Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 22 Sep 2007, 23:32 (Ref:2020708)   #26
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
I agree Jenson would be great in that car..Boots suggested that in his post, lots of experience smooth as silk driver.. I would like to see Jenson Button realise his full potential..
Old 22 Sep 2007, 23:43 (Ref:2020710)   #27
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
There are still many in the paddock that liken JB to Alain Prost.Possibly not the quickest driver out there in terms of raw speed,but he can race from the front and rarely makes mistakes.Certainly a better driver than some of McLarens more recent incumbents. *runs for cover*
Old 22 Sep 2007, 23:47 (Ref:2020713)   #28
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
LOL and who would that be then? the "more recent incumbents"
Old 22 Sep 2007, 23:57 (Ref:2020716)   #29
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremySmith
LOL and who would that be then? the "more recent incumbents"
he means F1's youngest double world champion, Fernando Alonso, and rookie extraordinaire, Lewis Hamilton...of course

I personally don't think Jenson would go to McLaren with Lewis there. He's become too aware of the dynamics of F1 (by being in 3 different teams already) that I reckon he'd be rather weary of his potential position in the McLaren heirarchy - knowing full well the importance of being happy within a team. Of course I'd love to see Jenson with a top car...but I think I'd rather he felt content about where he is, wherever that may be.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 00:28 (Ref:2020723)   #30
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
alonso may go back to renault, but he left due to tensions with flavio. bmw might swap heidfeld for alonso. toyota would grab him to replace ralph. if he goes to renault or toyota then ron would have to look for another driver. redbull and honda both have enough money for alonso, but that would mean a driver swap. i don't really see weber, dc, button or ruebens wanting to play second fiddle to hamilton. i also don't see ferrari trading one of their drivers.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 01:50 (Ref:2020741)   #31
Oldtony
Veteran

Australia
Gold Coast Australia
Oldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridOldtony should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If Nando was to go back to Renault then maybe the swap would be for Nelshino.
Then the dynamics between the two dads could keep the tabloids happy without to much interference with the racing.
Seriously though, while most drivers would want the seat in the car, howmany would be keen on working for Ron?
Old 23 Sep 2007, 01:55 (Ref:2020743)   #32
pottiella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtony
Seriously though, while most drivers would want the seat in the car, howmany would be keen on working for Ron?
you hit the nail on the head there, as far as I'm concerned.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 02:00 (Ref:2020745)   #33
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
I would like to hear from DC as far as working for Ron Dennis is concerned.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 02:16 (Ref:2020749)   #34
pottiella
Veteran

your wish is my command Jeremy

I read this a little while ago, as you may have done too...but it has a paragraph on Ron at least...

http://sport.guardian.co.uk/motorspo...166381,00.html
Old 23 Sep 2007, 02:22 (Ref:2020750)   #35
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Well thank you very much, I think DC would be a good barometer as to what it is like to work for Ron...
Old 23 Sep 2007, 02:31 (Ref:2020752)   #36
pottiella
Veteran

firstly, yes, I agree...but unfortunately that article only has a snippet on Ron. I've not got his book, but I imagine there would be more indicative stuff in it.

secondly, I find Kimi more interesting to be honest. He was never anyone's percieved no2, and in fact he was very much Ron's "favourite" throughout...if there was ever any one-sided inclination at all. Yet, for a guy who doesn't speak much and avoids talking about other people as much as he can...and even quite apparently tries to avoid conflict or complication...the fact he has on occasion subtley inferred similar sentiments about Ron's "people management skills", for me personally is quite telling.

Don't get me wrong, I've always had a lot of respect for Ron; but I do understand nothing is ever black and white with someone's personality and social social skills - least of all someone who is visibly complex like Ron. No matter how great or small, humans will always harbour flaws. So it's interesting the consistency of expressions about Ron's supposed flaws...

Last edited by pottiella; 23 Sep 2007 at 02:34.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 02:48 (Ref:2020758)   #37
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
Good post....I have nothing to add at this point, apart from agreeing with you. Kimi is a dark horse, and in many ways I like that quality, you have to listen very closely to him, I like that about him..Now "where is Alonso" going again?
Old 23 Sep 2007, 11:09 (Ref:2020888)   #38
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Nascar?
Old 23 Sep 2007, 11:49 (Ref:2020907)   #39
pottiella
Veteran

joking aside, I don't know why anyone presumes he would go to another series, least of all American Series...because he's got a similar mentality to Schumi in this respect. The whole technology/development factor is a huge influence to both their love of Formula One, by their own admission. Schumi even once said (regardless of whether you find it arrogant or not) that american series are a step backwards from F1, and so he would never consider it. I have a feeling Alonso is much the same in that respect. It will be all or nothing with F1 - and there's not much to be unhappy with (except maybe a flawless career and a few more titles maybe) leaving F1 so young with 2 consecutive titles already. He's always said he'd retire by 30 anyway...

just another 20 odd years before we see him in the Masters Series then?
Old 23 Sep 2007, 12:57 (Ref:2020935)   #40
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I don't think Alonso is similar to Schumey at all. I don't see him holding fear of trying something different once F1 is over. Although I think he'd have a few years off first.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 13:18 (Ref:2020952)   #41
pottiella
Veteran

I don't really think its about "fear" really...nor is it comparing Schumi and Alonso either. It's just a perspective...both guys have been at the very top of their game, and in their world as they've progressed, as far as they're concerned, F1 is top dog of all motorsports. Whether we like it or not, both guys do share some similarities (and obviously some notable differences too) about how they perceive and approach motorsports.

There's a good reason why we are all sure he won't go to Toyota, no matter how much cash they throw at him - because love or despise him, everyone can pretty much see he's only interested in having the competitive car to stay at the top...whereas Toyota would be about starting all over again. I might be wrong, but I just feel Fernando (and indeed Schumi) knows better than to start all over again at such late stages in their career ("late" to them).

Off the back of that, if Fernando retires like he says by age 30 (which I can totally see him doing if he wins another title), he's always said its because he wants to leave the life of a jetsetting racing driver to have a normal family life. It'd defeat the purpose by leaving F1 and moving onto another series...
Old 23 Sep 2007, 13:21 (Ref:2020955)   #42
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yes. I well remember Mika Hakkinen stating the same things.

It is possible to go to a series that is more relaxed. I'd be saddened if Fernando just jacked it all in and never drove again after F1.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 13:32 (Ref:2020961)   #43
pottiella
Veteran

hmm, you have a point there about Mika....although Mika comes from a place where they always dip into different types of racing anyway, whereas Fernando's only other love (or experience) seems to be karting. Even if he was into motorbikes (Which seems to be the thing for Spain) I might have said, but he's not. I dunno...I just can't see it...but I could with Mika. I always thought he'd come back to F1...but if Fernando says he's retiring, I can't see him coming back again. That's the difference...

Yeah, I mean personally it'd be a mighty shame if a 27/28/29 year old guy "retires" from racing altogether, but stepping back from it, impartially I would say I'd rather he finished his racing career on top of his game (I respected Mika for doing that...) rather than fading away in any series.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 13:59 (Ref:2020980)   #44
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Well, if Alonso leaves maybe an experienced #2 driver will fit in his place... but I think Button wouldn't accept it to play like that.
Old 23 Sep 2007, 14:01 (Ref:2020981)   #45
pottiella
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bononi
Well, if Alonso leaves maybe an experienced #2 driver will fit in his place... but I think Button wouldn't accept it to play like that.

experienced no2 driver...hmm...translation: washed up F1 driver desperately trying to cling onto a race seat and his F1 career by any means possible...even by playing no2 in a winning team.

Fisi? Ralf?
Old 23 Sep 2007, 14:08 (Ref:2020987)   #46
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Alonso might yet follow his countrymen and try motorbikes....
Old 23 Sep 2007, 14:10 (Ref:2020990)   #47
Dennis.Doyle
Racer

England
Bury, Lancs
Dennis.Doyle should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pottiella
I don't really think its about "fear" really...nor is it comparing Schumi and Alonso either. It's just a perspective...both guys have been at the very top of their game, and in their world as they've progressed, as far as they're concerned, F1 is top dog of all motorsports. Whether we like it or not, both guys do share some similarities (and obviously some notable differences too) about how they perceive and approach motorsports.

There's a good reason why we are all sure he won't go to Toyota, no matter how much cash they throw at him - because love or despise him, everyone can pretty much see he's only interested in having the competitive car to stay at the top...whereas Toyota would be about starting all over again. I might be wrong, but I just feel Fernando (and indeed Schumi) knows better than to start all over again at such late stages in their career ("late" to them).

I thought part of Schumacher's greatness included the fact that he went to the (at the time) almost-no-hoper, red cars & turned them around? Big risk, big pay-off in terms of driver credibility?
Old 23 Sep 2007, 14:24 (Ref:2020996)   #48
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Keep coming !
Old 23 Sep 2007, 14:59 (Ref:2021013)   #49
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by martyn bott
Jenson would be good at McLaren I reckon.And he would bring valuable info with him from Honda like................................................................................................ .................................................................................................... .................................................................................................... ....................................or maybe not.
Now there's an espionage hearing that'll never happen: another team stealing Honda's technical information.

I think Button would do well at McLaren, and it would give him a chance to breathe new life into a career that's threatening to fall very flat the way Honda is going. I can't see it happening though. For my money, I'd love to see Rosberg in a McLaren, but would they want to spend money at this point buying him out of his contract with Williams?
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 23 Sep 2007, 15:12 (Ref:2021027)   #50
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
For my money, I'd love to see Rosberg in a McLaren, but would they want to spend money at this point buying him out of his contract with Williams?
This would be nothing new to Williams,but McLaren aren't as 'flush' as they would normally be for obvious reasons.In times of 'thrift' teams would rather spend on their cars than on a driver.Indeed,they would rather have the driver pay them!