Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 19 Dec 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2358598)   #101
Woolley
Race Official
Veteran

England
Wolverhampton, England
Woolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameWoolley will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Don't know about blues. They invented the full course yellow, and FIA was too precious and superior to just adopt something that works, preferring to be clever and invent something that mostly doesn't.
Old 20 Dec 2008, 16:37 (Ref:2358882)   #102
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomad_n
So it begs te question does the states have different rules to the rest of the motorsports world? As when champ cars came to town the blue flagging was slightly different...
There are three basic different flagging systems in the world, and the difference is really down to historical development.

They are:
European
North American
Antipodean/Asian

Go back in history, and the French "invented" steeplechase racing about the same time as the Americans were racing tractors round barns on the prarie.

One developed into Grand Prix, the other into Indy ovals.

They needed different marshalling techniques and different flagging systems due to their nature.

Move forward to the time between the wars, and the French decided they would be in charge of world motor sport. The Americans were not happy with that, and went their own way.

After WW2 there was a vast increase in the number of closed circuits in Europe, while the USA still concentrated on ovals. The Australians came into the game, copying the "Yanks" they had fought alongside in the Pacific. However there was other input, and they are not identical. Thus the divide continued.

Even now, with the FIA actually recognised world wide the Americans do not wholly endorse the FIA rules.

I agree with Wooley, that the FIA tend to be blinkered and have kneejerk reactions to re-inventing the wheel when there are already good rules in place.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 05:32 (Ref:2359113)   #103
275 GTB-4
Veteran

Australia
South of Sydney NSW, Australie
275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid275 GTB-4 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
B&B

Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy
There are three basic different flagging systems in the world, and the difference is really down to historical development.

They are:
European
North American
Antipodean/Asian

Go back in history, and the French "invented" steeplechase racing about the same time as the Americans were racing tractors round barns on the prarie.

One developed into Grand Prix, the other into Indy ovals.

They needed different marshalling techniques and different flagging systems due to their nature.

Move forward to the time between the wars, and the French decided they would be in charge of world motor sport. The Americans were not happy with that, and went their own way.

After WW2 there was a vast increase in the number of closed circuits in Europe, while the USA still concentrated on ovals. The Australians came into the game, copying the "Yanks" they had fought alongside in the Pacific. However there was other input, and they are not identical. Thus the divide continued.

Even now, with the FIA actually recognised world wide the Americans do not wholly endorse the FIA rules.

I agree with Wooley, that the FIA tend to be blinkered and have kneejerk reactions to re-inventing the wheel when there are already good rules in place.
Hmmmm interesting comments...apart from Indy, I would have thought the Aussies were hugely influenced by the Brits and of course Euro for some classes of racing.

BTW...noting your comments about their origins, how come US Marshals don't wear Bib and Brace overalls
Old 21 Dec 2008, 21:14 (Ref:2359411)   #104
theracegypsy
Veteran

theracegypsy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by 275 GTB-4
Hmmmm interesting comments...apart from Indy, I would have thought the Aussies were hugely influenced by the Brits and of course Euro for some classes of racing.

BTW...noting your comments about their origins, how come US Marshals don't wear Bib and Brace overalls
Often they do!

Most wear white cotton jeans and a long sleeve white cotton tee shirt (remember they are not allowed to go trackside under their insurance rulles except at club meetings, and even then it is well controlled.)

But painters cotton dickies Bib and Brace are also popular, and are cheap too. Often combined with the white jacket for patches.

USGP we were issued with Smurf suits. in that lovely pale blue shade. Go figure who thought that one up.
Old 21 Dec 2008, 22:14 (Ref:2359443)   #105
PVDA
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne
PVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridPVDA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by theracegypsy
The Australians came into the game, copying the "Yanks" they had fought alongside in the Pacific. However there was other input, and they are not identical. Thus the divide continued.
The American influence on our side of the ditch didn't really occur until Bob Jane built the first Superspeedway out the USA at Calder Park (Thunderdome) in 1987 and introduced NASCAR and it's methods to Australia, this was followed by the Indy/CART/IRL stuff at Surfers.

The above ignores 1/4 & 1/2 mile dirt speedway which has been strongly aligned with the USA for many, many years and the racing at the Thunderdome was seen by many as the next step up from speedway racing.

The F1GP arriving in Australia (Adelaide) in 1985 cemented the FIA way into the Australian CAMS culture and we have been going down hill fast ever since. It's not until recent times when several promotors got sick of CAMS & FIA rules and costs that alternatives have been sought.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 20:43 (Ref:2359868)   #106
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
nomad_n should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
well this has been interesting reading.... thanks for eveyones input.... looks like we just have to beconfused as usual (seems to be the best way)
Old 18 Feb 2009, 11:34 (Ref:2399570)   #107
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
Hey there people while I was flagging in New Zealand I got asked what site I could go to for looking at the hand signals that flaggies use i.e. the crossed arms for rescue.... If anyone can help me to answer this question it would be greatly appreciated
Old 19 Feb 2009, 01:37 (Ref:2400003)   #108
PieMan
Seigneur des pâtés en croûte
Racer

England
Bedfordshire
PieMan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Hey there people while I was flagging in New Zealand I got asked what site I could go to for looking at the hand signals that flaggies use i.e. the crossed arms for rescue.... If anyone can help me to answer this question it would be greatly appreciated
Signals vary from country to country and probably also have regional variations. They are more likely to be used by incident marshals rather than flaggies, who are too busy waving the linen. The very comprehensive system used in the USA was recently discussed on this thread:
http://tentenths.com/forum/showthread.php?t=112957

Last edited by PieMan; 19 Feb 2009 at 01:39.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 02:22 (Ref:2400011)   #109
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
...what site I could go to for looking at the hand signals that flaggies use...
Well if you want to have a look at the UK signals, click here and scroll to page 16.
Old 19 Feb 2009, 20:37 (Ref:2400427)   #110
nomad_n
Racer

New Zealand
gold coast
hanks guys this really helps, Ive sent though to the chief flag at Ruapuna international raceway in NZ.