Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Oct 2002, 23:21 (Ref:393553)   #51
Irv the Swerve
Veteran

Irv the Swerve should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Honestly, i have never rated DC as a really top line driver.
Hill had him at Williams, Hakkinen and now Raikkonen at McLaren. He seems to be at his best when fighting eith Michael Schumacher. He makes too many mistakes, although they are not as obvious or embarrassing now as they were in 1995.

As far as him "deserving his seat". well, why not?
He had a good record in the junior formula, and can win a grand prix if the situation presents itself.
Apparently he improves every year and is sponsors dream.
He is, in short, the exact opposite of what McLaren need.
They need someone the shake the s**t out of them, get them going forward again, like Prost in the mid eighties or Senna later on, or Newey. They are stale, bland and workmanlike and basically boring. Just like DC and just like Formula None. Villeneuve would do wonders for them.

Pity really, to me McLaren are not like their image. Ron Dennis is a racer in the old style, so why are his team so poor at the moment, and staid?
Old 1 Oct 2002, 23:47 (Ref:393573)   #52
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally posted by mr v
I have to say that i find the way the Australians hold Mark Webber in such high regard very admirable, and they do that mainly because he is Australian himself, but it's not like that over here.
I have to say, generally speaking, your probably right here.

However thats not why I like him. I have been impressed for the same reason Alonso impressed me. Very fast & consistant and putting that car where it should'nt be.
Old 2 Oct 2002, 08:35 (Ref:393764)   #53
Robert
Racer

Robert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Irv the Swerve
Honestly, i have never rated DC as a really top line driver.
Hill had him at Williams, Hakkinen and now Raikkonen at McLaren.
He was a rookie when Hill was his team mate, Hakkinen didn't always have him and Kimi doesn't.

Robert

Last edited by Robert; 2 Oct 2002 at 08:35.
Old 2 Oct 2002, 10:16 (Ref:393827)   #54
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Robert

He was a rookie when Hill was his team mate, Hakkinen didn't always have him and Kimi doesn't.

Robert
Hakkinen had him at least 80% of the time, and with regards to being a rookie with Hill, you've got to apply that to Kimi who's only in his second season (as was Dc in '95) and is showing him the way, especially in qualifying.

I don't think anyones saying that DC is a bad driver, it's just that he's had a top line drive for the majority of his time in F1 and has done nothing with it. Can anyone else think of a driver who's managed to stay with a top team this long without producing the results?
Old 2 Oct 2002, 10:33 (Ref:393833)   #55
Andrew2001
Veteran

New Zealand
Christchurch, New Zealand
Andrew2001 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think DC deserves to be there until McLaren finds it feet and we can actually get a strong indication of where he is on performance relative to Kimi.
Why is it so many people just DON'T see how great the last two seasons have been for DC on a personal level. He has driven a car that is barely on base with the Williams without even mentioning the Ferraris, yet he has taken 4 wins and over 80 points since the beginning of 2001. For what he has been driving, I think he has done a fabulous job. The entire McLaren team adore him, and as someone mentioned, he ensures continuity, which is what McLaren DOES need right now. Heidfeld and Raikkonen would not be as good as Coulthard and Raikkonen.

McLaren would be wasting their time changing drivers when the car is the problem, not the drivers. DC can't be blamed for what has happened in the last 2 years. Last year he BEAT RALF MONTOYA AND RUBENS IN FAR INFERIOR EQUIPMENT. Sound familiar? Ah yes, that is something that MS has done before: 1996-1997.
Also, over 70% of DC's DNFs at McLaren have been attributed to mechanical failure, often while he has been in strong positions. Mika did him for dinner in 1998-2000, but that is because he is genuinely (I think he is anyway) better. But right now is not the time to be questioning DC's ability, rather its the car that needs to be addressed. I seem to recall that when the car has not been good, DC has had it all over Mika in recent times. Which probably makes DC a better tester too.
Old 2 Oct 2002, 10:41 (Ref:393839)   #56
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by Andrew2001

Why is it so many people just DON'T see how great the last two seasons have been for DC on a personal level.
They proberbly have, getting the better of a lucklustre Mika and out scoring Kimi who has had awful luck.

With regards to last year though, i find it funny that, in DC's best year (so far?) he managed the same ammount of wins as Mika in proberbly his worst year (considering the equipment) and in Mika's worst year would have actully have had more wins than DC had he not blown up on the last lap at Barcelona.
Old 2 Oct 2002, 15:55 (Ref:394139)   #57
HyperRex
Rookie

HyperRex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have this theory that you could replace DC with Dolph Lundgren and as long as he didn't have to drive, no one would notice.
Old 2 Oct 2002, 16:15 (Ref:394154)   #58
Ian Smith
Racer

England
Tamworth Staff's
Ian Smith should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we should pospone this thread for 1 more season to give Kimi time to mature into a number one driver. If trulli could stay awake for a whole race instead of having a doze betwen pit stop 1 And 2 he could be a viable alternative. I agree with Kex I also would like to see Jenson Button in a Mclaren seat
round and round the drivers go where they will sit nobody knows (except Bernie maybe)
Old 4 Oct 2002, 08:50 (Ref:395527)   #59
Robert
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by mr v

Can anyone else think of a driver who's managed to stay with a top team this long without producing the results?
Ermm, being 2nd in the championship behind Mikey, the F1 legend , is that not a result?

Being the only driver so far to have finished in front of both F2002s, is that not a result?

Being in contention for 3rd place behind both them red cars with one race to go, is that not a result?

No, he hasn't won the WDC yet, but if McLaren can get their act together he won't be far away, at the moment DC is the best of the rest behind Mikey.

Robert
Old 4 Oct 2002, 08:52 (Ref:395529)   #60
Robert
Racer

Quote:
Originally posted by HyperRex
I have this theory that you could replace DC with Dolph Lundgren and as long as he didn't have to drive, no one would notice.
**** theory m8!!!

Robert