Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Jan 2006, 12:44 (Ref:1503042)   #26
speedbump
Racer

Canada
Toronto
speedbump should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Looks ok to me. Not wow.
The front view reminded me of the older Williams BMW.

So the chassis is all new design ?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 12:51 (Ref:1503043)   #27
Splatz the Cow
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
Splatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSplatz the Cow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think the livery is excellent from a design standpoint, however, I can understand how it doesn't inspire the lowest common denominator, but surely that isn't BMW's target audience.

Also can anyone shed some light on why its called BMW-Sauber?

I don't think anyone has discussed that yet?

Has that been discussed yet?

Hmm maybe I'll draft a raft made of rafters and a rudder aft, then after I'll ask ASCII why BMW F1 team is called BMW-Sauber.

Oh, no the fanatacism is unbearable...

Well, I honestly didn't know the answer to The Monster's question so I was glad he asked it.

The Monster obviously wasn't aware that ASCII has special rights to make a personal attack.

Watch out everone.

Be a gentleman (or something) and post an apology ASCII Man.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1503048)   #28
The STIG
Veteran

United Kingdom
Too far from home
The STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
hmmmm... It's a bit boring colour sheme. other than that, it's nothing remarkable in design... all in all - ZZZzzzzZZzZZZzzzZZzZzZz

Hopefully it's more exciting on the track - but please bring back those lovely blue colours! they were great.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 12:56 (Ref:1503051)   #29
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
What a daft question!

Because most guys at the team are leftovers from Sauber, and Peter Sauber himself has a consultary role in the new BMW team, so in honour of Peter Sauber they continued the use of the Sauber name.

Sauber, Sauber, Sauber...
It's hardly a daft question. When BMW bought the team it was said the Sauber name would be dropped from the team entirely, so it's no surprise people are curious why they decided on BMW-Sauber.

Also, having members from the past squad is irrelevant, otherwise we'd have Stewart-Jaguar-RBR and Red Bull-Minardi on the grid.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 13:04 (Ref:1503061)   #30
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by EERO
the dip in the top of the airbox fairing just behind the camera mount is strange; why not just smooth out the line? Is this in an area affected by the rules on overall dimensions?
I think it is. They want it to draop away quickly, but they have to back out of that as they reach an area they need to have an airbox. I think the idea of those particular rules are to allow more sponsorship space
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow
I think the livery is excellent from a design standpoint, however, I can understand how it doesn't inspire the lowest common denominator, but surely that isn't BMW's target audience.
I think the lowest might fit The liver is alright, it was never going to be JPS. I actually wish it was even closer to the touring cars.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 13:16 (Ref:1503069)   #31
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silk Cut Jaguar
It's hardly a daft question. When BMW bought the team it was said the Sauber name would be dropped from the team entirely, so it's no surprise people are curious why they decided on BMW-Sauber.

Also, having members from the past squad is irrelevant, otherwise we'd have Stewart-Jaguar-RBR and Red Bull-Minardi on the grid.
Nevermind then...
Old 17 Jan 2006, 14:22 (Ref:1503109)   #32
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splatz the Cow
The Monster obviously wasn't aware that ASCII has special rights to make a personal attack.

Watch out everone.

Be a gentleman (or something) and post an apology ASCII Man.

What personal attack?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 14:32 (Ref:1503111)   #33
dazbaz_99
Veteran

United Kingdom
Aylesbury
dazbaz_99 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
What a daft question!
i think were referring to that comment?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 14:39 (Ref:1503114)   #34
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dani Filth
i like the livery . it's simplicity
I agree - simple, shiney and nice.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 15:01 (Ref:1503127)   #35
ASCII Man
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazbaz_99
i think were referring to that comment?
That wasn't meant to be offensive, but my apologies nonetheless if it has been received as such.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 15:02 (Ref:1503129)   #36
Osella
Veteran

Osella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
don't Intel sponsor Toyota too?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 15:13 (Ref:1503133)   #37
TheNewBob
Veteran

England
Lincs, UK
TheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridTheNewBob should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think the use of those colours was only to be expected from BMW, and from the front I do like the look of it - but from the side the colour scheme is just a mess - I'm all for "simple but effective" - however to me that car from the side view looks like a white car with a blue blob plonked in the middle.

I'm quite fond of what they're trying to do with it but in my view they should have designed it to follow the lines of the car - which it does indeed do to good effect on the nose cone.

As far as the actual shape and body of the car, to me it's the prettiest of all the new 2006 designs revealed so far...
Old 17 Jan 2006, 15:26 (Ref:1503138)   #38
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's almost like this one!

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 17 Jan 2006, 15:38 (Ref:1503152)   #39
EERO
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United States
Massachusetts
EERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridEERO should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewBob
... I'm all for "simple but effective" - however to me that car from the side view looks like a white car with a blue blob plonked in the middle.

I'm quite fond of what they're trying to do with it but in my view they should have designed it to follow the lines of the car - which it does indeed do to good effect on the nose cone.
Well put. I was thinking along similar lines but wasn't able to articulate it. The mid-section really is odd-but understanding the graphic its comprehensible. It just coulkd have follwed the line of the car better.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 15:50 (Ref:1503158)   #40
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Osella
don't Intel sponsor Toyota too?
Yes, I believe they just announced that a few days ago .... they make a lot of chips!

I'm a little disappointed as I would have preferred they keep at least a semblance of the Sauber colour scheme but at least this car should be distinguishable on the track. I'm not sure if Honda-BAR are keeping their predominantly white livery?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 15:54 (Ref:1503161)   #41
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk
Yes, I believe they just announced that a few days ago .... they make a lot of chips!

I'm a little disappointed as I would have preferred they keep at least a semblance of the Sauber colour scheme but at least this car should be distinguishable on the track. I'm not sure if Honda-BAR are keeping their predominantly white livery?
Sorry Kirk, but I for one am glad to see the back of the god-awful Sauber colour scheme, I personally thought it has always looked dire, a total mess of pre-school proportions, however thats only my opinion...
Old 17 Jan 2006, 16:04 (Ref:1503170)   #42
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Louis B. should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
First impression: That's a 2005 Sauber with a Williams-like livery

Second impression: Very conservative, nothing revolutionary as far as I can see, the livery reminds me of the late-Tyrrels.

I'm now going to read about it. I would like to hear the experts on the technical changes / evolutions which may appear in comparison with the Sauber 2005. My fear remains indeed that there is not much evolution on the chassis side of things.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 16:14 (Ref:1503175)   #43
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Dear Louis B.

Have a look to this site if you want some comfort on the car's improvements on the chassis side: http://www.formula1.com/news/3918.html Obviously, this is PR stuff but, I am confident, the experts of this learned forum will explain give you more input as to whether this beauty is in fact a serious contender.

Keep on posting Louis, I love your posts.

Old 17 Jan 2006, 16:16 (Ref:1503180)   #44
andy_b
Veteran

Canada
Vancouver (I escaped from UK)
andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!andy_b is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Louis B.
First impression: That's a 2005 Sauber with a Williams-like livery
Thats because BMW designed the BMW.Williams F1 livery and also had extensive branding rights. At the same time, the Blue and Red tie's in with their WTCC car, although that livery is more stunning. This is quite conservative. I'm surprised a little more blue wasn't used
Old 17 Jan 2006, 16:34 (Ref:1503194)   #45
safc_fan89
Veteran

safc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridsafc_fan89 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The livery is a bit bland. Surely they could have come up with something slightly more eye-catching?
Old 17 Jan 2006, 16:47 (Ref:1503202)   #46
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I'm just sad that the car wont have the traditional FINA multi-coloured flag on the chassis somewhere...
Old 17 Jan 2006, 16:55 (Ref:1503207)   #47
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Credit Suisse has much less exposure too...

Does anyone have details and pictures of today's shakedown of the beast at Valencia. Who drove it (Heidfelf for sure but what about the most popular / unpopular driver of this forum)?

BTW, another pearl today from Jack-Jack:

Your overalls are always too large. Is there any practical reason behind it or does it have any other deeper sense?
"No, my overalls are not too large. All the other drivers have them too tight..."
END QUOTE
Old 17 Jan 2006, 17:21 (Ref:1503224)   #48
Louis B.
Veteran

Canada
home
Here are the piccies of BMW's new contender on track: http://www.f1racing.net/en/gallery.php?catID=1852

Not surprisingly, NH was granted the honour of trying it first today while JV ran the 2005 with a V8 engine. NH made 29 laps while JV did 50. NH fastest lap was 0.6 seconds faster than JV. See:

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=34865
Old 17 Jan 2006, 17:27 (Ref:1503227)   #49
speedfreek
Rookie

United Kingdom
Reading
speedfreek should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i think the idea is right but the execution isnt. i think the best thing to have done is just add the red pin stripes to the old willaims livery plus new sponsers.
Old 17 Jan 2006, 19:09 (Ref:1503301)   #50
Alwaysfirst
Veteran

United Kingdom
The rural idyl.
Alwaysfirst should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I don't like that front end. I think the nose just looks squashed into the front wing-not at all attractive or elegant.

RIP Marco Simoncelli, 1987-2011. 2008 250cc champion