Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Road Car Forums > Road Car Forum

Old 11 Jul 2002, 21:22 (Ref:332165)   #1
EdF
Rookie

EdF should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Clio brakes

Sorry, guys, I know it's boring, but my wife's Clio needs some brake attention. Haynes don't do a manual for the later models and I don't want to wheel it into my friendly dealer for such a small job.., but I can't figure how to get the rear drums off. Brakes and handbrake need adjusting. What seems to be the dustcap - a flush fitting plate - seems immovable. Anyone familiar with this small box?
Old 12 Jul 2002, 12:50 (Ref:332607)   #2
StuiE
Veteran

StuiE should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, did some of this a few days ago, just get a flathead screwdriver into the where the 2 surfaces meet, and give the screwdriver a few hits until it seperates a bit, then do it to the opposite side, and so on, until its off.

And to get the drums off, give them a few hits with a big hammer (on the face), then it should be easy to get off

Hope this helps

"I think we broke something.......Traction" -Carl Edwards 19/8/06 MIS

05 - Peter Brock
Old 12 Jul 2002, 13:15 (Ref:332644)   #3
EdF
Rookie

Doh! Thanks, I'll try the same again then! I obviously wasn't hitting the brute hard enough!
Old 12 Jul 2002, 16:46 (Ref:332795)   #4
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If hitting it really hard dosn't work, hit it even harder- it'll make you feel better
Old 12 Jul 2002, 17:48 (Ref:332830)   #5
EdF
Rookie

"He's - f-fallen in der warter......."

"Der, fanks for fer tip, Bluebottle. My fumb was in der way, doh..."
Old 12 Jul 2002, 18:10 (Ref:332848)   #6
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Bluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBluebottle should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
"Eheueueu!"
Old 12 Jul 2002, 19:15 (Ref:332881)   #7
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
I'm not familiar with the Clio, but it sounds similar to my wife's Peugeot 106. I'm assuming that the hub & drum are a one-piece unit - most are nowadays.

To get the dust cap off, you'll probably have to destroy it - either a cold chisel under the edge or puncture it with a sharp object & lever it off. The hub nut may be retained by staking it into a groove in the spindle. If this is the case, you'll have to try & prise the staking out of the groove to release it; it's unlikely you will completely clear it, so you'll no doubt need a breaker bar to get enough leverage to unscrew the nut. If the nut is staked, use a new one when you reassemble - you're going to have to go to a dealer to buy the new dust caps, so you can get the new nuts while you're there! It is essential that the hub nuts are tightened to the correct torque!

Depending on the type of bearings used, the removal of the hub/drum assembly may or may not be easy. If taper rollers are used, it will just drop off. If normal ball/roller bearings are used, they can be a tight fit on the spindle, in which case a hub puller would be handy.
Old 12 Jul 2002, 19:21 (Ref:332885)   #8
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
EdF- don't forget to tell us how you get on...
Old 18 Jul 2002, 20:15 (Ref:336851)   #9
EdF
Rookie

Greetings, fellow spanner twiddlers.. Great news (drumroll), I was in my friendly, expensive Halfords two days ago, and got my flabber gasted as there was a new Haynes manual for the Clio - my model.. Shock Horror!
Dave Brand above is correct, lever off dust cover, spiked nut underneath.. There, on the shelf, lurking, was also a manual for my new model Passat, at which I went into a dead faint and had to be resuscitated by having a can of Castrol R wafted under my nose.. (Ask your dad...)
Old 18 Jul 2002, 21:33 (Ref:336894)   #10
Bluebottle
Veteran

United Kingdom
High Wycombe
Quote:
Originally posted by EdF
resuscitated by having a can of Castrol R wafted under my nose.. (Ask your dad...)
Mmmm- Castrol R......