Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 7 Jun 2004, 05:29 (Ref:995803)   #26
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I could never understand why PT was allowed to go through so much equipment with Penske. I know those were the "good times", but how many accidents did he have in those couple of years? (I'm thinking pre-NH)

Green wanted to fire PT after the incident in Houston with the ridiculous accident and shoving, only Brown and Williams insisted he stay. Barry Green doesn't strike me as the sort who would make that kind of decision lightly. In all fairness while PT had the reputation of taking Dario out, he was only to blame in about half of the accidents with Dario.

As for Max, I can't remember exactly, but I seem to recall that it was his fault 2/3 times (could be wrong on that one). Brack didn't deserve to win the championship anyway.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 09:47 (Ref:995961)   #27
JohnSSC
Veteran

Slovenia
Pittsburgh
JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!JohnSSC has a real shot at the podium!
Whether Brack "deserved" it or not is less important than getting whacked by your team mate while you were in the Championship lead!

I am often amused reading the posts here about PT's natural ability and wonderful contributions. I am sure some of Penske's mechanics were able to retire early on what they made in OT repairing examples of PT's driving skills.

As for PT/Dario, I agree - not all PT's fault but when Barry Green gets mad enough to want to fire someone....

But for now PT has (at least here) become St. Paul the Wondrous for doing well in a somewhat watered-down field, both in driver quality and engineering quality. I am not sure if his skill level improved or the level needed to win the Series was reduced although I am leaning toward the level of the series coming down.

I long for the days when The Series Formerly Known as CART was not a Formula Lola spec series.

Last edited by JohnSSC; 7 Jun 2004 at 09:49.
"He's still a young guy and I always think, slightly morbidly, the last thing you learn is how to die and at the end of the day everybody learns every single day." - The Ever-Cheerfull Ron Dennis on Lewis Hamilton.
Old 7 Jun 2004, 15:43 (Ref:996313)   #28
Tim Northcutt
Veteran

United States
Indianapolis
Tim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridTim Northcutt should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Testure
I've read that the track seats 38,000 in total; it looked to me like there was maybe two-thirds of that there for the race. I think OWRS announced 46,000 as the three day attendance (up on last year), which sounds pretty decent for something non-NASCAR to me. Be interesting to see how the IRL race goes there in July.

The track does, indeed, seat 38,000....On Saturday, the Indy Star reported that there was hope of a big walk-up to bring the race crowd to 30,000...

I've read a guestimate of about 20,000 people....looked about right....

If the crowds for the 3 days was up, keep in mind that the weather for last year's race was not good....

One American Open Wheel Series!
Old 7 Jun 2004, 22:19 (Ref:996728)   #29
Amar7605
Veteran

United States
Elk Grove, CA
Amar7605 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its great to see Rusport finish well, especially Michel. I wish them continued success!
Old 8 Jun 2004, 02:44 (Ref:996835)   #30
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I really think PT's skill was simply focused, which it rarely was in the past. I'm not sure that he's going to be able to do it this year but it's not because he doesn't have the same raw skill he's always had. IMO Cicale picked an odd time for a sabatical...

Quote:
Originally posted by JohnSSC
I long for the days when The Series Formerly Known as CART was not a Formula Lola spec series.
It's a fine and good to say "the series was better with different equipment, but you have to remember the pitfalls. You are effectively saying that you liked it when Moore was robbed of being competitive by his lousy Mercedes engine in '99, or JPM of the championship because of his timebomb of a Toyota in 2000, instead finishing 9th! Or poor Haberfeld this year being relegated to the back by his Reynard.