Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 10 Dec 2002, 22:43 (Ref:447306)   #1
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How would you improve F1 coverage apart from going digital?

The main thing I would do is get directors who will show all the cars and not just Ferrari. Also, I would show more onboard footage. I would also use team radio as well.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 23:10 (Ref:447325)   #2
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make it interactive where you can choose what cameras you want and radios.
Old 10 Dec 2002, 23:41 (Ref:447349)   #3
J.McClane
Veteran

J.McClane should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Make the "sport" worth watchin' in the first place
Old 11 Dec 2002, 01:11 (Ref:447385)   #4
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I'd love to see the return of the full telemetry; Brake, RPM and speed data.
I saw a footwell camera used once aswell showing the drivers feet working, I think split screen stuff would be good - why isn't this used, having the drivers feet in one corner of the screen, with the main image focused on the drivers car?

Better placings of cameras would be another point. One camera point I always hate is the view down the long straight at Spa, from la combe. They should have that camera higher up and to the right so the camera can pan the cars while braking.

Last edited by Sodemo; 11 Dec 2002 at 01:14.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 02:04 (Ref:447393)   #5
Aussiefan

I would make the coverage more informative for the viewers. This would include placing a lap counter, unobtrusively, in one corner of the screen at all times during the race; more updates of track positions and gaps and as suggested, more camera angles especially on board footage.

Old 11 Dec 2002, 02:14 (Ref:447394)   #6
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year, I am not sure what race it was, the TV station showed a graphic that showed a Ferrari and a Williams going into a corner. It was a replay of MS's qualifying lap with an overlay of a Williams car. So the Williams was superimposed on the replay of the Ferrari run. It was only done once and in one corner. To me this was the best and most creative thing I have ever seen in any race coverage.
Imagine if this was done with the new qualifying format. We would be able to see Where MS is quicker than RB and vice -versa. If anyone here has ever played Grand Turismo its like the ghost in the replays of a lap.
I would also like to see impartial footage and hear impartial commentary. If a BAR and a Minardi are fighting it out for 17th spot (hope BAR never sinks that low) then show that instead of the Ferrari parade up front. Also more onboard footage, especially for the passes!
Old 11 Dec 2002, 02:38 (Ref:447397)   #7
ringo
Racer

ringo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one thing i think they must do is to get the camera men to use less zoom shots. it takes away the look and feel of speed. when ever i'm watching races with people who don't follow motorsport they always say "doesn't look that quick".

LESS ZOOM
Old 11 Dec 2002, 04:03 (Ref:447416)   #8
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
For a start, I'd replace James Allen with Eddie Irvine, replace Louise Goodman with someone who is clear enough so that we can understand what is said in the pit's interview.
And I'd get rid of the commercial breaks by having creative advertising either at the bottom of the screen or on screen but continue the GP broadcast in a small window on the screen.
And lots more viewing of the cars other than the leading car.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 05:26 (Ref:447428)   #9
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Everyone seems to agree with my opinion, show the people further back! I think a much better job was done last year, but more needs to be done. Behind the front there was some good action last year and it should become the focus.

Personally I don't get what the fuss is about F1 being uncompetitive and boring now. In 2001 & 2002, it's been more entertaining than when Mika was winning.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 05:46 (Ref:447435)   #10
bingman
Racer

bingman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one simple word-

HOT HOOCHIE MAMAS
Old 11 Dec 2002, 11:08 (Ref:447531)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
A timing screen would be good.

Friday practice would be good too. Especially now it counts (in a minor way).

I would like to see the build-up. The cars leaving the pits, etc... Apart from building a sense of occasion you can pick up a few tit-bits about the cars/drivers and the following race. It's better than Jarno Trulli cooking/shopping/being asked inane questions.

Also I would like a commentary that doesn't have to explain the fundamentals of racing every race (or every session!). Even a rookie to F1 viewing will pick it up. Let them enjoy the process of finding out. This way more viewing is rewarded. As it is now you watch your second F1 race and you are patronised.

No advertisements.

Also a natural and knowledgeable commentary team. Ben Edwards and Martin Brundle. Please, please, please.

And a decent pit lane reported that asks questions rather than statements
"you must be disappointed"
"er, yes"

And interviews all the time. With drivers during qualifying. And interview every driver after the race. Catch them wandering around the paddock, etc...

Studio people who can just chat about F1 without having to think about what will make more people watch! Don't just blindly build up the British hope. Talk about him, yes, especially if most people watching are British, but be realistic about there chances.

And have time to show massive 3/4 hour interviews with people involved in F1. The Ron Dennis one was fantastic, some of the stuff about him getting into F1 and then into McClaren was great. And he talked candidly about all the drivers. Great stuff.

And make sure that everyone involved has been involved in F1 and their favourite sport is F1.

I've seen this. It was great. Now it is no more. ITV can't do some of the things above and won't do most of the others. I fear I may just be tuning in 5 minutes before the race and leaving straight away afterwards. I learn nothing from ITV (apart from where the best shops are in Sao Paolo or how to make a good pasta sauce).
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:24 (Ref:447551)   #12
dragon x
Rookie

dragon x should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great proposals - I hope they'll put them in use. I'd like to see more data on the screen - speed and rpm may be, time in the current lap of the selected driver. I remember in the early/mid-90s they used to put more info on the screen with some nice graphics of the cars and a photo of the drivers. In Brazil 1994 they had even Senna's pulse. Awesome.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:33 (Ref:447555)   #13
JonesF1
Racer

JonesF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Last year, I am not sure what race it was, the TV station showed a graphic that showed a Ferrari and a Williams going into a corner. It was a replay of MS's qualifying lap with an overlay of a Williams car. So the Williams was superimposed on the replay of the Ferrari run. It was only done once and in one corner. To me this was the best and most creative thing I have ever seen in any race coverage.
Imagine if this was done with the new qualifying format. We would be able to see Where MS is quicker than RB and vice -versa. If anyone here has ever played Grand Turismo its like the ghost in the replays of a lap.
Very cool. I missed it but do you know if it was on Speed or ABC, during the race?
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:42 (Ref:447557)   #14
Barbazza
Racer

Barbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridBarbazza should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
They should have a ticker running at the top of the screen like the do on CART coverage, updating positions, gaps, pit stops etc. The split screen idea is fantastic - directors could indulge their obssession with showing someone miles in the lead with a little window in one corner while a battle further down the field takes up the bulk of the screen. Sky Sports do a split screen advert thingy in the football coverage on Saturdays, ITV could try that. Also we should not lose Fridays - surely there can't be anything worthwhile on ITV2 on a Friday (or any day?) so they could bung it on there if they are too scared to put it on ITV1. If Bernie gives them better TV pictures he should also get guarantees every minute of every Saturday qualifying and Sunday race is shown so the Coronations St omninbus doesn't screw up our Indy weekend.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 12:49 (Ref:447561)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by neilap
Last year, I am not sure what race it was, the TV station showed a graphic that showed a Ferrari and a Williams going into a corner.
I'm not sure it was this year, but I remember that being done at Magny-Cours, into the final chicane and hairpin.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 14:34 (Ref:447640)   #16
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
I thought your earlier post had some great ideas Adam, especially the increased number of interviews with team members and drivers. Maybe they could extend the grid walkabout that Martin Brundle does as I always find that quite informative and entertaining. The great thing about Martin Brundle is that he is respected amongst the team principles and that alone is what allows him to get many of the interviews he does.

As has been mentioned in a previous thread, I would like to see F1 have their own producer who works closely with the host nation so that we get the same level of coverage at each race. All too often we are subjected to watching a solitary car, mid field, for several laps purely because the driver is the same nationality as the host GP.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 15:18 (Ref:447678)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Hopefully next year they will have there own producer - if they are using the digital feed.

Martin could just hang around the pitlane/grid for an hour before the race and they could show the interviews when he gets them. they wouldn't be rushed and he could get loads of interviews. That would be great.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 17:26 (Ref:447747)   #18
pole2pole
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Belfast
pole2pole should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The problem here is that I watched every race last season though the f1 digital plus channel on the sky network and as for as iam concerned thats the way f1 coverage should be but however things change and i hope that includes itv,s coverage. With the new rules regarding qualifying I think the coverage should include the friday one hour session as i think this is an important part of the racing weekend now and with one car at a time qualifying on saterday how about dropping the add breaks for the session if not we will miss quite a few cars on there fast laps. All the qualifying and races should be broadcast liveif this cant be done on itv1 then howabout itv2. Iam sure that all the people in here who bought the races on the f1 digital plus channel this season would agree that if itv dont increase there coverage it will be nowhere near good enough.
Old 11 Dec 2002, 20:23 (Ref:447835)   #19
Speedworx
Veteran

United Kingdom
Northamptonshire
Speedworx should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
To improve F1, I would....................

1. Ban Michael Schumacher and Ferrari
2. Remove front and rear wings
3. Add oval races
4. Bring in 1 engine and chassis
5. Bring in more tyre makes
6. Introduce money system to get more cars on the grid
7. Add a night race
8. Ban all Hermann Tilke designed tracks
9. Ban all in-season testing and Friday practice
10. Allow teams to run different liveries

Just a few ideas.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 02:04 (Ref:448000)   #20
neilap
Veteran

Jamaica
neilap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by JonesF1
Very cool. I missed it but do you know if it was on Speed or ABC, during the race?
I think Adam is correct. I meant 2001 not last season, my mistake. it was on Speed.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 03:42 (Ref:448021)   #21
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Show races from 1993 and earlier, and just give the results of the current race at the end.

You can polish a turd all you want...
Old 12 Dec 2002, 06:49 (Ref:448055)   #22
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
On that, show more old races

On the coverage, keep it simple, no fancy stuff, i couldn't care less about the telemetry and driver-to-pits radio, i wanna see the racing.

And bring back the over the shoulder racecams, rather than the current one's which are situated above the airbox.
Old 12 Dec 2002, 07:26 (Ref:448064)   #23
Red
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest, Romania
Red should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by hakkiman
To improve F1, I would....................

1. Ban Michael Schumacher and Ferrari
2. Remove front and rear wings
3. Add oval races
4. Bring in 1 engine and chassis
5. Bring in more tyre makes
6. Introduce money system to get more cars on the grid
7. Add a night race
8. Ban all Hermann Tilke designed tracks
9. Ban all in-season testing and Friday practice
10. Allow teams to run different liveries

Just a few ideas.
Isn't it called NASCAR? :confused:... Anyway, you need to be a veeeeery powerful TV director to impose all those in your quest to "How would you improve F1 coverage apart from going digital".
Old 12 Dec 2002, 08:30 (Ref:448102)   #24
twig
Veteran

twig should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
yeah hakkiman, why dont you just rename it CART whilst you're at it!?
Point 1 suits it, 3 also, sorta 4, 6 as well, not sure about 7, 8 is right, and rightly so, and 10 is right as well!