Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 15 Nov 2003, 18:46 (Ref:784458)   #1
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
1994 Season

There have been many threads about this contreversial season but I wish to add a little more.

As part of my off season ritual I have been watching/studying past season races. Starting with the oldest race in my collection the 1994 Brazillian Gp I noticed something that had escaped me previously.

On the warm up lap 2nd place man Schumacher can clearly be seen overtaking pole man Senna on the back straight and speeds off some three or four car lengths ahead.

Some four months later ofcourse he is penalised for this and endangers his championship.

Proof then that lack of Stability in the rules is nothing new.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 19:56 (Ref:784486)   #2
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, the stewards probably didn't think Schumacher would humiliate Senna like he did. Hence they didn't punish him.

Does passing on the formation lap really deserve a penalty anyway? It's happened loads of times and it was only ever punished at Silverstone in 1994. (I think the stewards were just toying with Benetton and Schumacher that race - they wanted their man Damon Hill to win the title so they decided to help him by penalising Schumacher heavily for a minor offence).
Old 15 Nov 2003, 20:06 (Ref:784490)   #3
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Yoong Montoya
(I think the stewards were just toying with Benetton and Schumacher that race - they wanted their man Damon Hill to win the title so they decided to help him by penalising Schumacher heavily for a minor offence).
So, your saying that the stewards were British and wanted their man to win? How about 4 years later when Michael escaped a penalty at the same place?

BTW, Michael was heavily penalised for ignoring a stop and go, not for the parade lap.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 20:09 (Ref:784491)   #4
Mr V
Veteran

England
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
BTW, overtaking on the parade lap only usually happens when a car has been slow getting away properly, but then the (slow) car retakes its correct position. What Michael did was a blatent disgregard of the rules, something that doesn't usually happen.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 20:16 (Ref:784497)   #5
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think Mr V has quite got it right. As Schumacher had won 6 of the first 7 races, he was looking set to run away with the title, which, coupled with Imola that year, would've made F1 look decidely boring to the uninitiated, and have seriously reduced viewing figures.

That's why there was pressure to keep the championship chase alive, by any means neccessary, which is why Schumacher was disqualified from 2 races, and excluded from 2, when the Silverstone disqualification was only half-fair and the others were downright unfair.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 20:31 (Ref:784508)   #6
NiceGuyEddie
Veteran

NiceGuyEddie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr V
So, your saying that the stewards were British and wanted their man to win? How about 4 years later when Michael escaped a penalty at the same place?

BTW, Michael was heavily penalised for ignoring a stop and go, not for the parade lap.
He didn't escape a penalty. Ferrari found a loophole and used it.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 21:37 (Ref:784556)   #7
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Inconsistencies in the rules have & the way they are interpreted are unfortunately part of the sport regardless of the category & Mr. V is correct in that unless there are exceptional circumstances you shouldn't break from your position on the parade lap.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 22:23 (Ref:784606)   #8
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hardly Boots, the FIA KNEW Benetton were running illegal systems that year, just couldn't prove it. If it was all about keeping the Championship alive why not do it again in 2002? 1994 was the only occasion Schu has been justly punished for blantently disregarding the rules. It sure as hell hasn't happened since.
Old 15 Nov 2003, 23:00 (Ref:784629)   #9
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
BTW, overtaking on the parade lap only usually happens when a car has been slow getting away properly, but then the (slow) car retakes its correct position. What Michael did was a blatent disgregard of the rules, something that doesn't usually happen.
Rule 136 of the FIA laws state that a driver should only overtake on the formation lap if the car in front has technical problems.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 12:28 (Ref:784958)   #10
Kex
Veteran

England
The Palace of Dreams
Kex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael deliberately overtook on both formation laps which is illegal.

But most of the blame is Benetton's for not having a proper understanding of the regulations. You cannot argue about a black flag, regardless of whether it is right or wrong to show it. Black flag means game over, no arguments.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 12:50 (Ref:784972)   #11
Damon
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hampshire, England
Damon should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Exactly, the initial punishment was a minor one in accordance with the minor offece (overtaking on the formation lap). The later, harder punishment was for the far worse offence of out right ignoring the stewards. This was more Brawn and Briatorie's doing than Schumachers though.
Old 16 Nov 2003, 23:10 (Ref:785285)   #12
alesi95
Veteran

alesi95 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
During 1993 Prost was convinced the FIA were unfairly penailsing him to make the championship more exciting.
His jump start at Monaco and missing a chicane at Hockenhiem to avoid a spinning Ligier are two notable moments.

Incidently you may remember Ferrari were also suspected of running traction control at points in 94. At Aida they admitted to running a "power reduction" device. They were disallowed to run it during the race.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 04:29 (Ref:785413)   #13
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
Originally posted by alesi95

His jump start at Monaco and missing a chicane at Hockenhiem to avoid a spinning Ligier are two notable moments.

A jump starts a jump start.

With regards to the Ligier, iirc, that was Martin Brundle who went through the chicane backwards, and also got penalised
Old 17 Nov 2003, 04:42 (Ref:785420)   #14
Mr V
Veteran

England
Quote:
During 1993 Prost was convinced the FIA were unfairly penailsing him to make the championship more exciting.
Don't forget, this was also the guy who thought he was being penalised by HONDA, who he thought favoured Senna, dispite having only 1 failure to Senna's 5
Old 17 Nov 2003, 09:47 (Ref:785602)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Re: 1994 Season

Quote:
Proof then that lack of Stability in the rules is nothing new.
I think the most likely 'cause' of this is that the Stewards in Brasil either didn't see it or didn't know it was a problem. Maybe because it wasn't as obvious as in Silverstone (?).
Old 17 Nov 2003, 10:15 (Ref:785632)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thought that the rev-limiter had to be dis-armed after ferrari asked "is this legal" or something, it was totaly fair i think, we're talking about John Barnard here...oh wait, ignore that.

also, 94 was the last year i remember them advertising f1 races on tv...
and talk about bittersweet! adelaide: Mansell winning the race which is just like...i mean how can you hate that? And Hill loosing the championship after (and i'll admit it, i think still) schumacher rammed him, but in circumspect it looks like he was desperatly trying to block hill, but we're not going to talk about this. But anyway, some of the races in 94 where desperatly boring, like San Marino, but then again, thats not boring - its horrific (i still have it on tape, i only watch it to show people how that Australian F1 broadcast music has allways been cool )
Old 17 Nov 2003, 13:26 (Ref:785865)   #17
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by BootsOntheSide
..... .would've made F1 look decidely boring to the uninitiated,

and look what happened in the years which followed - if 94 was boring, you didn't even need to be uninitiated after that, only comatose......
Old 17 Nov 2003, 14:53 (Ref:786006)   #18
paulzinho
Veteran

Brazil
Larkfield, Kent, UK
paulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpaulzinho should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Agree there!
Old 17 Nov 2003, 15:04 (Ref:786015)   #19
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Don't forget, this was also the guy who thought he was being penalised by HONDA, who he thought favoured Senna, dispite having only 1 failure to Senna's 5

The point wasn't because he thought that Honda were giving him unreliable engines but that Senna got all the latest engine upgrades alot sooner than him.
Old 17 Nov 2003, 16:38 (Ref:786166)   #20
Mr V
Veteran

England
If that was the case, then it did him a favour, Senna tested them to distruction and Prost won the WDC
Old 18 Nov 2003, 04:42 (Ref:786742)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A look back at video of the 1989 season, it does seem that Senna had a much easier job of overtaking Prost (well, except at Suzuka) than vice versa.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 02:14 (Ref:791174)   #22
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
And honda had a press conference to show the world that they give identical engines to both drivers.Jeez,it was pathetic even then,everyone knew the electronics controling the engines could be modified even during the race no matter how they allocated engines.
I'm not saying it's wrong that they would want to favour a driver,just anoying that they thought we were all stupid.
Old 22 Nov 2003, 20:05 (Ref:791611)   #23
Yoong Montoya
Veteran

Yoong Montoya should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
and look what happened in the years which followed - if 94 was boring, you didn't even need to be uninitiated after that, only comatose......

Well, if it weren't for Schumi, 1998 would have been every bit as boring as 2002 unless you're a McLaren fan. I guess the 2002 domination was justice for Schumi after his bad luck in '98