Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 4 Mar 2004, 00:17 (Ref:893011)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Some Good News

Its being reported on the IndyCar web-site, that the Toyota 300 from Homestead, has become the highest rated, and most watched IRL race ever on ESPN.

It recieved an 0.9 rating and was seen in 809,000 households.

The numbers still have along way to go, but it is another improvement. ESPN did a much better job this year of marketing the IRL, putting on a marathon of past Indy races, and a new show about the IRL and its drivers called The Fast Life. They also interviewed quite a number of drivers on their sports discussion show, called Cold Pizza, in the weeks leading up to the race

No numbers on attendance, but by all observers, they say it was good, and better than last year.

All-in-all, some pretty good news.

Last edited by GP Racer; 4 Mar 2004 at 00:19.
Old 4 Mar 2004, 01:55 (Ref:893069)   #2
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IT'll be better on ABC i'd guess aswell, and a quickie, if it is shown on Free To Air in the US, does that mean we get it free to air in aus?
Old 4 Mar 2004, 08:18 (Ref:893213)   #3
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
one gripe I have with ESPN are the commercial breaks every 10 to 15 minutes and the fact they play the same commercials every single break. !!
Old 6 Mar 2004, 08:12 (Ref:895611)   #4
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
sorry hazza , there will be now IRL shown on free to air in Australia this year except maybe for the Indy 500 which channel 10 covered last year this may happen again in 04.

but the whole series will not be aired on free to air.

the only bet of getting it is thron Pay TV via the ESPN channel with some clons commentating over the ESPN coverage who are quite terrible.
Old 6 Mar 2004, 09:35 (Ref:895650)   #5
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gah! Oh well, better fork out some money, and seems like a good year too - in time to see Jr romp away to a Nextel championship
Old 16 Mar 2004, 15:37 (Ref:907104)   #6
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It occurs to me that I've no idea what kind of TV figures NASCAR gets. Anyone here know? The US has a big population, so I guess, what?, tens of millions of viewers?
Old 16 Mar 2004, 15:53 (Ref:907119)   #7
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had no idea their ratings were that low. Although, it is ESPN, which is not in every household. I found these numbers on the net after a search on NASCAR TV ratings.

2002 Daytona 500 - 10.9
2003 Daytona 500 - 9.8
2004 Daytona 500 - 10.6 (33.5 million viewers)
2003 Phoenix - 4.7
2003 Homestead - 4.5
2002 Homestead - 5.2 (7.3 million viewers)

One article shows a season average of 5.3 for NASCAR. So quite a large gap. I'm curious as to what the network televised events will get in terms of ratings.
Old 16 Mar 2004, 21:14 (Ref:907518)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its kind of tough to compare the two really.

NASCAR has all of its races on FOX and NBC, not to mention all the promo's and news and info programming on Speed, that helps the ratings immensely. Plus they race almost every weekend, giving them much higher visibility.

If we get one open wheel series, I expect the IRL's numbers to jump, at least initially, out of curiosity.

This weeks race at Phoenix on ABC should be a better barometer.

Danica Patrick
Old 16 Mar 2004, 23:16 (Ref:907689)   #9
MLM
Veteran

MLM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This weekend: Phoenix
Be there, aloha!