Alpine 0 0%
Williams 0 0%
Kick Sauber 0 0%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Jul 2024, 12:10 (Ref:4220035)   #1
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Team of the Grand Prix: Hungarian Grand Prix 2024

Who gets your vote?
Old 21 Jul 2024, 14:44 (Ref:4220072)   #2
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Not McLaren so guess between Merc or Ferrari. Ferrari I guess.
Old 21 Jul 2024, 15:03 (Ref:4220080)   #3
elianne
Rookie

elianne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It should be McLaren based on performance and result but they managed to throw that away.
Old 21 Jul 2024, 15:06 (Ref:4220082)   #4
Tourer
Veteran

Australia
Sideways
Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!Tourer is going for a new lap record!
Despite the clumsiness of giving the 2nd driver on track the undercut, it's McLaren for me. Front row lockout, 1-2 Grand Prix result - and some radio drama in the last stint.
Old 21 Jul 2024, 15:09 (Ref:4220086)   #5
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
McLaren just, but it was messy.
Old 21 Jul 2024, 19:46 (Ref:4220150)   #6
GT6
Veteran

England
MAIDSTONE, KENT, ENGLAND
GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!GT6 is going for a new world record!
not sure how anyone could not give that to maclaren, even with the rather strange orders
Old 21 Jul 2024, 20:21 (Ref:4220160)   #7
Lancsbreaker
Veteran

England
Padiham, Lancashire
Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!Lancsbreaker has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by GT6 View Post
not sure how anyone could not give that to maclaren, even with the rather strange orders

Whilst I understand your opinion, I just can't bring myself to vote for McLaren given the clumsy way they handled the situation - and so I'm abstaining, as no other team merits it overall, for the weekend, so far as I can judge.
Old 21 Jul 2024, 22:57 (Ref:4220180)   #8
TrapezeArtist
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!TrapezeArtist has a real shot at the podium!
On the basis of speed and race results it was clearly McLaren. However the second pit stop strategy and the handling of the team orders was shambolic. So I had to look around for someone else. By ignoring George’s qually and race (a major piece of selective reasoning, I know) I chose Mercedes.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 00:17 (Ref:4220188)   #9
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I was going for McLaren, but after the team did what they did, my vote goes to Mercedes.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 03:20 (Ref:4220195)   #10
E.B
Veteran

United Kingdom
About 7kms East of Albert Park Melbourne
E.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameE.B will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancsbreaker View Post
Whilst I understand your opinion, I just can't bring myself to vote for McLaren given the clumsy way they handled the situation - and so I'm abstaining, as no other team merits it overall, for the weekend, so far as I can judge.

Thats where I sit. McLaren performed better, but shoehorned themselves into the shambolic ending all on their own.

I abstained from voting.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 03:30 (Ref:4220197)   #11
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Really interesting isn't it?

So many thought McLaren was the best but threw it away because it didnt happen the way they wanted it to.
Even elianne was disappointed and she picked Oscar to win in the predictions contest.

Go back to Stella's reply to Brundle in the Sky pre race preview when Brundle suggested that there would have been deep conversations on the Monday after Silverstone.
Stella said No! Thats not the way to run an F1 team.....

No one here who understands the sport should be sitting in judgement on the way a F1 team runs it operation.
No one.

If they locked out the front row and got a 1-2 result in the race it was as near to perfect as it could be and if they had a Prost senna type arrangement about the start and how whoever won the start would lead the result, then it is THEIR BUSINESS, not anyone elses.

So I voted for McLaren....
Old 22 Jul 2024, 07:27 (Ref:4220213)   #12
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Q: How can I not vote for the team that got a 1-2?

A: Because of the way they handled the whole thing. They need to have a rethink about how they deal with their drivers, and perhaps they need to think about whether they actually want to win the WDC or not.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 09:19 (Ref:4220224)   #13
Teretonga
Veteran

Teretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameTeretonga will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_r View Post
Q: How can I not vote for the team that got a 1-2?

A: Because of the way they handled the whole thing. They need to have a rethink about how they deal with their drivers, and perhaps they need to think about whether they actually want to win the WDC or not.

They can't win the WDC unless Max and RBR totally lose the plot.

There are 11 races left and a 76 point difference. Lando would have to have an average advantage of seven points per race across the remaining races.
Thats the difference between a first and a second, so effectively win every remaining race and Max finish second each time, and he would win by one point.

That is highly unlikely and one result where Max finished in front of Lando would leave him with a mountain to climb.

However, the difference in the constructor's championship is 51 points and if McLaren get the ball rolling and RBR drops the ball then Mclaren might get the constructors title, something that would make Stella and Brown very happy....
Old 22 Jul 2024, 10:01 (Ref:4220230)   #14
AndreasDavour
Veteran

Sweden
AndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridAndreasDavour should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teretonga View Post

So many thought McLaren was the best but threw it away because it didnt happen the way they wanted it to.
Even elianne was disappointed and she picked Oscar to win in the predictions contest.

Go back to Stella's reply to Brundle in the Sky pre race preview when Brundle suggested that there would have been deep conversations on the Monday after Silverstone.

No one here who understands the sport should be sitting in judgement on the way a F1 team runs it operation.
No one.

If they locked out the front row and got a 1-2 result in the race it was as near to perfect as it could be and if they had a Prost senna type arrangement about the start and how whoever won the start would lead the result, then it is THEIR BUSINESS, not anyone elses.

There are a lot of people who think they know how to run a team.

I think most people dislike team orders, but it is a team game. They should learn how to run at the front and do it cleaner, but they managed a 1-2 after stepping up to the dominant team and car, which it good enough for a vote from me. Kudos to Mercedes for getting there as well, and the amazing Lewis Hamilton.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 10:54 (Ref:4220236)   #15
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
Quote:
They can't win the WDC unless Max and RBR totally lose the plot.

There are 11 races left and a 76 point difference. Lando would have to have an average advantage of seven points per race across the remaining races.
Thats the difference between a first and a second, so effectively win every remaining race and Max finish second each time, and he would win by one point.

That is highly unlikely and one result where Max finished in front of Lando would leave him with a mountain to climb.

However, the difference in the constructor's championship is 51 points and if McLaren get the ball rolling and RBR drops the ball then Mclaren might get the constructors title, something that would make Stella and Brown very happy....
I know the numbers. I know it is unlikely. However, RBR might actually " totally lose the plot" because their main driver has the maturity of a hungry toddler. I mean he threw away 3rd in this race. McLaren might now be the best car and Ferrari and Merc can also take points of Verstappen. One DNF and another scrappy result makes the whole thing looks slightly different.

What confuses me most is the fact that McLaren were on the radio to Norris asking him to think of the Championship - as a reason for him to give up 1st place. But it is clear that McLaren are actually the ones NOT thinking about the championship. And for that reason, I really cannot vote them as team of the race despite the fact that they delivered a 1-2.
Old 22 Jul 2024, 11:45 (Ref:4220242)   #16
bjohnsonsmith
Race Official
20KPINAL

United States
London, England
bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!bjohnsonsmith is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:

No one.

I don't think it is so much about sitting in judgement in the way an F1 team runs it operation, but more to do with how the whole thing unfolded, in particular Will Joseph pleading with Lando over the radio to give up the lead.

Having done everything right, with both drivers on the front row and baring a major mishap a 1, 2 podium finish beckoning, it didn't come across well. I too voted for McLaren but as I said at the time, it was messy.

Last edited by bjohnsonsmith; 22 Jul 2024 at 12:02. Reason: Edit
Old 22 Jul 2024, 13:26 (Ref:4220259)   #17
morninggents
Veteran

England
Up north, near York.
morninggents should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
But it is clear that McLaren are actually the ones NOT thinking about the championship. And for that reason, I really cannot vote them as team of the race despite the fact that they delivered a 1-2.
Did you mean they delivered a 2-1?

For that reason I also abstained.
Old 23 Jul 2024, 22:49 (Ref:4220392)   #18
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by morninggents View Post
Did you mean they delivered a 2-1?

For that reason I also abstained.

Careful, too much salt can be damaging to your arteries.
Old 24 Jul 2024, 06:24 (Ref:4220418)   #19
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
I know the numbers. I know it is unlikely. However, RBR might actually " totally lose the plot" because their main driver has the maturity of a hungry toddler. I mean he threw away 3rd in this race. McLaren might now be the best car and Ferrari and Merc can also take points of Verstappen. One DNF and another scrappy result makes the whole thing looks slightly different.

What confuses me most is the fact that McLaren were on the radio to Norris asking him to think of the Championship - as a reason for him to give up 1st place. But it is clear that McLaren are actually the ones NOT thinking about the championship. And for that reason, I really cannot vote them as team of the race despite the fact that they delivered a 1-2.
Actually Steve the engineer said to Lando (not necessarily THIS championship)
If you want to (or "are going to ' win a championship you're going to need help from Oscar....
And Lando said after the race that 'Oscar has often done things to support me.'

Now from Lando's comments after the race the mention of morning discussions and agreements before the race gave me reason to believe the drivers and the team had agreed on a scenario about how they would attack that particular race because they didn't want to lose another one and had a unified plan of attack.
Obviously, Stella wouldn't want then taking each other out or destroying each other's race plan or tires etc. so there was a joint agreement on some issues.

If those agreements hinged around who won the start, and who had the lead after pitstops, then the changing of the lead was a natural outcome.

The lead driver wasn't to first to pit on the second round of stops and this was explained to Oscar why (to undercut Hamilton) before Lando stopped so Oscar's expectation and the team's expectation was that if Oscar was undercut then Lando would give the place to him which would fulfil the pre-race agreement made that in the morning discussion.

It's clear from driver interviews and Stellas post-race comments that this agreement had existed so why people get so worked up and don't look for the real reasons and can't simply read the driver interviews and answers to questions is something that bewilders me.
Its a team sport.
Old 24 Jul 2024, 14:22 (Ref:4220462)   #20
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
It's clear from driver interviews and Stellas post-race comments that this agreement had existed so why people get so worked up and don't look for the real reasons and can't simply read the driver interviews and answers to questions is something that bewilders me.
Its a team sport.
different people can read the same things and still come away from it drawing different conclusions...such is the way of people!

for me, reading their explanations only leaves me more bewildered...

if its a team sport then why didnt OP understand the need for Lando to have those points? why did he push for himself when the team would have benefited more from a Lando win while still achieving the same outcome for the constructors?

why do pre race arraignments hold more importance than the realities of the ever changing dynamic of a live competition? everyone has a plan until they get punched...then you need a new plan!

if the team was worried about a SC scuppering their plans, which at that point of the race looked likely because Max was massively overdriving, then even more reason to cover the possibility that Max might put himself out of the race and further reduce the WDC gap?

so to me their explanations made it seem like they were not actually following the race but rather adhering to a pre set program...which to me was odd. its a long season with lots of points still up for grabs so time will tell on that one tho.

when i read 'this is a team sport' i dont focus on the word 'team'...i focus on the word 'sport' and for me competitive sports means fighting for championships and not leaving points on the table. do they do it differently in basketball or football?

so different strokes for different folks!
Old 24 Jul 2024, 22:35 (Ref:4220502)   #21
Teretonga
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
different people can read the same things and still come away from it drawing different conclusions...such is the way of people!

for me, reading their explanations only leaves me more bewildered...

if its a team sport then why didnt OP understand the need for Lando to have those points? why did he push for himself when the team would have benefited more from a Lando win while still achieving the same outcome for the constructors?

why do pre race arraignments hold more importance than the realities of the ever changing dynamic of a live competition? everyone has a plan until they get punched...then you need a new plan!

if the team was worried about a SC scuppering their plans, which at that point of the race looked likely because Max was massively overdriving, then even more reason to cover the possibility that Max might put himself out of the race and further reduce the WDC gap?

so to me their explanations made it seem like they were not actually following the race but rather adhering to a pre set program...which to me was odd. its a long season with lots of points still up for grabs so time will tell on that one tho.

when i read 'this is a team sport' i dont focus on the word 'team'...i focus on the word 'sport' and for me competitive sports means fighting for championships and not leaving points on the table. do they do it differently in basketball or football?

so different strokes for different folks!
Because there was a pre-arrangement about who won the start. Oscar did so Lando was playing rear gunner which is why he got the first stop on the second round of stops. If people listened to Stella's explanation of the strategy they would understand that.

It is not up to Oscar to make those decisions. Oscar is an employee, not a shareholder.
Stella is the team Principal and he wasn't going to have anything like a Prost/ Senna or Hamilton/Rosberg situation, or a Webber/Vettel '21 situation, or a Pironi/JV situation. Not in his team.

At the start Oscar got it but Lando had Max and Lewis playing around with him. By the time Max gave him the place back Oscar was 2+ seconds up the road. The lead car in clear air usually has less strain on the tyres than following cars. Lando only had to stay ahead of Max and Lewis and hinder them to let Oscar have an easy run and stop for the first section of the GP and it worked fine. Second sector was good but toward the end Max and Ham in a battle was shortening the odds so they brought Lando in to maintain the rear gunner position but Oscar's mistake and tyre pace meant his two more laps weren't as quick as Lando's first two on new rubber, so he got undercut.

Then once Oscar was back out the team immediately asked Lando to revert to the order, but Lando had other ideas and wanted to argue.

If he had not argued but simply allowed the two to converge and swap over we probably wouldn't be having this conversation and millions of words spoken on various online websites wouldn't have taken place.

Scribes make their money by talking up controversy whether it real or just imagined so they have had plenty to do this week but tomorrow we're off to Spa and a whole new bull-red game will ensure over Max's engine penalty, if it is taken at Spa.
Old 24 Jul 2024, 23:19 (Ref:4220508)   #22
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
Had they not fumbled it with their radio, there would still be questions about why the driver 2nd in the WDC gave up 7pts to their team mate imo.

11 races to go, 250+pts up for grabs, they have a car advantage, strong across a variety of tracks, Max has penalties coming up so why not take the points for Lando (more so once they saw how the race was playing out)…I would say this is a fairly common thing to talk about during championships battles and may even feature more prominently as the season goes on?
Old 25 Jul 2024, 07:10 (Ref:4220526)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by chillibowl View Post
Had they not fumbled it with their radio, there would still be questions about why the driver 2nd in the WDC gave up 7pts to their team mate imo.
Yep. This for me.