Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Jan 2005, 21:20 (Ref:1201213)   #1
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B.A.R 007 Launch

Ok, I know I'm a couple of days early, but being an autosport subscriber (and hence a now an Atlas F1 subscriber), I saw a picture today that shows a sneak peak of the front wing of the new BAR.....
It looks very very similar to something that Pacific (remember them ) ran in 1995, which earned it the nickname "playtpus".
It looks like the centre section of the wing almost shadows the nose shape, extending forward fairly far. Looks also like the spoon shape is quite dramatic, maybe this will be the first proper '05 spec wing we'll see? (the new sauber looks like the '04 with an extra wing section, as already mentioned in that thread, as run by Prost on the AP04 at monaco).

Oh well, only got too wait till sunday before we get a chance to see the whole thing... given B.A.R's leaps and bounds made last year, along with their willinginess for technical innovation, I can't wait.

Regards
Ed

Last edited by Try Hard; 14 Jan 2005 at 21:22.
Old 14 Jan 2005, 21:25 (Ref:1201217)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm not convinced that isn't a clever PR stunt to throw us off track...
Old 14 Jan 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1201218)   #3
Try Hard
Veteran

China
Taicang
Try Hard should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i take it you've seen it too then K-b?
Old 14 Jan 2005, 21:30 (Ref:1201220)   #4
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes.

Very difficult to make a mental picture of a car from that, but if it is as different as the tease shot suggests, then well done to them!
Old 15 Jan 2005, 15:15 (Ref:1201580)   #5
poleaxe
Rookie

poleaxe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I hope it works well for them, it would be great if BAR were the top dogs next season.

http://www.barf1.com/scripts/php/dow...=1533_1024x768
Old 15 Jan 2005, 16:36 (Ref:1201608)   #6
Silk Cut Jaguar
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bath, UK
Silk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridSilk Cut Jaguar should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm enjoying this pre-season, of the two cars launched so far (Toyota and Sauber) neither has gone for a similar design with BAR looking like they've done something different aswell. Makes for a refreshing change of 10 extremely similar cars.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 17:48 (Ref:1201628)   #7
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
that nose looks .... interesting . i sure can't wait to see it

Ciao Marco
Old 15 Jan 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1201635)   #8
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, we all thought that Williams "walrus" nose was interesting last year, but it sure didn't work worth a damn!

Danica Patrick
Old 15 Jan 2005, 18:07 (Ref:1201637)   #9
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's hard to make out the way that is. is the front part extended forwards, or downwards? If it's downwards, how is that possible when the minimum height of the front wings is higher now, and you'd presume that they'd want to run as much of the wing as possible at the tolerance measurement so as to make the wing as effective as possible?

Last edited by Alex Hodgkinson; 15 Jan 2005 at 18:08.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 18:27 (Ref:1201647)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
From that picture it definitely extends forwards, Alex...

However, it looks downright suspicious to me.

Silk Cut.....hear, hear. This is a great year for designs. Not one is what you could call a conservative approach.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 18:28 (Ref:1201649)   #11
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
So far, that is.
Old 15 Jan 2005, 19:33 (Ref:1201681)   #12
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

I don't think either Ferrari or Minardi will shock us with their interim cars.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 11:11 (Ref:1202111)   #13
poleaxe
Rookie

poleaxe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Photos of the launch

http://www.adrivo.com/f1/bildergaler...D=46&ID_event=
Old 16 Jan 2005, 12:22 (Ref:1202138)   #14
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid

It has the looks, but the speed? Hopefully.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:01 (Ref:1202164)   #15
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Really bizarre front wing.....another radical car overall.

I'm loving this launch season...some really varied designs!
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:07 (Ref:1202169)   #16
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Hmmm..besides the front wing..i don't find the new car as different as the Sauber is. Looks nice, but not really radical in the sense that there is something strikingly different. But still, pretty handsome looking machine.

But i won't bet against this car making another step forward in bringing BAR as a serious contender. With Honda's increased support and a strong technical/drivers package..BAR is something to look out for.

And if it is any interest...even Paul Stoddart promise a radically different 2005 car from Minardi... Hmmm....can't wait to see everyone show their stuff.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:16 (Ref:1202176)   #17
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

What does everyone make of these horrible rear wing endplates then?
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:31 (Ref:1202188)   #18
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by knowlesy
What does everyone make of these horrible rear wing endplates then?
Horrible.
In fact both the new higher front wing and larger rear wings look awful as I knew they would when they announced them (imho).

Last edited by Sodemo; 16 Jan 2005 at 13:35.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:33 (Ref:1202190)   #19
Kicking-back
Veteran

Very tightly packaged rear end on this car.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:57 (Ref:1202215)   #20
nkh
Racer

Denmark
Copenhagen
nkh should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
what's the little hole in the nose for? (in the orange bit)

http://www.gifted.dk/POLEPICS/050116/14.jpg
http://www.gifted.dk/POLEPICS/050116/16.jpg
Old 16 Jan 2005, 13:59 (Ref:1202217)   #21
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Keeps the driver cool (really) - most cars have something similar. Plus I guess there may be some things inside the nose that benefit from being kept cool - electronics, dampers etc.

After the drama of the super-swoopy Sauber and the very, very tightly packaged Toyota (if you see and pics at such an angle to look beyond the really big flips you'll notice exceptionally small sidepods that start super low and swing very tightly inwards) this car is a bit underwhelming in a funny kind of way. But just because it doesn't pack any trendy tricks (apart from the front wing) doesn't mean it isn't a super-efficient car. Nice clean look overall, which is something Willis started with last year's car.

Last edited by Glen; 16 Jan 2005 at 14:02.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 14:17 (Ref:1202229)   #22
Dani Filth
Veteran

Romania
Bucharest
Dani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridDani Filth should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
another car from this year that i like ..
what happend to the designers .. all have new ideeas

Ciao Marco
Old 16 Jan 2005, 14:37 (Ref:1202235)   #23
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
The car does looks the best so far of the 2005 versions.
Why is it there are never any decent pics of the rear end of the cars?

Last edited by Sodemo; 16 Jan 2005 at 14:37.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 14:45 (Ref:1202239)   #24
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The centre of the front wing dips very close to the ground, doesn't it? I wonder how the rules about the changes to the height of that wing were written.
Old 16 Jan 2005, 14:49 (Ref:1202242)   #25
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!

Seems to be much smaller than last years car,either that or they've put bigger wheels and tyres on it. Another great looking car though,is this the beginning of a new era ?