double wishbone is not a frod design. Holden made their McPherson strut front suspension work in a race car.
and Mark Skaife was one of the main protagonists to get rid of the McPherson Strut, he couldn't wait for Blueprint, there is in writing somewhere about him commenting on the change, something about 2 or 4 points of adjustment versus 6 or 8 with the double wishbone.

The first Falcons in Australia had double wishbone, that would be about 1960 by my recollection. I own a 1966 Falcon and it has one - hmmmmm EL Falcon - pffftttt. Ford may not have invented it, but it has been a Falcon mainstay for an awful long time.

It is good to be old
Old 18 Feb 2013, 09:27 (Ref:3206623)   #16
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:

In the ea (woof, woof ),frods much vaunted short & long arm & long spindle set up couldn't be made to work in a race car. Hence the double wishbone suspension .

I would have rather Holden kept the strut front end. It worked rather well, wouldn't you say.Judging from the results.

by Project Blueoval.

The nine inch- that's ford ,alright. But you'll never see me *******ise any of my GM cars with one.
Mate just face the facts, with all the changes holden made over the years, they simply wanted a Falcon.
Old 18 Feb 2013, 10:08 (Ref:3206639)   #17
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:

by Project Blueoval.

And watch the AU driver say his understeer got better without that useless splitter on the front... the one with the Jatz biscuit in it anyway
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 19 Feb 2013, 05:35 (Ref:3207020)   #18
Marcos WTF
Racer

Australia
On a former RAAF airfield
Marcos WTF is a back marker
Quote:
Mate just face the facts, with all the changes holden made over the years, they simply wanted a Falcon.

Not even close, so no cigar. I will throw in half a packet of Winnie Reds
though.
Old 19 Feb 2013, 05:44 (Ref:3207024)   #19
bluesport
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Not even close, so no cigar. I will throw in half a packet of Winnie Reds
though.
OK then, it's a deal. As long as we can keep laughing, that's what matters most.