Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 31 Jul 2003, 21:26 (Ref:676679)   #76
R
Veteran

R should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hungary 89, I'm with you too. (Maybe this should be a poll? Who agrees with Hungary 89, and who doesn't. )
Old 31 Jul 2003, 22:31 (Ref:676714)   #77
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Home :)
Valve Bounce has been held in scrutiny for further testing
Clean sporting behaviour

Let's not be silly about sport. The only sport where I can think of where we didn't cheat (and even that was not always true) is dinghy sailing. They cheat in tennis (rememeber the French Open when Serena lost?), athletics and swimming where drugs are taken, Rugby where there is eye gouging and whatever, cricket where players know they are out and pretend they are not, .....I can go on. Sure, we all detest cheating, and unsportsmanlike behaviour in sport, but there are very few sports where thre is no cheating. Perhaps bowling and darts are clean. Then of course there is horse racing.

We can be idealistic and have a clean sportsmanlike behaviour in some brand of sport, and I'd love that. Can't think of many though.

Last edited by Valve Bounce; 31 Jul 2003 at 22:32.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 06:32 (Ref:676834)   #78
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VB, it's not about cheating. It's about behaving. I never said TGF cheats (I believe Hungary89 didn't either). All we are saying is that he lost our respect (as a great driver) just because he behaves as he is God's gift to F1, and the rest are just ordinary mortals.

P.S. I probably wouldn't react like that, but I just read an article about TGF complaining that McLaren used team orders in Silverstone
Old 1 Aug 2003, 06:50 (Ref:676841)   #79
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Are we still discussing this? It was racing and as it is rote today. Can't see anything wrong with it. Unfortunately we appear to be conditioned to the racing styles of previous eras. They all do it to a greater or lesser degree. Didn't Kimi and Montoya have a go and Montoya ended up with a damaged car last year?

Sorry but it is racing in this centuray. They both knew what they were doing and as I said before I've heard no complaints from Alonzo.

Anyway its nearly time for the free practice and we can see how Justin gets on.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 06:53 (Ref:676845)   #80
Hungary 89
Racer

England
Midlands (England)
Hungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridHungary 89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
VB you are absolutly right this sort of thing goes on in all sports (Taking a dive in football is a classic example)but to quote another old fashioned saying "Two wrongs don't make a right" Just because everyone is doing it doesn't mean I have to like it. (but I suspect from your tone that you wouldn't disagree with that)

Ljakse I fully agree with you

Cheers
Old 1 Aug 2003, 10:46 (Ref:677021)   #81
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
I detest cheating in any form of sport. I once hit a buoy in a championship race, went back to re-round, and one of the other sailors asked why I went back as nobody saw it. My answer: "I saw it". However, when you reach my age, I guess one has to accept the realities of life.

So yeah!! I fully agree with you, Hungary 89. I still remember John Landy stopping and going back to help Ron Clark who fell over in a race.
Old 1 Aug 2003, 10:48 (Ref:677024)   #82
Valve Bounce
Veteran

Australia
Maybe cheating is one form of unsportsmanlike behaviour.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 08:20 (Ref:677705)   #83
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
???? I'm just curious... where is this thread heading? It seems to be going out of point after some fellas decide to take the high moral grounds with their opinions..

Cheating is one form of unsportsmanlike behavoir. Agreed.
I like F1 and it should remain a sports, not business no matter the money. Agreed.
Nobody should resort to dirty or dangerous tactics to win a race. Agreed.

In all counts, i agree with many things those supposedly "anti-Schumachers" (guess it's difficult to find another name to term the group of you, just like it's easier to call all who thinks positive of MS as "Schumacher fanatics" ), but the thing is, all the accusations of dangerous driving, unsporting moves, etc, imho, does not apply in this exact senario. And i stand by that.

If MS had, while Alonso is BESIDE him, squeezed him onto the grass and endanger FA's life, i'd be critical. But in this case, it simply hold no ground. Firstly, MS had defended the inside line before FA got beside. Secondly, in terms of points/results, MS had more to lose so it's unlikely he'd jeopardize that. Thirdly, the move did not put FA/himself at danger simply for the fact that MS did not drive INTO FA(as i mentioned at the start of the paragraph). It is just simple racing.

Quote Ijakse:"P.S. I probably wouldn't react like that, but I just read an article about TGF complaining that McLaren used team orders in Silverstone "

See, this proves what i believe many posters have a bias against MS. They read/see something about MS, and automatically assumes it to be unsporting/wrong/negative/sour grapes/etc.. I won't be going into the details, but MS did NOT complain about Mclaren team orders nor say it's wrong of Mclaren implementing TO. He is voicing out concern over the "double standards" FIA is dealing with the issue of Ferrari using TO and other teams using TO now that it is banned. In short, it's against FIA, not Mclaren. Chill it.
Old 2 Aug 2003, 08:51 (Ref:677712)   #84
miramar
Rookie

miramar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alonso showed inexperience and not patience. should have anticipated that schumacher was going to move over to defend his line and lean on him.
then put both right wheels on the grass and risked to lose control.
and montoya get by.