Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 7 Nov 2008, 00:22 (Ref:2329769)   #51
JABWOA
Veteran

Australia
3rd star to the left
JABWOA should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The trick is get the board to see that... (despite being a member not a number...)
Old 7 Nov 2008, 13:45 (Ref:2330043)   #52
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Or better still, FIA. Sure, we don't have this problem with domestic events, but it still raises it's head at internationals.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 10:38 (Ref:2330984)   #53
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I note with interest that the proper use of Stationary Blue Flags was approved by the CoC at this weekends Sandown Historics.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 11:13 (Ref:2330993)   #54
Rachel Richards
Racer

Wake Island
In a small house by the sea
Rachel Richards should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PVDA
I note with interest that the proper use of Stationary Blue Flags was approved by the CoC at this weekends Sandown Historics.
And I noticed pre-warning yellows too.

Interestingly, a waved at the flagpoint 1/2 way down the main straight (point 0.6 R ???, help me paul) when the waved yellow was out at T1 ?

The flag rules appeared to be going in the opposite direction today ? ? ?

But at a historic meeting, with older drivers who have slower reflexes more pre-warning is far better than the FIA B/S rules.
Old 9 Nov 2008, 21:43 (Ref:2331221)   #55
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel Richards
Interestingly, a waved at the flagpoint 1/2 way down the main straight (point 0.6 R ???, help me paul) when the waved yellow was out at T1 ?
0.5R but what's .1 between motorsport friends

They seemed to be working a combination of both old & new rules with the now traditional use of the National Flag for race starts.Was a great weekend but I really should post that on the event thread in the Australian section of 10/10ths.
Old 11 Nov 2008, 13:00 (Ref:2333078)   #56
AndyCox
Rookie

England
Leicester
AndyCox should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Most people who are in RC probably haven't worked trackside for a long time, if ever
I was at Rockingham, post 13 on Saturday so not all Clerks stay in the warm all the time. But then again, I never try telling experienced flaggies what to do either, it shows a complete lack of faith in their experience and abilities.
Old 13 Nov 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2334510)   #57
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCox
I was at Rockingham, post 13 on Saturday so not all Clerks stay in the warm all the time.
Have you had a nice lie down to recover from the shock ??
Old 18 Nov 2008, 19:58 (Ref:2337164)   #58
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What got me... is that I went back to my home track back in NZ and I got told that every flag must be waved - I'll under line the every flag - even the change of surface flag.......

Good old MSNZ going totally different to FIA and every one else...... Does anyone know the link in which I can get the FIA flag rules?
Old 19 Nov 2008, 06:50 (Ref:2337418)   #59
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
every flag must be waved
Quote:
even the change of surface flag.......
So how are the drivers going to see the stripes on the flag if it's being waved??

I can see confusion as drivers try to determine if it's a Red, Yellow or Striped flag being waved.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 19:21 (Ref:2337811)   #60
Oscar114
Racer

United Kingdom
Widnes
Oscar114 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieMan
Correct - if a yellow is shown before a double waved then it would also be waved.

The FIA flag regs can be viewed at the excellent www.flag-marshal.org.uk
Link to regs earlier in this thread.
Old 19 Nov 2008, 20:11 (Ref:2337851)   #61
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
Quote:
So how are the drivers going to see the stripes on the flag if it's being waved??

I can see confusion as drivers try to determine if it's a Red, Yellow or Striped flag being waved.
Thats what I questioned and told them its the stupidest rule that MSNZ have either put in place........ But those that run MSNZ don't race or officate so they make up these rules and think that they are great
Old 19 Nov 2008, 20:19 (Ref:2337856)   #62
mini1400
Veteran

United Kingdom
Chelmsford, Essex
mini1400 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Thats what I questioned and told them its the stupidest rule that MSNZ have either put in place........ But those that run MSNZ don't race or officate so they make up these rules and think that they are great
At the British GP this year we were told to wave the 'change of surface' flag. After Massa stuffed it on oil under a waved flag it was changed on the saturday to be a stationary flag...
Old 20 Nov 2008, 08:47 (Ref:2338175)   #63
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The change of surface flag can be waved so that it still remains a clear signal to the drivers. In fact the Blue Book states that it should be waved when the situation warrants it.

The easiest way of doing this is to hold it in the stationery position then move it in an arc. The movement should be slow enough as not to 'blur' the colours together and the radius of the arc large enough to indicate that marshal moving the flag is not just fighting the wind.
Old 22 Nov 2008, 08:04 (Ref:2339381)   #64
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Drowning?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norbert
The change of surface flag can be waved so that it still remains a clear signal to the drivers. In fact the Blue Book states that it should be waved when the situation warrants it.

The easiest way of doing this is to hold it in the stationery position then move it in an arc. The movement should be slow enough as not to 'blur' the colours together and the radius of the arc large enough to indicate that marshal moving the flag is not just fighting the wind.
So....thats the "drowning! not waving!! technique!!! The same can be said for any flag really, if you think the drivers are likely to have trouble seeing you....then..."display" the Flag with maximum visibilty, temporarily, before starting to wave.

I was amused today to hear this exchange from a soggy V8 Supercar round at Symmons Plains, Tasmania:

Driver: Blue Flag! (as he approached a bunch of lapped cars)

Commentator: says words like, well thats a big slow, they waved Blue at the next sector, but should have been waving at the previous sector....

This is crazy stuff, especially with the vagaries of trackside communications, not to mention whether the Flag Point in question was already either dealing with another situiation, reporting a contact etc etc whatever

Sorry to vent...but the people running V8 Supercars need to pull their collective heads in and let the Flaggies get on with their job...

Cromly!! think! before you open your mouth mate....you do a top job! but leave comment on Officialdom to a minimum
Old 24 Nov 2008, 20:08 (Ref:2340988)   #65
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
So....thats the "drowning! not waving!! technique!!! The same can be said for any flag really, if you think the drivers are likely to have trouble seeing you....then..."display" the Flag with maximum visibilty, temporarily, before starting to wave.

I was amused today to hear this exchange from a soggy V8 Supercar round at Symmons Plains, Tasmania:

Driver: Blue Flag! (as he approached a bunch of lapped cars)

Commentator: says words like, well thats a big slow, they waved Blue at the next sector, but should have been waving at the previous sector....

This is crazy stuff, especially with the vagaries of trackside communications, not to mention whether the Flag Point in question was already either dealing with another situiation, reporting a contact etc etc whatever

Sorry to vent...but the people running V8 Supercars need to pull their collective heads in and let the Flaggies get on with their job...

Cromly!! think! before you open your mouth mate....you do a top job! but leave comment on Officialdom to a minimum
Well I loved about this weekend was when S Richards stopped at the exit of the old pit lane the flag point right oppisite went from waved white to a waved green then a yellow.... and the next flag point didn't even have a green out......

But I totally agree with you Mick about the people in RC to let us do our job the way we are trained... I respect the fact that rules change and we have to change with it but those in charge have to give us the respect that we can do the job....
Old 24 Nov 2008, 21:23 (Ref:2341045)   #66
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Quote:
people in RC to let us do our job the way we are trained
I s'pose I should point out that the locals in Race control are probably happy for those trackside to do their job but the imports that chase the series, and also make the rules, are the one's forcing this on us.
Old 25 Nov 2008, 23:25 (Ref:2341789)   #67
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Same as FIA meets, then. Our regulars would leave everyone to it, but FIA directors interfere.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 18:21 (Ref:2342318)   #68
Aardvaark
Rookie

England
Timperley, Altrincham
Aardvaark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Many moons ago - well mid nineties - I seem to recall at the flag briefing at the British GP we were told that yellows must be waved and that if a yellow was waved, the previous point should also show a waved yellow .... until we pointed out that this would instantly cause a full course yellow! Withdrawal of instruction. I think it was probably the same or a very adjecent British GP when we were told that we had to radio in every time we showed the blue flag for all races - instruction rapidly abandonned roughly 5 laps into the GT race when the airwaves got all gunged up with blue flag reports! So nothnig chnages, "they" just think they know better. Hence why I gave up GP marshalling 7 years ago in favour of real racing.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 19:33 (Ref:2342357)   #69
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
I remember that one, and it's about the same time I gave up. I remember thinking that if the people who were telling us how to do the job we do perfectly well all year could come up with such dumb instructions then I didn't want to help them.

I also remember the year we got issued official hats and since many people had their own favourites so they gave out the instruction that marshals were 'only to wear the official hats'. So at the parade one of them did - fortunately not on his head in order to spare blushes.
Old 26 Nov 2008, 20:16 (Ref:2342375)   #70
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
It just makes me wonder if the powers to be realise that we are only volunteers and that we train bloody hard to do the job. Also use our own money to go to these events...

To be told how to do our jobs.... Myabe those in charge should come down in the rain, hail or sunshine and do our job.......
Old 26 Nov 2008, 21:36 (Ref:2342428)   #71
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Yes, they know we're volunteers, that's why they think they know better because they're the professionals.
Old 27 Nov 2008, 18:13 (Ref:2342860)   #72
Aardvaark
Rookie

England
Timperley, Altrincham
Aardvaark should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I remember the blue flag radio when I was on Luffield 2 and being instructed "Luffield 2 X for Y" - but I had just watched "X" pass "Y" at Brooklands - so I didn't bother! Soon after, similar, I saw "Y" (shall we call him) coming up on backmarker "X" through Brooklands, through Luffield 1 - listen to radio - total silence - so I waved the blue at X for obvious reasons - to get the call as they both went through Copse, Y having passed X down the start finish straight, "Luffield 2 X for Y" - at this point I hung my headphones on the fence and just got on with the job.
Old 28 Nov 2008, 19:26 (Ref:2343482)   #73
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Shelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridShelagh should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
We had something similar during our last GP in 2002. We saw "Montoya" unlap himself against "Ralf" (not sure which way round the drivers were) to then hear the message to "Blue" Montoya 'cos he was now ahead of "a faster car".

Trouble is that they use a computer system which only notes where the cars are in relation to each other on the track so they call for the blue if slower car is ahead of faster car by a couple of seconds or so. They have no way of working out whether or not that is a good call or not - as shown by my example. Computers, eh???? - answer to nothing!

One of the reasons we stopped doing GPs was this "control" over blue flags. Don't get me started on the others..................
Old 28 Nov 2008, 20:02 (Ref:2343503)   #74
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
So just a qurstion if any one can help out.... the A1 - do they operate under who's rules? is it FIA or do they there own.... and if so where can we get a copy..
Old 29 Nov 2008, 19:42 (Ref:2343964)   #75
Shelagh
Pit Lane Hooter
Veteran

England
Gnosall, Stafford
Well, only done one A1GP and that was in NZ so no idea what rules they were following. As mentioned elsewhere, Bill got told off for putting out a waved yellow while Steve was clearing Team Switzerland's front wing off the track. Reason for telling off - no cars on that sector so no need for yellow........

I would also like to know just what experience those in race control have to enable them to make such decisions. Let's put them out on the bank at least once (on chosen posts) with a good supply of loo-roll and then see if it makes any difference ................