Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 8 Nov 2004, 17:55 (Ref:1147740)   #1
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Davidson and Heidfeld to test Williams

Dunno if you want to merge with the other williams thread - but it is gynormous and this is now hard fact.

according to autosport.com now:

Williams will give Anthony Davidson and Nick Heidfeld a chance to compete for a place on the grid in 2005, when the team runs two three-day tests at Jerez in early December. The tests have been scheduled to “assist the team in the process of deciding its 2005 driver line-up” according to a Williams spokesperson.

c'mon ANT!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1147748)   #2
sonic
Veteran

sonic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
this on Reuters also added:

The statement did not mention Briton David Coulthard, who has been lobbying hard for the last remaining top seat in Formula One after being replaced at McLaren.

Neither did it offer any hope for France's Sebastien Bourdais, who won the Champ Car title in Mexico at the weekend and said afterwards that he would be calling team boss Frank Williams about a possible drive.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 18:03 (Ref:1147749)   #3
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well to me it looks like Anthony and Nick have been narrowed down, both in my opinion deserve the ride, I wonder if Frank shall do a similar idea to what he did in '99 between Jenson and Bruno.

Common Anthony!!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 18:04 (Ref:1147750)   #4
Tweed
Veteran

Wales
North Wales
Tweed should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I second that motion!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 18:09 (Ref:1147753)   #5
Rennen
Veteran

United Kingdom
Hertfordshire
Rennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridRennen should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I like the idea of a 'shoot-out' Ant's at his best in a competitive situation...BRING IT ON!!!!
Old 8 Nov 2004, 18:18 (Ref:1147765)   #6
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Awww.... both of them deserve the drive...
Old 8 Nov 2004, 18:20 (Ref:1147768)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
If the damned thing is going to be decided on merit and not big bucks for once, I wish both of them luck - I don't think either will disappoint.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 18:22 (Ref:1147771)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
DC and Pizzonia remain in contention - the team feels it knows the two of them enough not to need to involve them in this test.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 19:04 (Ref:1147805)   #9
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
If the damned thing is going to be decided on merit and not big bucks for once, I wish both of them luck - I don't think either will disappoint.
With Williams it was never going to be about bringing money. The top teams (over half the grid!) don't do the money thing with drivers - apart from telling them when they are asking too much!
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
DC and Pizzonia remain in contention - the team feels it knows the two of them enough not to need to involve them in this test.
Certainly true with Pizzonia and probably true with Coulthard.

I think it is a shame Bourdais won't be involved. Although until yesterday I don't remember him being mentioned.

Last edited by Adam43; 8 Nov 2004 at 19:06.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 19:18 (Ref:1147818)   #10
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Go Ant, although I would be happy if Heidfeld got it also.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1147928)   #11
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm sure that if Ant is chosen and has a very promising saeson I'm it mucks up and anoys Button's plans in the future for Williams.

Last edited by luke; 8 Nov 2004 at 20:55.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 20:57 (Ref:1147932)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
No it won't, luke.

I expect if Ant gets the drive it'll be on a year's loan - and he and Jenson will simply swap in 2006.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 21:02 (Ref:1147938)   #13
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Similar to what happened to Jenson himself in '00 then.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 21:40 (Ref:1147982)   #14
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I suspec thte lack of invites for Pizzonia and DC are to allow them to cocentrate more closely on what Heidfeld and Davidson can do. All four are probably seriously in the fray.

The fact that Button will almost certainyl drive for Williams in 2006, and Davidson for BAR, makes it an interesting choice. My feeling is that Frank should only go for Davidson if he is sure that Ant is the best candidate available - otherwise, he could ifnd himself helping himd evelop and suffering from any 'rookie mistakes', only to see him go to BAR as a better driver.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 22:15 (Ref:1148026)   #15
Dixie Flatline
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
Dixie Flatline should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think we've been through that before, and you may recall that Coulthard drove a season for Williams in 1995 when they were nearing their zenith, then switched to McLaren in '96 after McLaren had gone through a terrible performance phase. Further, after Panis tested with McLaren for a season, he joined BAR and I recall Panis' knowledge gained in testing for McLaren was a publicly cited benefit of his move.

If Sir Frank and Patrick Head think that Davidson is the best man for the job, then, IMHO, they will sign him for '05 without paying too much regard for what might happen in '06.
Old 8 Nov 2004, 22:16 (Ref:1148027)   #16
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
Good point, Anthony is more promising but Nick is less of a risk.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 00:36 (Ref:1148117)   #17
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I have read proposed test dates a week apart for respective drivers. So much can change in a week, that just makes no sense to me. They must drive on the same day(s) for it to be anywhere near a true and fair test. And one day would not be enough either. Both (all) drivers should be allowed to work on setups.
If the times are close, and there's no politics involved, I'd choose Nick, just because of his experience.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 00:47 (Ref:1148122)   #18
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Leaving out DC doesn't make alot of sense-surely one would want to compare the potential new drivers against someone they allready know?

All i can think is that DC (and any other potential drivers) are way down the list-all they want to do is concentrate on the drivers they REALLY want first then they'll worry about others later.
They have stated that they are in no hurry at all

I'm not sure what to think about the "training AD for BAR" situation...wether it worries frank in the slightest.
He'd probably just pick the driver with the most potential for this year (only)....but....maybe he might want a bargaining chip if button is obliged to stay at bar for yet another year?
Just a thought and prob not relevant

Last edited by RWC; 9 Nov 2004 at 00:53.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 00:50 (Ref:1148124)   #19
Turbo_Era
Racer

Turbo_Era should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Kicking-back
Pizzonia will test alongside Mark on the 24th.

Don't believe DC will get a chance. DC has a nice resume, every one knows it, but his best results are sooo in the past.

That's a test for the full line up for next year, and will definitely define who (AP, NH and AD) will race and who will test.

I hope AD or AP get the race seat.

Last edited by Turbo_Era; 9 Nov 2004 at 00:52.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 00:58 (Ref:1148126)   #20
RWC
Veteran

RWC should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Turbo_Era
Pizzonia will test alongside Mark on the 24th.
Now that will be an interesting test!!
Seeing as how mark wiped the floor with AP at Jag-now there will be no excuses for pizzonia as he knows this team and car inside out.
Quote:

Don't believe DC will get a chance. DC has a nice resume, every one knows it, but his best results are sooo in the past.
I didn't want to say much,some are abit sensitive about that around here
Old 9 Nov 2004, 01:18 (Ref:1148131)   #21
Turbo_Era
Racer

Turbo_Era should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by RWC
Now that will be an interesting test!!
Seeing as how mark wiped the floor with AP at Jag-now there will be no excuses for pizzonia as he knows this team and car inside out.
Exactly. No excuses now.

I think AP can be as fast as MW... But in terms of leadership and maturity, Mark is way better. Looking forward to what he can do in a top team.

Regarding DC, well... I was delighted 10 years ago to see a young guy driving for a top team. Good driver, good developer, great PR skills, but I guess that's common sense to agree with Ron Dennis.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 01:38 (Ref:1148143)   #22
jhansen
Veteran

United States
California
jhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjhansen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I also thought that taking Anthony Davidson on only to turn him over to BAR after a year of race training was a gamble. But then again, what if AD impressed in 2005?
Old 9 Nov 2004, 01:44 (Ref:1148145)   #23
Wrex
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne - Home of the Australian GP
Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!Wrex is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Exactly. No excuses now.

I think AP can be as fast as MW... But in terms of leadership and maturity, Mark is way better. Looking forward to what he can do in a top team.
I agree, there is no doubt Pizzonia is quick, we have already seen him compared to Montoya (who we know for sure is bloody quick).

However, a fast lap does not a champion make.[/yoda]

I keep reading on this forum that Mark does'nt respect AP, but I cant ever recall reading a quote from Mark to support this? Is it true, or just media BS?

I can understand it though, he was outclassed at Jag and I dont think Webber would have liked the Jaguar comments.

On Ant, surely DR has a big fat contract with AD's signature on it already?
Old 9 Nov 2004, 07:00 (Ref:1148251)   #24
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
If I was Frank, I'd take Nick - especially if the Button contract is already under wraps for '06.

Why get a youngster and train him up, getting him up to speed for one of your biggest rivals?

Heidfeld is a known quantity. Fast reliable and capable of regularly finishing in the points with a few podiums thrown in for good measure. Plus, if he turns out to be a sensation you can have a say in where he goes.
Old 9 Nov 2004, 08:41 (Ref:1148297)   #25
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
"get him up to speed"? Haven't you guys been watching the Friday times of Ant this year? He IS up to speed already.