Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 3 May 2011, 14:51 (Ref:2873551)   #26
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Dave, it was always a pleasure to work with you over the decades. I will always remember sharing posts with you at Goodwood. A great observer, and a great man.
Jon, my condolences to you and your family.
Old 3 May 2011, 14:55 (Ref:2873554)   #27
Chigley
Veteran

England
Newbury, Berkshire
Chigley should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jon, it was always a pleasure to chat and work with Dave. Please accept my condolences to you and your family.

RIP
Old 3 May 2011, 16:11 (Ref:2873575)   #28
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
RIP Dave! Condolences to you Jon.

I will never forget being on Post 15 at Thruxton with Dave in 1992. A Formula Renault driver abandoned his car on the racing line after ignoring our signals to pull off up the runway. After dealing with multiple spinners taking avoiding action Dave proceeded to berate the driver, towering over him whilst he was sat on the grass. Dave left the driver in no doubt as to the error of his way. It is an image that will stay with me forever.
Old 3 May 2011, 17:18 (Ref:2873605)   #29
racerkeke
Veteran

Canada
The Great Green North
racerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridracerkeke should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Very sorry to hear of David's passing. He was my captain at Goodwood Revival last year (I had not met him until then), and he was very welcoming. I enjoyed working with him -- and thoroughly enjoyed the cake! I'm disappointed I will not be able to see him again this summer.

My thoughts are with you and your whole family (including your marshalling family), Jon.
keke
Old 3 May 2011, 23:42 (Ref:2873794)   #30
turbo-ww
Racer

England
turbo-ww should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Jon,

Dave was one of the true Gentlemen. I had the pleasure of working with him on a number of occasions.

We shared the box as Post Chiefs for the past 2 GP's - Correction, I shared his box...

So there was plenty of time for banter, and cake!

RIP Dave.

Martyn.
Old 4 May 2011, 05:57 (Ref:2873840)   #31
Teletubby
Veteran

England
Hampshire
Teletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTeletubby should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jon, really sorry to hear this, my condolences to you and your family.

Dave was one of the really good guys who everybody knew they could rely on.

RIP Dave.

Martin
Old 4 May 2011, 07:03 (Ref:2873859)   #32
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Very sorry to hear of Dave's passing. Had the pleasure of his company at the Revival last year - fascinating man to talk to and good company. He will be sorely missed out on the bank. Condolences to all his family and friends
Old 4 May 2011, 07:47 (Ref:2873871)   #33
Dan Friel
Veteran

England
Great Cheverell, UK
Dan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDan Friel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will miss Dave very much. He has been a part of my marshalling since the start. His motorsport trivia knowledge was unbeatable, perhaps only surpassed by Jon! Will miss the chats about welsh rugby. I can remember trying to convince him that Shane Williams wasn't really the business. Suffer fools he didn't.. *I expect London welsh will miss him like the marshalling community will do.

As shown by the posts above, he's a character that won't ever be forgotten. But we'll miss you.
Old 4 May 2011, 11:43 (Ref:2873952)   #34
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cant really add anything that hasn't already been said, Dave was a one-off and will be missed. We need characters like him to brighten our lives.
RIP Dave, and condolences to all family and friends
Clive
Old 9 May 2011, 09:51 (Ref:2877300)   #35
John Newman
Subscriber
Racer

England
Near, (but not quite) Towcester
John Newman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thw Worlds of Motorsport and Rugby will not be the same. So sad. My condolences to Jon & the family.
Old 10 May 2011, 14:03 (Ref:2878116)   #36
SouthportFC Fan
Racer

Wales
Southport
SouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSouthportFC Fan should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I can't add anything to what has been said before, but I can share a memory of Dave that I'll never forget.

I was watching a Wales v New Zealand game a few years ago on the TV and the All Blacks had just scored again !!

Cue the BBC's cut to the crowd and they happened to pick up on a pair of very lithesome young ladies celebrating the score dressed in All Black paraphanalia.

Sat right behind them was Dave with a huge smile on his face. I can't think why he was smiling as we were getting stuffed again !! I did ask him about the game the next time I saw him, and the joyous expression he had on his face.

'The All Blacks are such a joy to watch when they play like that' was his reply.

Knowing his love of the game, I didn't ask for clarification about what he was watching !!

It's a privilege to have met him, to have worked with him and the world is now a slightly worse place to be in.
Old 11 May 2011, 17:51 (Ref:2878855)   #37
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
very sorry to hear about Dave's death. He was a lovely bloke. Condolences to you and your family Jon.
Old 11 May 2011, 18:38 (Ref:2878885)   #38
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Adrian Cashmore would like to say:

My I add my condolences. Dave was one of racings characters and he will be missed. My memory goes back to the Grand Prix in 2009 when I was I/O at Abbey. During a trying weekend his support was greatly appreciated.

Marshalling will be less enjoyable without him.’
Old 11 May 2011, 20:50 (Ref:2878959)   #39
M Greenslade
Veteran

England
Chipping Norton, Oxon
M Greenslade should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Today was Big Dave's funeral admirably handled with son's Jon and Gareth at the helm, his Welsh connections, love of rugby and motorsport were very much expressed and a number of marshals who have know Dave for very many years were in attendance. A fitting tribute was after the committal and as the curtain closed Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' was played as we left and if that does not bring a tear to your eye, I don't know what does.

RIP Big Feller

Martin
Old 12 May 2011, 21:19 (Ref:2879616)   #40
Marshal
Veteran

Marshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridMarshal should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thank you all for your kind thoughts, its been a comfort for me and my family over the last few weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing many of you on the bank in the weeks and months to come.

Jon
Old 13 May 2011, 10:04 (Ref:2879774)   #41
The Fat Clerk
Veteran

Northern Ireland
Bishopscourt
The Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridThe Fat Clerk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Greenslade View Post
A fitting tribute was after the committal and as the curtain closed Fleetwood Mac's 'The Chain' was played as we left and if that does not bring a tear to your eye, I don't know what does.

RIP Big Feller

Martin
Certainly does