Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing > ACO Regulated Series

Old 14 Jun 2024, 12:09 (Ref:4213708)   #226
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not unusual though, it's happened many times over the years. F1 should change their date in favour of the more important event.....
Old 14 Jun 2024, 12:33 (Ref:4213712)   #227
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari333SP View Post
My main question is, why would they want to sign a 4-year deal with Imola in the first place? Why race there and not Monza? Surely Monza is the superior track with a bigger profile?
While Monza might be more suited for big sportscars, it seems the local mayor was a big help in securing the deal. Might be a case of being more pro-active than your competitor. I would have liked to see a rotation between the two tracks but certainly not disappointed to see Imola become a permanent fixture!
Old 14 Jun 2024, 14:08 (Ref:4213738)   #228
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aysedasi View Post
Not unusual though, it's happened many times over the years. F1 should change their date in favour of the more important event.....
We would all like to see that!
Old 14 Jun 2024, 14:12 (Ref:4213740)   #229
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
Decent calendar. Didn’t expect too much change
Old 14 Jun 2024, 14:15 (Ref:4213742)   #230
Victor_RO
Veteran

Romania
Cluj-Napoca, Romania
Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!Victor_RO is going for a new world record!
Within 3 hours of the calendar announcement, hotel + flights + race ticket booked for Imola.
Old 14 Jun 2024, 15:16 (Ref:4213761)   #231
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Qatar and Bahrain still on their, despite the latter being attended by three men and a dog this year (if they let the dog in). Silverstone and somewhere in Germany both of which have big sportscar fan following still missing.

I presume money is more important than spectators, up until the point where they wonder why no-one is watching it any more.
Old 14 Jun 2024, 20:31 (Ref:4213811)   #232
JoeW04
Veteran

JoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJoeW04 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post
Qatar and Bahrain still on their, despite the latter being attended by three men and a dog this year (if they let the dog in). Silverstone and somewhere in Germany both of which have big sportscar fan following still missing.

I presume money is more important than spectators, up until the point where they wonder why no-one is watching it any more.
Thomas Laudenbach also said earlier in the year from Porsches perspective they don’t think there should be two races in the Middle East, money talks louder than common sense sadly.
Old 15 Jun 2024, 10:40 (Ref:4213897)   #233
Simmi
Veteran

United Kingdom
Simmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameSimmi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victor_RO View Post
Within 3 hours of the calendar announcement, hotel + flights + race ticket booked for Imola.
Am also wondering about this. Albeit from a racing perspective I'm not sure about it. I think the mixed conditions this year really masked a track where you can't do a lot of passing.

I get they kind of have to be in Italy, but locking yourself in for four years is certainly interesting.
Old 15 Jun 2024, 11:35 (Ref:4213907)   #234
S griffin
Veteran

S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!S griffin is going for a new world record!
I feel Monza or Mugello would be a better choice
Old 15 Jun 2024, 18:33 (Ref:4214292)   #235
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woolley View Post

Maybe the German and British tracks don't care?
Old 17 Jun 2024, 05:34 (Ref:4215625)   #236
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Maybe the German and British tracks don't care?
Something is very wrong somewhere if that's the case...

It is simply umforgivable to continue not to have a UK round on the calendar...

Maybe it's just the Silverstone ownership that is the problem? Because unfortunately it doesn't appear that any other UK circuit could host the series umder its current entry size and facilities requirements at present.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 06:07 (Ref:4215628)   #237
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Also what a blow for the Indycar (and F1 drivers, LOL) who would've liked to do LM next year.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 06:14 (Ref:4215630)   #238
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Le Mans is always on the second weekend of June. I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by these clashes. We knew this was going to be an issue with F1 and IndyCar announced their calendars.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 11:17 (Ref:4215675)   #239
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
Le Mans is always on the second weekend of June. I'm surprised that so many people are surprised by these clashes. We knew this was going to be an issue with F1 and IndyCar announced their calendars.
Maybe the ACO need to a social media campaign around why the hold Le ans on the 24th week of the year...

The calendar is fine though; the oft-vaunted date equity is taking shape.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 15:53 (Ref:4215710)   #240
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is deliberate, it certainly was when bernie did it years ago for Azerbaijan, I used to watch F1 then and did not watch a second of that weekend.

It is simply a way for Liberty to stave off the inevitable leak of drivers who want more from their careers once they have ***** f1 of every penny they can, Max will be there before long as he knows what racing is really interesting to him.

I get it with F1, they can see the threat, it has happened a few times in sportscar racing history and the F1 bosses always find a way to shaft those concerned. I all honesty I dont care that much I rate a WEC driver higher anyway, they do more, have more to deal with, pass m,ore, and are overall more complete drivers, any 1 of the top WEC men could score points in F1 and one or two could probably podium or even win.

And let's be honest here, the like minded and sane among us have already realised where the best racing and sport is anyway. So it will be no issue to favour one over the otehr that day.

Last edited by Aysedasi; 17 Jun 2024 at 17:58.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 17:18 (Ref:4215728)   #241
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Something is very wrong somewhere if that's the case...

It is simply umforgivable to continue not to have a UK round on the calendar...

Maybe it's just the Silverstone ownership that is the problem? Because unfortunately it doesn't appear that any other UK circuit could host the series umder its current entry size and facilities requirements at present.
Silverstone wanted a race but there isn't room for them on the calendar. The manufacturers think WEC can only support 8 races at the moment due to analysis of budgets and the return on investment. If they would allow 9 races, Silverstone would be the 9th round. WEC should be capped at 1 race per month. 10 race season is the ideal calendar with 2 months of off-season.
Old 17 Jun 2024, 22:21 (Ref:4215785)   #242
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Articus View Post
Silverstone wanted a race but there isn't room for them on the calendar. The manufacturers think WEC can only support 8 races at the moment due to analysis of budgets and the return on investment. If they would allow 9 races, Silverstone would be the 9th round. WEC should be capped at 1 race per month. 10 race season is the ideal calendar with 2 months of off-season.
Interesting that Silverstone wanted it but the series said no...

Who/whatever it is unacceptable not to have the UK round.

10 rounds would be good but would the entrants be ok with only 2 months of down tools?
Old 17 Jun 2024, 22:26 (Ref:4215786)   #243
Articus
Veteran

Articus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridArticus should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunterer View Post
Interesting that Silverstone wanted it but the series said no...

Who/whatever it is unacceptable not to have the UK round.

10 rounds would be good but would the entrants be ok with only 2 months of down tools?
With only 1 race a month, there's a lot of "down time" already baked into the season.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 10:12 (Ref:4215834)   #244
PhilipR
Veteran

Romania
London
PhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPhilipR should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
https://sportscar365.com/lemans/wec/...y-before-2027/

Seems there will be 8 races until 2027! I do not mind this but would like to have a 2nd race in N America or Asia(China maybe) rather than 2 in the Middle East. I get why they are doing so - probably Bahrain and Qatar pay for transport and logistics.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 10:51 (Ref:4215845)   #245
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
flatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflatlandsman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I doubt Silverstone really care, they have their money pit and historically, even in times of WEC being popular there have never been Spa or Imola size crowds at the place, so in their eyes it will cost them to host and they will likely make more from selling a few thousand more F1 seats at a vast profit
Old 18 Jun 2024, 12:28 (Ref:4215860)   #246
Akrapovic
Veteran

Scotland
Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!Akrapovic is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I don't mind 8 races. I just think Bahrain, Qatar and COTA are wasted events that we could have better races in.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 13:14 (Ref:4215874)   #247
Coach Ep
Veteran

Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!Coach Ep is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Akrapovic View Post
I don't mind 8 races. I just think Bahrain, Qatar and COTA are wasted events that we could have better races in.
Road America would be the US dream venue as it has long straights, ample elevation and a fantastic ambience. But it ain't happening unfortunately.

It almost sounds like the series needs a 3rd race in the Middle East to cover the extra cost of a 9th and possibly 10th round on the calendar, what a joy...
Old 18 Jun 2024, 16:44 (Ref:4215919)   #248
flatlandsman
Racer

Ireland
Daventry
The issue is that the countries you do not want are the ones that will pay well over the odds, it is that simple sadly.
Old 18 Jun 2024, 18:04 (Ref:4215925)   #249
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
It is deliberate
Yes
Old 18 Jun 2024, 18:44 (Ref:4215935)   #250
J Jay
Veteran

United Kingdom
Manchester
J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!J Jay is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlandsman View Post
The issue is that the countries you do not want are the ones that will pay well over the odds, it is that simple sadly.
Yep, and they are willing to pay so much more precisely because they know money is the only bargaining chip they have.

Bahrain & Qatar are necessarily evils, so to speak. But if we can have two ME races, there should be scope for a second NA round when the time is right.

Monkey's paw: The second NA round is Penske-bankrolled Indianapolis.