Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 11 Jan 2006, 20:41 (Ref:1499470)   #1
JAG
Veteran

England
JAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridJAG should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Tom Walkinshaw

http://msn.foxsports.com/motor/story/5235272

With his Le Mans history I'm hoping that whatever his current plans are they are a success, then who knows, he could be back at Le Mans.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 21:00 (Ref:1499477)   #2
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well from what has been said over in the Touring Car forum, he is either going to lunch a Rally program or a BTCC program, guess we will find out tomorrow.
Old 11 Jan 2006, 21:57 (Ref:1499520)   #3
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
brielga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
with his sad exit from F1 Mr Walkinshaw should keep a low profile....
Old 12 Jan 2006, 01:50 (Ref:1499621)   #4
911GT3RS
Rookie

911GT3RS should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Please be with Jag, Please be with Jag, Please be with Jag.....
Old 12 Jan 2006, 10:40 (Ref:1499780)   #5
Pilgrimage
Veteran

England
Kent, England
Pilgrimage should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not likely to be a Jaguar LMP1 project then? - oh come on, one can dream can't one
Old 12 Jan 2006, 10:41 (Ref:1499782)   #6
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Sponsored by a bank perhaps?
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 12 Jan 2006, 11:01 (Ref:1499795)   #7
Splendid Cat
Racer

Splendid Cat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
On the complete contrary. One of the best Group A teams there was (Jaguar / Rover). Multiple race wins in very competetive ETC races.

One of the best Touring Car drivers ever - Spa 24 wins, ETC champ in 84, had more poles than an ageing hooker.

Group C Jags - nuff said

TWR Porsche WSC95 - nuff said.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 12:52 (Ref:1499879)   #8
b1ackcr0w
Veteran

b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!b1ackcr0w is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by brielga
Eh?

Considering the staggering costs even to get on the back of the F1 Grid, the fact he was a reasonably competitive mid-fielder shows he had talent. I see no reason for him to be embarressed, just because he couldn't generate money faster than F1 could spend it .
Old 12 Jan 2006, 12:57 (Ref:1499882)   #9
Alfa Fan
Veteran

Alfa Fan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Its been annonced as a rally program. Something to do with supplying Rally cars. Rather disapointing IMO.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 14:02 (Ref:1499916)   #10
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfa Fan
Its been annonced as a rally program. Something to do with supplying Rally cars. Rather disapointing IMO.
In the report I ve seen it says he has done a deal with Mitsubishi, but it doesnt specifically say for rally cars. Mitsubishi have of course withdrawn from the WRC. Perhaps they have plans for some other form of racing.

see reort here
Old 12 Jan 2006, 16:45 (Ref:1499974)   #11
fausto
Veteran

Wales
fausto should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Maybe it's the first step towards TW return to circuit racing....
Old 12 Jan 2006, 16:59 (Ref:1499982)   #12
Mal
Veteran

England
London
Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!Mal is going for a new world record!
TWR was very much a multi functional company similar to Prodrive. He may well be intending to resurrect that. It appeared to be very successful until he got caught by the F1 bug.
Old 12 Jan 2006, 17:07 (Ref:1499984)   #13
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Apeldoorn, The Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splendid Cat
On the complete contrary. One of the best Group A teams there was (Jaguar / Rover). Multiple race wins in very competetive ETC races.

One of the best Touring Car drivers ever - Spa 24 wins, ETC champ in 84, had more poles than an ageing hooker.

Group C Jags - nuff said

TWR Porsche WSC95 - nuff said.
Please take in mind that the mind of the average dutchman regarding Tom Walkinshaw is blocked by the way he treated Jos Verstappen. The man has indeed had great successes earlier on, it's just that in Holland his name has a very very black air around it among the general public. Glad I never got influenced by that Verstappen-mania.... (no offense brielga )
Old 12 Jan 2006, 22:06 (Ref:1500196)   #14
Zandbak
Racer

Netherlands
Zandbak should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Glad I never got influenced by that Verstappen-mania.... (no offense brielga )
I didn't know I had a blood-brother

Back to TW, Mitsubishi back to rally or/and racing? Very surprising considering the problems of Mitsubishi. DaimlerChrysler wants to sell its share in Mitsubishi. European productionplants that are facing a shutdown..........
Old 12 Jan 2006, 22:35 (Ref:1500216)   #15
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bramzel
Glad I never got influenced by that Verstappen-mania.... (no offense brielga )
Neither did I, I'm not Dutch myself and I cannot stand Jos btw but it's true. I just think the whole Walkinshaw-Verstappen incident did not leave TW in a good light over here regardless of my opinion of Jos. I'm not disputing his CV either (I saw some British ruffled feathers as well... ) or his talent as team manager, just stating my opinion on how a good and potentially competitive team like Arrows went down playing hide and seek with the providers. BTW if you cannot get the money as quick as F1 spends it then you cannot play that game...(just stating a fact, my interest in F1 lowers every day, I'm just too old fashioned for that market megalomania)
Old 13 Jan 2006, 09:35 (Ref:1500386)   #16
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Bramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridBramzel should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I think one of TW's major problems was that african prince promising a lot of money and not making those promises true.
Old 13 Jan 2006, 10:11 (Ref:1500401)   #17
brielga
Veteran

Uruguay
Bloemendaal, Netherlands
maybe he got one of these spam-mails and he thought the 20 million would be deposited in his account!!!!!! lol
Old 15 Jan 2006, 17:05 (Ref:1501748)   #18
knighty
Veteran

England
Essex
knighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridknighty should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
TW is a cowboy of grand proportions, he ran his TWR empire into the ground all by himself, he had screwed so many people in the past that it all came back to haunt him.......he owed so much money to so many small big and companies that they took a really bad hit when TWR went into recievership......not to mention the several hundred ex TWR employees that are owed unpaid wages........he should do himself a favour and carry on doing a "lord lucan" impression.......the motorsport industry is a better place for him not being here.......its also common knowledge that he was a cheat of grand proportions.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 17:36 (Ref:1501761)   #19
Splendid Cat
Racer

But he knew how to drive a Group A XJ-S or Rover Vitesse quicker than anybody, period, and that's reason enough for him to be a part of the motor racing industry, as his his putting Jaguar back on the racing map and being a massive contributor to the heady Le Mans days of 86-91.

I think he performed remarkably in building up his business from nothing in the 70's. From reading many accounts and being lucky enough to talk to some of his ex-touring car and sportscar drivers, he was a tremendously respected boss.

Personally speaking I got hooked on racing due to TW (1977 TT, Alpina Gusser Beer CSL).

Love to see him back
Old 15 Jan 2006, 17:47 (Ref:1501769)   #20
Bramzel
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
TW is a cowboy of grand proportions, he ran his TWR empire into the ground all by himself
He also successfully built it up and maintained it at the top for over 20 years.
Old 15 Jan 2006, 17:54 (Ref:1501773)   #21
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by knighty
TW is a cowboy of grand proportions, he ran his TWR empire into the ground all by himself, he had screwed so many people in the past that it all came back to haunt him.......he owed so much money to so many small big and companies that they took a really bad hit when TWR went into recievership......not to mention the several hundred ex TWR employees that are owed unpaid wages........he should do himself a favour and carry on doing a "lord lucan" impression.......the motorsport industry is a better place for him not being here.......its also common knowledge that he was a cheat of grand proportions.

I don't think TW is alone in that, quite a few will have some murky history. He got seduced by F1 and all the crap that goes with it.

TWR has a huge history in Saloon and GT cars and it is good IMHO that he is making a comeback.

Its up to the companys he screwed over last time if they trade with him, I doubt his credit rating will be too good so it will have to be cash only!

Just for splendid cat
TT 77 CSL
happy days indeed
Old 15 Jan 2006, 18:07 (Ref:1501780)   #22
Splendid Cat
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordic
!

Just for splendid cat
TT 77 CSL
happy days indeed

Nordic - u went? My second race ever (1st being 76 TT). XJ12c - what a noise - Batmobiles. MMMMMmmm! Thanks!
Old 16 Jan 2006, 11:07 (Ref:1502270)   #23
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yep, always went to see the TT, it was one of my favorite meetings of the year. The XJ12's promised much, but sadly like the British car industry of the time failed to deliver, unlike the dollys which where always on the pace.

TWR has a fine history in the TT, starting as a driver then with the RX7's, Rovers, Jags etc, his infulance on both GT's and tourers was huge.