Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 1 Feb 2005, 22:07 (Ref:1215010)   #101
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Au contraire, many rate Pantano very highly indeed (though perhaps more would have done so in January last year than in December).
Old 1 Feb 2005, 22:48 (Ref:1215045)   #102
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pantano was often a second or more away from him in qualifying and in the races Nick killed him for sustained pace.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 22:55 (Ref:1215050)   #103
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
The car was awful, but Nick did a much better job of getting it around the track. The same was true when Glock came in for Pantano. Klien wasn't always that far off Webber, epsecially in the races.

Frank seems to have spotted something in Webber, just as he has in countless other unheralded drivers in the past. I hope he's right. Heidfeld is probably a simialr case, although theoretically Frank regards Button (and Rubens) higher. I think they'll be close, and I'm looking forward to it.
Old 1 Feb 2005, 23:15 (Ref:1215061)   #104
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
That and the fact they couldn't (get) the driver they really wanted..!
they did.
Old 2 Feb 2005, 00:52 (Ref:1215107)   #105
KE30MAN
Racer

KE30MAN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonic
Nick who?

only joking. I look forward to hearing his voice - I don't think I've ever heard him speak.

Webber's got him beaten on the PR and Image front by about 8 billion miles.

will be interesting to see how they compare race wise. But whichever way you look at the pair - they just ain't Raikonnen and Montoya.
You're right, Nick was faster than Kimi and Mark doesn't give up because the car isn't perfect.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 12:46 (Ref:1216434)   #106
krt917
Veteran

krt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkrt917 should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or, you could say the two pairs are different because Heidfeld and Webber (in particular) know how to work hard and get the best out of the car and team!

Don't get me wrong, Kimi and JPM are great in their own ways, but I reckon NH and MW may yet prove to be just as godd overall, possibly being more complete drivers (though, to be fair, all of them are still developing as F1 drivers.
Old 3 Feb 2005, 23:44 (Ref:1217003)   #107
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry to spoil the party NH fans...what happens when Button wants his seat back in 2006!?
Old 3 Feb 2005, 23:46 (Ref:1217006)   #108
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, they pair Button and Heidfeld for 2006, and pack Webber off....
Old 3 Feb 2005, 23:49 (Ref:1217011)   #109
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Id guess MWs got a longer contract than NH.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 00:23 (Ref:1217028)   #110
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
I don't think Button will join Williams. There is little chance of that. BAR will be strong again and if they are, well, Button stays. I think he will be within 75% of the championship leader by Hungary. He even may be the championship leader!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 01:39 (Ref:1217055)   #111
KE30MAN
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kicking-back
Well, they pair Button and Heidfeld for 2006, and pack Webber off....
Or they can send Button back to Renault where he will show again that he is smooth but slow. Button's success last year was simply because of a very good chassis and engine and not divine talent. As much as I like Jenson, and I do, I can't see him ever standing in the middle of the podium.

Let's be honest if BAR had Alonso and Fisi driving from them last year rather than Button and Sato they would have won races.

KB you may have said that Webber hasn't proved himself, and you are right. Button however, is a known quantity. He's been beaten by a team mate before and will again.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 02:14 (Ref:1217074)   #112
Skam85
Veteran

Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!Skam85 has a real shot at the championship!
Controversy, KE30MAN!! I agree with you about the car making Button look better than he is, but I think he will probably win a race or two this year. Only because of the car. You only need to look at him vs. Fisi to know how well he can measure up to a classy teammate. (nothing against JV, it just wasn't happening for him in 03).
Old 4 Feb 2005, 02:30 (Ref:1217084)   #113
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
I've been Buttons biggest critic in the past, but sorry KE30MAN, he had some classy drives last season.

I was far from impressed by him at Renault, but he stepped up the last 2 seasons at BAR.

Back on topic, fwiw I dont think we will see Button at Williams in 2006 either.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 03:04 (Ref:1217096)   #114
Skam85
Veteran

IMO, Dave Richards was his problem and now he's gone Button will stay. He won't try and leave again. He would be stupid to do so. He has stable and secure drive, why would he want to risk that?
Old 4 Feb 2005, 04:33 (Ref:1217124)   #115
KE30MAN
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrex
I've been Buttons biggest critic in the past, but sorry KE30MAN, he had some classy drives last season.

I was far from impressed by him at Renault, but he stepped up the last 2 seasons at BAR.

Back on topic, fwiw I dont think we will see Button at Williams in 2006 either.
I don't disagree Wrex. But my point is if Button was so quick in the BAR, how good was the BAR?
Old 4 Feb 2005, 05:01 (Ref:1217128)   #116
Skam85
Veteran

It was very good. Simple. 70% car, 30% driver.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 05:03 (Ref:1217129)   #117
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
The BAR was great. That does'nt lesson his performance in it.

The Ferrari was the best car last season, that does'nt mean Michael's performance was'nt equally glowing either. I dont think Button was good because the he got a BAR 3rd in the championship, I base my opinion on his individual drives (as I do all drivers).

I dont think anyone would disagree BAR produced their best car to date.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 05:10 (Ref:1217133)   #118
Skam85
Veteran

No doubt about it. Look at Sato for instance. IMO, he improved in leaps and bounds last year. But if he was in a Williams or McLaren, I doubt whether he would have gotten on the podium.

Button also put in some solid performances, a small improvement as a driver from 2003, but a HUGE improvement in the car. Thus 3rd in the championship and 10 podiums. His drive in Germany was stunning to watch, it has to be said though!
Old 4 Feb 2005, 05:25 (Ref:1217140)   #119
KE30MAN
Racer

I know what you are saying BUT would have the BAR been a race winner if Michael was driving it and conversely would the Ferrari have been a winner in the hands of Jenson?

Not that it can be answered definitively but I suspect the answers may be yes and maybe respectively.

I am not have a shot at Jenson, but I think he may have had the fastest car in the field last year in a lot of races.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 05:59 (Ref:1217149)   #120
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
What driver would measure up to Michael though (seriously)?

Would Michael have won in the BAR, very possible, but MS is a little unique. Would Montoya, Kimi or Webber have much better job for BAR?

I dont think so.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 06:28 (Ref:1217159)   #121
Gt_R
Veteran

Gt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGt_R should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Indeed.

No doubt BAR got a wonderful package last year, the best car after Ferrari. Unfortunately they did not conclude the year with their maiden win.

However, although the car proved itself to be great, and a potential winner (afterall, Renault, Williams and Mclaren all got a win each)... i think Button had done as good a job as any "Montoya, Kimi, or Webber" could have possibly done.

Button may not be the shinest last year, and the car may have helped his results a huge deal..but he had definitely impressed last season and an improvement over his past forms.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 11:36 (Ref:1217333)   #122
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber has finally got a team-mate who will push him hard; Nick might push him out.Time has come for Webber to perform.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 11:58 (Ref:1217351)   #123
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1_carzy
Time has come for Webber to perform.
Have you not noticed him performing before now? He'll continue to do sensational things, but this time in a car that (hopefully) has some race-pace.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 12:10 (Ref:1217358)   #124
Kicking-back
Veteran

Webber could be good - time will tell.

On the subject of Button - his time at Renault was when he was much more inexperienced than now, and in a car which fundamentally didn't suit his driving style.

Mark Hughes is one of the most observant writers on the subject of driving styles and has much to say on this particular case.
Old 4 Feb 2005, 12:18 (Ref:1217361)   #125
f1_carzy
Racer

United Kingdom
Bangor, Co Down
f1_carzy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Webber as an individual has never goofed up; he has been good. But, is it too much of a coincidence that all team-mates of Webber have failed, which I guess, makes it difficult to definitively gauge his true potential.

Pizzonia cud not even score a single point, while he was at Jaguar, but when he substituted for Ralf last year, he did not look all that bad. So, one cannot really tell until Melbourne?

Good luck Webbo!