Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 2 Jan 2004, 21:06 (Ref:825941)   #1
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mcrae to race in LM & LMES with Care Racing?!?

Just found this article on Autosport.com http://www.autosport.com/newsitem.asp?id=25624&s=13 Now this would be very good news for sportscar racing - big names like Mcrae dont race in sportscars every day, what is more signifcant though is the fact he appears to be choosing a GTS car over a LMP car, with team mates like Enge and Kox if Mcrae joins the Care Racing squad cars should be VERY strong this year.

Last edited by SALEEN S7R; 2 Jan 2004 at 21:07.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 21:13 (Ref:825949)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I saw that in Autosport yesterday. The story about Colin going sportscar racing has been around for a while. If he ends up in a Ferrari with Care/Prodrive then it will be great. At the end of day if he ends up driving at Le Mans you never know we get some proper TV coverage here in the UK...........
Old 2 Jan 2004, 21:16 (Ref:825955)   #3
73_Gstock
Racer

United States
Iowa, lovely Iowa
73_Gstock should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is he going to need a co-driver yelling instructions?

Good to see that Colin has somewhere to go next year.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 21:22 (Ref:825963)   #4
SALEEN S7R
Veteran

England
Poole, England
SALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSALEEN S7R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by rdjones
I saw that in Autosport yesterday. The story about Colin going sportscar racing has been around for a while.
Oh yeah I know that - what I didnt know though is which team he was most likely to join, didnt know he was thinking of contesting the LMES too either until today..
Old 2 Jan 2004, 21:24 (Ref:825965)   #5
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Ferrari this year, aston driver next!
I just hope they have enough spares.
Old 2 Jan 2004, 21:43 (Ref:825981)   #6
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Nordic
Ferrari this year, aston driver next!
I just hope they have enough spares.
Lets hope so, he has got better over the last few years. I see he hasn't crashed the Nissan on the Prais/Daker yet...........
Old 3 Jan 2004, 08:54 (Ref:826297)   #7
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Just one thing : what if LM become the meeting point of the best pilots of other categories (Mc Rae, Villeneuve, and so on !) ?

I think it's still THE race to win once in a pilot life...
Old 3 Jan 2004, 11:45 (Ref:826396)   #8
vinnie
Rookie

vinnie should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Last year collin also did a practice session in a nescar car. He drove in england at an oval track. The lap times were great. I hope that he cares about the care car!!!!!!!!
Old 3 Jan 2004, 16:32 (Ref:826596)   #9
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
In the past he has raced in the BTCC, where he had a bit of a coming together with one Matt Neal. He also raced ASCAR at Rockingham, during one of the Champ Car Race a couple of years. He also tested a Porsche 911 at Oulton Park at the back end of last year.

Last edited by rdjones; 3 Jan 2004 at 16:34.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 17:42 (Ref:826631)   #10
GeorgeA
Rookie

GeorgeA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Those will be some spectacular wrecks that ol' Colin will get himself into, I predict. Since he won't be able to blame Nicky/Derek, the post-crash interviews will be most interesting. Like Nordic said, hope they have lots of spares.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:40 (Ref:826921)   #11
BillandLara
Racer

BillandLara should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
With tongue firmly in cheek, I do hope Colin does race at L M. At least we shall see how nuch track he needs on solid ground. It would be great for coverage in the Meejah if he did. I can't believe how badly the British Press pack treat the 24 Heures. While I was sitting in the sun at the Welcome Area on the Sunday lunch time the only news my wife could get was on Eurosport, absolutely nothing anywhere else all weekend apparently, Utterly stupid considering the amount of Brit money being spent to be there.
Go Colin, go!
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:42 (Ref:826923)   #12
BillandLara
Racer

BillandLara should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
"nuch??"... Dohh, "much!" oops.
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:51 (Ref:826941)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
He will want to be running on the grass verges, something he is well used to

And its a Ferrari, so not likely to last 24hrs anyway...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 3 Jan 2004, 23:59 (Ref:826953)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
Quote:
Originally posted by BillandLara
With tongue firmly in cheek, I do hope Colin does race at L M. At least we shall see how nuch track he needs on solid ground. It would be great for coverage in the Meejah if he did. I can't believe how badly the British Press pack treat the 24 Heures. While I was sitting in the sun at the Welcome Area on the Sunday lunch time the only news my wife could get was on Eurosport, absolutely nothing anywhere else all weekend apparently, Utterly stupid considering the amount of Brit money being spent to be there.
Go Colin, go!
If he does race I bet all you will get is wall to wall Le Mans in the press and on the TV. As you know he is doing the Daker at the momment, and guess what there are highlight on the BBC over the next 2 weekends.........
Old 4 Jan 2004, 07:52 (Ref:827179)   #15
Fab
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

European Union
Hicksville...
Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!Fab has a real shot at the championship!
Rally pilots usualy have succesfull stories at LM, at least for the performances.

Welcome Colin !
Old 4 Jan 2004, 12:55 (Ref:827333)   #16
The Badger
Veteran

The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!The Badger has a real shot at the podium!
I would love to have seen him take the Mulsanne hump in a 550 like he does in a rally car or a handbrake turn going into Tetre Rouge !!!
Old 7 Jan 2004, 12:40 (Ref:830399)   #17
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by The Badger
I would love to have seen him take the Mulsanne hump in a 550 like he does in a rally car or a handbrake turn going into Tetre Rouge !!!
He might have been able to "hold" the flying * better than Dunbreck!
Old 7 Jan 2004, 13:38 (Ref:830472)   #18
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I was just trying to think how well rally drivers have done at Le Mans in the past. Guy Frequelin did well in the WR, and I think he finished top 6 one year. Marc Duez has always been good, even if hasn't a proper shot in a prototype. Did Walter Rorhl ever race? I vaguely rememeber him racing a Lancia at some point as well as his Audi DTM drives and Porsche GT. And there's Mark Thatcher as well, even if his 1982 Dakar attempt was memorable for the wrong reasons....
Old 7 Jan 2004, 14:12 (Ref:830528)   #19
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by mcurtis26
I was just trying to think how well rally drivers have done at Le Mans in the past. Guy Frequelin did well in the WR, and I think he finished top 6 one year. Marc Duez has always been good, even if hasn't a proper shot in a prototype. Did Walter Rorhl ever race? I vaguely rememeber him racing a Lancia at some point as well as his Audi DTM drives and Porsche GT. And there's Mark Thatcher as well, even if his 1982 Dakar attempt was memorable for the wrong reasons....
Rohrl drove the Lancia Monte Carlos on a number of ocasions, paired with the likes of Riccardo Patrese, and had quite a bit of success- can't recall if he ever did Le Mans with Lancia, but he did finish 7th at LM in a Porsche 924GTP in 1981. Funny you should mention Mark Thatcher- (really a racer rather than a rally driver) there's an interview with him about the infamous Dakar attempt in one of this month's car magazines in the UK (can't recall which one though...)- his Dakar co-driver, Anny-Charlotte Verney was a Le Mans regular in the late 70's

Quite a few rally drivers have dabbled in sportscars to various degrees- Paddy Hopkirk took a Le Mans class win in an MGB in the 60's, Henri Toivonen had a few runs in a Group C Porsche (pretty sure he didn't do LM though), and I think Markku Alen, like Rohrl, had some sportscar appearances for Lancia

Last edited by KA; 7 Jan 2004 at 14:13.
Old 7 Jan 2004, 14:31 (Ref:830560)   #20
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Was it Henri Toivonen or his brother Harri? Although Harri did some rallying as well IIRC
Old 7 Jan 2004, 15:27 (Ref:830605)   #21
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The handbrake cornering is more likely to work through Indianapolis and Arnage. Mmmmmm....

Last edited by paul-collins; 7 Jan 2004 at 15:27.
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 7 Jan 2004, 16:58 (Ref:830700)   #22
KA
Veteran

KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!KA has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally posted by mcurtis26
Was it Henri Toivonen or his brother Harri? Although Harri did some rallying as well IIRC
Both- Henri drove Richard Lloyd's Canon Porsche a couple of times in 1983 with Jonathan Palmer and Derek Bell, while Harri was a regular in Franz Konrad's 962 around 1990/1- think his last sportscar appearances were in an Ascari a couple of years back, when they occasionally ran two cars. Harri is a former rally driver- he drove a Metro 6R4 in the British championship in the year Henri died in Corsica (86)
Old 7 Jan 2004, 17:05 (Ref:830712)   #23
KA
Veteran

Talking of the Toivonen brothers racing in sportscars has just reminded me- their father, Pauli was a works Porsche rally driver in the late 60's- One of his team-mates, of course, went on to have a very successful career in sportscars- Vic Elford. I can't believe we've been discussing rally drivers crossing over to sportscars without his name coming up....