Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > IRL Indycar Series

Old 18 Mar 2004, 22:29 (Ref:909893)   #1
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Rahal's In!

The Speed web-site is reporting that Bobby Rahal has left Champ Car, and is expanding his IRL effort to two full-time cars and a third for Indy, and Motegi. Its still unclear whether Jordain will make the move, but its likely he will stay in Champ Car. It seems that a pep talk from Paul Newman and Gentilozzi couldn't sway Bobby to stay.

The field is getting fat, and 33 for Indy is looking pretty good to!

Danica Patrick
Old 18 Mar 2004, 22:52 (Ref:909920)   #2
rush1
Veteran

rush1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
http://sports.espn.go.com/rpm/news/story?id=1762556

More goods news for the IRL! And David Letterman is happy as well.
"I fully support our team's expansion in the IRL IndyCar Series," Letterman said. "Bobby and I believe the additional entry will increase our team's competitive level."

Roger Yasukawa I guess will be driving in Japan and Indy so we shall se who Rahal puts in that third car for Indy.

It will also be interesting to see if Gigante keeps Jourdains sponsorship or leaves OWRCS as well.
Old 18 Mar 2004, 23:49 (Ref:909982)   #3
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is slightly odd, isn't it? From reports, both Michel and Gigante will be remaining in Champ Car. So, I guess Bobby will have to find both a new driver and sponsor. Reports imply that it won't be Yasukawa in the seat full-time. What other driver relationships does Rahal have? I don't think Kenny will be back this year... As for sponsors, I'd hate to think he's receiving funding from an engine manufacturer or the league itself. Actually, that ESPN story notes that he doesn't have sponsorship for this extra car yet. Maybe he shouldn've waited 'til he did?

Further strangeness is that Rahal still has the Toyota Atlantic operation and is even running a car in the new (Champ Car-affiliated) Formula BMW series - for his own son, no less. Might be a little uncomfortable for him at some of those races.

Much like Fernandez, running another car in the IRL will be easier for Bobby, given that he's already running one car. He's been the most obvious "fence-sitter" over the past few seasons. Good luck to him!

Last edited by Testure; 18 Mar 2004 at 23:52.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 00:13 (Ref:910006)   #4
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
This is slightly odd, isn't it? From reports, both Michel and Gigante will be remaining in Champ Car. So, I guess Bobby will have to find both a new driver and sponsor. Reports imply that it won't be Yasukawa in the seat full-time. What other driver relationships does Rahal have? I don't think Kenny will be back this year... As for sponsors, I'd hate to think he's receiving funding from an engine manufacturer or the league itself. Actually, that ESPN story notes that he doesn't have sponsorship for this extra car yet. Maybe he shouldn've waited 'til he did?

Further strangeness is that Rahal still has the Toyota Atlantic operation and is even running a car in the new (Champ Car-affiliated) Formula BMW series - for his own son, no less. Might be a little uncomfortable for him at some of those races.

Much like Fernandez, running another car in the IRL will be easier for Bobby, given that he's already running one car. He's been the most obvious "fence-sitter" over the past few seasons. Good luck to him!
Nothing odd about this one at all Testure, you can't pour cold water on this deal!

The IndyCar web-site says that Rahal will announce a new sponsor shortly, and that a second driver, will also be named, but alot hinges on Kenny's recovery. There is a rumor, going around, that the second driver could be Carpentier, but that's just a rumor.

Bobby fully admits that he won't be the most popular guy in the paddock at Formula Atlantic, and Formula BMW.

This is yet another "no confidence" vote for OWRS. Bobby was another of the big names in that series, that just see's no future there, and IMHO, it centers around Gentilozzi.

I'm waiting for the CART fans wrath to fall on him, as he deserves it far more than either Adrian or Rahal...

Last edited by GP Racer; 19 Mar 2004 at 00:16.

Danica Patrick
Old 19 Mar 2004, 10:09 (Ref:910502)   #5
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
I foresee Rahal getting a few boo's, but I don't suspect it will be overwhelming. Bobby loves Champ Car and the fans love him too.
Old 19 Mar 2004, 10:33 (Ref:910527)   #6
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
IRL just keeps getting better and better - Soon we will have all of the big names and big teams.

This season is gonna be BIIIGGG!
Old 19 Mar 2004, 11:46 (Ref:910614)   #7
rustyfan
Veteran

Sweden
rustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridrustyfan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Hazza
This season is gonna be BIIIGGG!
Indeed

I hope it will remain a safe one as well - it was really encouraging to see a complete lack of injuries at Homestead.
Old 20 Mar 2004, 00:56 (Ref:911339)   #8
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Here's a transcript of the teleconference: http://www.crash.net/uk/en/news_view...id=3&nid=87637

It's quite interesting to read. He's pretty measured, I think, but he's never come across (to me) as an arrogant man in any way. An interesting few paragraphs about sponsorship and drivers. He also has an incredibly irritating habit of saying "y'know" constantly!