Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 28 May 2003, 16:36 (Ref:612632)   #1
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's going better each day for Tom Walkinshaw!!

http://www.wyles-hardy.co.uk/equipment2.html#twr2
Old 28 May 2003, 16:47 (Ref:612640)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Oh come on, we shouldn't laug...
Old 28 May 2003, 17:01 (Ref:612650)   #3
Bononi
Race Official
20KPINAL

Bononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBononi will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Uh... it's a good way to pay his employees, although it's sounds very embarassing.
Old 28 May 2003, 17:09 (Ref:612655)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Some amazing cars there. A real testament to what Tom achieved over the years. It is a shame that it has come to this. A real shame for Tom and all the people who worked for various parts of TWR.

I suppose some are getting a sick pleasure from it.
Old 28 May 2003, 17:12 (Ref:612661)   #5
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Seeing as it is a list of loads of different cars from all categories which are up for sale, I'm not sure how F1 this is.

I reckon it's Armchair Enthusiast or possibly Historic (they'd be some great discussions about these cars there). I'll plump for AE. Although, I grant you that'd be one hell of an enthusiat, or one hell of an armchair!
Old 28 May 2003, 17:25 (Ref:612679)   #6
garcon
Veteran

Antarctica
Wilmslow, Cheshire
garcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famegarcon will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
If I was in the market for any of those, I wouldn't be spending much time in my armchair. Unless that armchair happened to be in my palatial motorhome in the paddock...

Besides, I've always thought Armchair Enthusiast would be more at home in an antique furniture forum...

Anyway. Ahem. It's sad to see what's happened to Tom in some ways. But then, he's been there and done it, he's had the b*lls to take the risks, he's enjoyed some pretty good times. Sooner or later, he was probably going to take one risk too many. I bet I know what his answer would be if some fool asked whether he'd do it all again...

Hopefully most of those cars will go to a good home. Especially the Group C Jags. Aren't they just gorgeous? I can imagine a few thoroughbred and classic GT enthusiasts will be banging down the doors to get their hands on one of those babies...
Old 28 May 2003, 17:55 (Ref:612707)   #7
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'd have the original green XJR. I remember watching that (or a sister car) in 1985.
Old 28 May 2003, 18:51 (Ref:612753)   #8
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Right, better saving now, not sure, which one I want - there is a big two page in this months Motor Sport advertising the cars.
Old 28 May 2003, 19:41 (Ref:612815)   #9
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The whole auction is a testament to the management skills of Tom Walkinshaw...
Old 28 May 2003, 21:37 (Ref:612940)   #10
steve nielsen
Veteran

Netherlands
Rotterdam- Holland
steve nielsen should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, his financial skills!
Old 28 May 2003, 22:15 (Ref:612970)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by garcon
Hopefully most of those cars will go to a good home. Especially the Group C Jags. Aren't they just gorgeous? I can imagine a few thoroughbred and classic GT enthusiasts will be banging down the doors to get their hands on one of those babies...
I hope this too. With any luck they can be out there racing in the Group C championship.

Also I would love to race that Group A XJS. If anyone would like to campaign any of those cars, but particularly those Jags, I have some experience...

Old 28 May 2003, 22:15 (Ref:612971)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally posted by steve nielsen
Yeah, his financial skills!
I bet Tom knows what 400 x 400 means
Old 29 May 2003, 11:11 (Ref:613366)   #13
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just wish i had plenty of money.
Old 29 May 2003, 12:12 (Ref:613444)   #14
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Aysedasi
I'd have the original green XJR. I remember watching that (or a sister car) in 1985.
That or the half built Silk Cut XJR-12 nearer the bottom...

Quote:
Besides, I've always thought Armchair Enthusiast would be more at home in an antique furniture forum...

I'll have you know that this place is my favorite forum, even if most of the time it is as dead as a dodo
Old 29 May 2003, 15:46 (Ref:613758)   #15
Logrence
Veteran

Wales
Logrence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by AdamAshmore
I bet Tom knows what 400 x 400 means
Saucer of milk for the man in the Jag!
Old 29 May 2003, 16:00 (Ref:613783)   #16
Hobson
Veteran

England
Notts, UK
Hobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHobson should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I could get all the numbers on the Lottery for 4 weeks in a row, then that could be my collection!

[If only.........]
Old 29 May 2003, 18:35 (Ref:613942)   #17
kmchow
Veteran

kmchow should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It's sad to see TWR like this. Upon reflection, I thnk TWR wouldn't be in this mess if he stayed out of F1.
Old 29 May 2003, 18:54 (Ref:613958)   #18
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Just think, he could've been running a Jag LMP at Le Mans in a couple of weeks......
Old 29 May 2003, 19:38 (Ref:614028)   #19
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
pirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridpirenzo should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
we wish....
Old 29 May 2003, 21:27 (Ref:614121)   #20
flatlander_48
Racer

flatlander_48 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
What goes around comes around. It seems to me that TW sort of put the hustle on Jaguar and helped them make up their minds to drop Group 44 and hire TWR. That's my fuzzy memory. Does anybody else recall this?
Old 30 May 2003, 08:50 (Ref:614497)   #21
golem
Veteran

golem should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Oooh, RX7 Group 1... I'd like that. That and the RS3100. Nice cars. Surprised there's no Walkinshaw commodores? Ah well.
Gawky supermodels may look stunning in the right clothes, on the right catwalk, in the right city, but in an M&S jumper, on a crowded street, on a wet Wednesday afternoon, only classic good looks will catch the eye. - Ian Eveleigh.
Old 30 May 2003, 10:42 (Ref:614583)   #22
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I never liked TW, but it's a shame to see such a great collection being disbandoned, that's for sure.
Old 30 May 2003, 12:38 (Ref:614688)   #23
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Quote:
Originally posted by flatlander_48
What goes around comes around. It seems to me that TW sort of put the hustle on Jaguar and helped them make up their minds to drop Group 44 and hire TWR. That's my fuzzy memory. Does anybody else recall this?
I must admit I have no knowledge at all of the Group 44 situation. I didn't think, however (and correct me anyone if I'm wrong), that the Group 44 situation was a works-supported effort? Whereas, of course, TWR was. I never witnessed the Group 44 cars first-hand, and good looking though they were, the Silk Cat cars really were the bees knees.
Old 30 May 2003, 13:51 (Ref:614762)   #24
pirenzo
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
Group 44 weren't factory supported i don't think. Jaguar were keeping a close eye on their performance however, to evaluate whether it might be worth while having a works team.
Old 30 May 2003, 14:16 (Ref:614783)   #25
Nordic
Veteran

England
West Sussex
Nordic should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
One of the grp 44 jags was tested by TWR, but TWR never intended to run anthing but his own design, Grp 44 where running Jags & Trimphs in the US since the late 60's and the LM effort was a spin off from this private effort. little if any BL money ever went to Grp 44.
TWR started his BL program as I am sure you will recall with the Rovers, then moving to the newly demerged Jag a few years later with the fab XJS's racing the Volvo bricks and BMW's in the ETC.
I am sure if TWR had stuck with Touring Cars and sports cars then the company would still be around and I am also sure he would have been able talk Ford into either a ETC car or a sportscar.

Does anyone know what he is doing now, I am sure his personal money is safely tucked up somewhere and I doubt we have heard the last from him. Maybe he would like to run the Aston GT program.