Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 18 Jul 2003, 06:47 (Ref:664595)   #1
Surtees
Rookie

Surtees should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Silverstone new pit lane????

BBC news said this morning that Silverstone has been told to build a new pitlane.

Er - why? Compare to the likes of Monaco, which is a death trap, the Silverstone pitlane is heaven!!

Anyone else think that someone up there is just trying to push Silverstone off the calendar?
Old 18 Jul 2003, 07:00 (Ref:664600)   #2
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Firstly I agree that all this critism of Silverstone is unfair and the people involved clearly have a hidden agenda

on saying that I would like to see some improvements to the Silverstone facilities for no other reason than from an engineering point of view Britain is still the home of motor racing (I mean no insult to other nations but just the fact that most of the teams are based here and even Mercedes build there engines here)and as such should have a home circuit which is of world class standard.

Plans were released a number of years ago for circuit up grades but parking and traffic problems have taken the focus away from the circuit itself. Now that these appear to have been put to bed I think we can look forward to the promised developments over the coming years.

So how about certain people just shut up and be patient
Old 18 Jul 2003, 07:21 (Ref:664609)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Part of the circuit upgrade was a new pit complex (permanent for F1 teams to have one each all year round) was to be built on Hanger.

These plans have had lots of changes to the track. New bits of track, (slightly) banked corner...

None have come about. I think it was decided it wasn't needed. (?) But I'm not sure. I got a bit bored of the comtinual SIlvertone future articles that appear every week and have done for the last five years.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 07:26 (Ref:664612)   #4
Redlake27
Racer

Redlake27 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie.Max.
Go and stand at Copse,Becketts,Maggotts. Savour the moment.
It is not a Herman Tilke track.
If you have F1 blood in your veins you will tingle.
Do that this weekend, the shut the f**k up.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 07:41 (Ref:664619)   #5
eein
Racer

eein should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Bernie and Max just have the hump coz most of the improvements to the circuit have been to the benifit of us meere mortals. They want more improvements for the bigwigs. Bernie is still sore at not being allowed to land his helecopter a couple of years ago, having to land neaby and drive in, making him late for some meetings.

It would not surprise me if he wants the pitlane changed so that he can use the old one as his personal landing strip!
Old 18 Jul 2003, 09:09 (Ref:664675)   #6
Armco Bender
Llama Assassin and Sheep Botherer
Veteran

New Zealand
International Sheep Ambassador
Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!Armco Bender is going for a new world record!
The last IRL race I was watching from Hillbillyville or some where,the pit lane was 4 cars wide,not including where the cars stop,bet no F1 tracks pit lanes are that wide.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 09:29 (Ref:664690)   #7
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Originally posted by me in another thread but it seems relevant here

I'm still struggling with the "up to the standard of" thing. Silverstone, like the rest of Britain isn't Malaysia, America or Italy etc.

We don't have the space for wide roads and vast expanses of tarmac. We never will have the space so how could you build Sepang and its environs in Northamptonshire?

You will never, ever get a roast pork bun in Sepang!
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:23 (Ref:664826)   #8
Tristan
Veteran

Tristan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The only time I've ever seen an F1 car is when me and Minardifan went to F1 testing at Silverstone (and most excellent it was too). If you've ever been, as I'm certain many of you have, you'll know that you stand kinda near the pit lane entrance. You will also be aware of the COLOSSAL speed at which the cars enter the pits at Silverstone, and I remeber commenting to Miniman "gosh, Darren Manning's going in there a bit fast isn't he?? Surely that's a bit dogy" and we both agreed that perhaps a new pit lane might be nice. Perhaps one with a little chicane. And a shrubbery. With some gnomes.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:30 (Ref:664834)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Its got a chicane and the "gnome" turns up and complains every year.
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:30 (Ref:664835)   #10
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
[B][i]

Good. That's my holiday destination booked then......
Old 18 Jul 2003, 12:50 (Ref:664853)   #11
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
Good. That's my holiday destination booked then......
But I know where you can get one in KL.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 19:44 (Ref:666470)   #12
CleanTone
Racer

Romania
Colentina
CleanTone should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have you seen the race and still sustain the pit lane. Twice it was close for accidents to happen, one avoided last second by a sauber
Old 20 Jul 2003, 19:53 (Ref:666473)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
According to Sir Jackie Stewart (on silverstone radio this weekend), it all depends on the funding. If the BRDC get government funding then they will build the new pit complex along Hanger Straight, if the don't, then they will upgrade the existing complex.
Old 20 Jul 2003, 21:13 (Ref:666541)   #14
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually, the pit lane was supposed to be across the track from Hangar, at Farm. And club would have been banked.

Here's the plan, from the Butcher of Hockenheim.

Damn teams are pampered beyond belief... A bunch of spoiled whiners.

This just sickens me to look at:

Old 20 Jul 2003, 22:19 (Ref:666629)   #15
Matthopps
Racer

United Kingdom
Rotherham, South Yorkshire
Matthopps should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Just leave the track as it is a partly rebuild the pit lane, after all, the entrace and exits are a bit narrow and could be made a few feet wider.....about 3-4ft that is.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 13:24 (Ref:667132)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee Janotta
Actually, the pit lane was supposed to be across the track from Hangar,
Lee, Sir Jackie Stewart said, live on Silverstone TV that the new pit complex would be down Hanger.

The pic you posted (which was touted about a couple of seasons ago) was for track changes and new pits. As i understand it, the track is now not going to be changed, just the pits.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 14:41 (Ref:667205)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Hmm,

Its not unusual to have two grades of pits. Presumably the existing ones would remain for International and National club circuit events.

But it will involve an awful lot more than just relocation. All the coms, poser, telemetry and accommodation requirements will be the same as for now.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:18 (Ref:667253)   #18
Cynic
Veteran

England
Somwhere Near Reading.UK
Cynic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not to mention the fact that the Silverstone race school buildings and circuits would be in the way if a new complex was built along the Hangar straight. Bernie whingeing about Silverstone seems to be becoming an annual event. If he really does care about the spectators, he should stick to ways of making the racing better and leave the facilities to the track owners.
Old 21 Jul 2003, 15:24 (Ref:667259)   #19
chrisgr31
Racer

chrisgr31 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
Originally posted by me in another thread but it seems relevant here

I'm still struggling with the "up to the standard of" thing. Silverstone, like the rest of Britain isn't Malaysia, America or Italy etc.

We don't have the space for wide roads and vast expanses of tarmac. We never will have the space so how could you build Sepang and its environs in Northamptonshire?

The design of the circuit at Malayasia means that it doesn't take up much space. I expect the circuit would easily fit inside the confines of Silverstone.

I have been to a Grand Prix at Malayasia and there is no doubt that the facilities for the spectator there are fantastic, however they did start with a clean sheet of paper and have lots of money to spend.

I understand that Silverstone have improved the access roads, the toilets, the parking and in my opinion they need to look at improving what the spectator actually sees. The pit complex, the grandstands opposite all look old and run down, and don't necessarilly give a good impression. However I think the real problem for the spectator is that unless you are at the right point at the complex you only see a Grand Prix car for about 2 seconds a lap, not a great return for £125.