Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

View Poll Results: How did you learn your flag rules?
Marshals training sessions only 2 2.63%
Marshals training sessions and on post instruction 26 34.21%
Marshals training sessions, on post instruction and reading the rule book myself 28 36.84%
Osmosis (just picked 'em up) 15 19.74%
Self-taught from rule book 1 1.32%
other 4 5.26%
Voters: 76. You may not vote on this poll

Old 21 Aug 2007, 09:57 (Ref:1993428)   #26
sputnik421
Racer

United Kingdom
Chichester W. Sussex
sputnik421 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have only flagged for NGRRC meeting so far, my first time was on post 14 at Thruxton. I was a trainee at the time but there was only one other marshal on post with me. There had been a flag marshal there to before the meeting started but as the three of us had to cover both 12 and 14, the flagey went to post 12 on his own. The IO with me took up the obs job for both posts so I had to flag. I was daunted with the prospect of flagging at what was my 4th or so meeting. It was also my first bike meeting, I was not sure what flags to show and how at the start of the day. By the close of play I was much more confident of what I was doing. I did not receive formal flag training until the winter, when they were covered on all 3 of the three training days I attended.

I have since only flagged at the NGRRC meeting at Brands this year. I was at post 5 there, so had much more action to put yellow flags out for. I was supervised by a long standing sector marshal, and by a good bike marshal who should have done the flags. He was a bike marshal though so he wanted to do pickup rather than flags. I would have rather had an experienced flag marshal with me to teach me what I should be doing before I got to flag for that first bike meet though.

I have only done 1 years marshaling so far I repeated my first ever race meeting this weekend and will repeat my second next weekend. I got my 10th sig at the start of the season so I am now a green badge, but I still have much to learn from the older guys. The new grading system getting rid of the grade of flagey, is a bit daft as the new lads and lasses wont know who to get the skills off of. As if I was daft enough to post my cards back at the end of the year with all the incident sigs I will have collected by then I could be an experanced marshal. I will not be doing this as I will wait until they run out of space or time in 2008 as I have 2 green cards to fill. When I may well be worthy of the incident grade but still will not think of myself as a flag marshal. Although I will probably be bald enough by then.

Last edited by sputnik421; 21 Aug 2007 at 10:01.
Old 21 Aug 2007, 19:16 (Ref:1993943)   #27
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert
Earlier this year what I think is an awesome interpretation of the BB meanings for the use of the Blue Flag. As we all know you use the flags to say something to the driver. If you have this in your mind when using the Blue Flag you will not go far wrong!

Stationary Blue - 'Look in your mirrors'

Waved Blue - 'For sake look in your mirrors'

I cannot take credit for this interpretation but I think it translates the BB into language we all understand?!
I learned this same interpretation from my mentors many, many years ago (I've been flagging for 17 years approx).

This is why blue flagging is the "black art" especially in practice, you are interpreting what you know, eg that car is much faster than that one - but he is on a slow down lap or the driver has changed and he ain't as good! Much easier in race so long as there are no driver changes or (as at Mallory last weekend) you can actually see the cars (in that case through the rain on the glasses)!

That is why I love flagging and especially blue so much - a good day well done at the end even though I know that I will have thrown my blue flag away in disgust at least once in the day. The good'uns don't half make up for the bad.

Sign up now for that flag training. The way the numbers are going - it could be you!!!!!!
Old 21 Aug 2007, 20:08 (Ref:1994000)   #28
gachjoel
Veteran

Wales
Cardiff
gachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgachjoel should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Posted by EP

Think my favourite has to be

Waved Yellow and Waved Blue together - "you're being overtaken by an accident"

Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
Now that would be interesting to see

yes it would be intrestin to see.
like post 5
NGRRC
at pembrey.

recall it now....

NORBET

Strangely enough thats what i was taught
Old 22 Aug 2007, 07:51 (Ref:1994300)   #29
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by gachjoel

NORBET

Strangely enough thats what i was taught
Strange indeed Gary!
Old 22 Aug 2007, 22:07 (Ref:1994776)   #30
sf2001
Rookie

United Kingdom
Northern Ireland
sf2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
i was interested in formula one, and learned the rules when i bought a game which displayed the flags to you... i learned how to deploy them properly from a marshalling booklet
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:26 (Ref:1999102)   #31
AndyCox
Rookie

England
Leicester
AndyCox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss_collins
Sorry Mark - its changed. Slippery surface now.
Full Definition in J16.1 is:

(g) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Stationary: Slippery
surface ahead.
(h) Yellow flag with Red Stripes – Waved: Slippery
surface imminent.
Old 29 Aug 2007, 11:35 (Ref:1999105)   #32
AndyCox
Rookie

England
Leicester
AndyCox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by devon kev
Now that would be interesting to see
Interesting's not the word, I can't make out how Waved Yellow and Waved Blue together = "you're being overtaken by an accident".

Waved yellow for incident after post, Blue for cars approaching post so unless the faster car manages to overtake before the post, this should mean "The car behind is possibly about to be done for overtaking under yellows if he doesn't stomp on his brakes hard enough"
Old 29 Aug 2007, 19:20 (Ref:1999439)   #33
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Like many learned on the job and from watching other more experience flaggies - guess I was lucky as we usually had more than one per post in the 'good old days', formal training is a must to understand the correct meaning of the rules for flags, but in reality nothing beats actually doing it, and it is good fun. Karting is also an excellent opportunity to hone your skills as you do everything and the racing is so close (physically to the post). Some of those I learnt from are still out there, although I've moved up to stand in the shelter and make notes and pretty sketches! I still flag occasionally to keep my hand in as I am also a trainer.
Old 30 Aug 2007, 12:02 (Ref:1999993)   #34
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Back when I started they did have flags! ,,, and they were all specific meanings. Then people started getting inventive and the arguments about what they all mean continues.

I learnt on post back in the 19´0s, then was taught Indy Car flagging by Anne Davis at Toronto and oval flagging at MIS by Nancy Schilkie, both world class flaggers

The best way - a mix of training days and on post experience. But read the series rules, they all differ these days.
Old 1 Sep 2007, 21:39 (Ref:2001518)   #35
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCox
I can't make out how Waved Yellow and Waved Blue together = "you're being overtaken by an accident".
There was a great picture of a Caterham incident - Combe I think - that inspired this. One car had launched over another and was just coming in for a landing. In the background the guy putting out the yellow had reacted quicker than the one already displaying blue (well he would, since the first the blueie would have known of the incident behind him was the yellow going out). I've seen the same incident on tv, and the blue did disappear pretty rapidly.

I now return you to the topic.
Old 2 Sep 2007, 16:17 (Ref:2001910)   #36
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
This makes an interesting question of when to blue when you know the next post along is displaying a stationary yellow. Do you only show it to the guy you know will have got past before that yellow? And how do you know he will make it? If he gets done for overtaking under that yellow, he could claim that there was a blue beforehand, so the guy in front backed off.... I always let my blue flag (if I have one) know that there is a yellow at the next flag point, if I'm on my own then I will probably not give a blue but that depends on the distance, situation, etc....
Old 2 Sep 2007, 16:23 (Ref:2001916)   #37
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Just decided to add something else to the mix.

DON'T YOU JUST LOVE FLAGGING?

The very fact that we're asking all these questions, getting all these opinions - don't it just prove that flagging is THE very best and hardest and most rewarding job on the track?

We'll never get it right but, oh boy, ain't it fun trying.....
Old 2 Sep 2007, 16:34 (Ref:2001923)   #38
CombeMarshal
Veteran

England
Stroud, Glos
CombeMarshal should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OH, you trying to start a fight!!!!

I do enjoy flagging, spent a weekend at Thruxton doing it for the F3/gt's but will never give up my first love, Incident! but will always do it if needs be, same as any other discipline on the bank!
Old 3 Sep 2007, 11:17 (Ref:2002472)   #39
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You mean there are rules DOH!
Old 3 Sep 2007, 11:44 (Ref:2002500)   #40
pauwilson
Racer

Scotland
East Kilbride
pauwilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oi, geordie boy less of your cheek . Thats rich coming from someone that stands with a clipboard all day trying to look pretty!!!
Old 3 Sep 2007, 12:33 (Ref:2002560)   #41
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelagh
DON'T YOU JUST LOVE FLAGGING?
Er, no.....I HATE flagging!

That's why I'm pleased that there are people like you around - dedicated, professional flaggies who love the job. Me, I just don't have the 'flag mentality'.

Quote:
don't it just prove that flagging is THE very best and hardest and most rewarding job on the track?
For me, all that (except 'hardest'!) applies to IO.

Quote:
We'll never get it right but, oh boy, ain't it fun trying.....
......and the day I think I'm getting it right is the day I'll give up.

Note to sensitive souls: the above is an expression of my personal opinions & preferences; it is in no way intended to be a slur on your opinions & preferences, which may be different.
Old 4 Sep 2007, 11:32 (Ref:2003474)   #42
Westysprinter
Racer

England
Washington
Westysprinter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Jockster, You do the flag waving I'll give the orders if you dont mind