Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 16 Jul 2004, 12:27 (Ref:1038092)   #1
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Jonny Apex should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BTCC Masters: first 7 names announced

Cleland, Gravett, Harvey, Menu, Plato, Radisich & Tarquini are all doing it. The story's on www.btcc.net ...

Donington Park on 26 September is going to be amazing!
Old 16 Jul 2004, 13:18 (Ref:1038139)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
This event is increasingly sounding like good news.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 13:34 (Ref:1038156)   #3
OVERSTEER
Veteran

England
Sheffield, England
OVERSTEER should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thompson and Muller won't be competing, because apparently competing for a charity of their choosing is too much bother, basically because it's not driving a Vauxhall, strange how Thommo finds a way to drive a Non Vauxhall (An Alfa) at Donington for the ETCC race!

Last edited by OVERSTEER; 16 Jul 2004 at 13:34.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 13:42 (Ref:1038164)   #4
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The official line from vauxhall is that if one of their drivers has won the title that day, they do not want them to end the day driving for another manufacturer.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 13:48 (Ref:1038166)   #5
mcurtis26
Veteran

mcurtis26 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I would expect rickard rydell to be announced soon as he is a seat contracted driver.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:37 (Ref:1038209)   #6
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by OVERSTEER
Thompson and Muller won't be competing, because apparently competing for a charity of their choosing is too much bother, basically because it's not driving a Vauxhall, strange how Thommo finds a way to drive a Non Vauxhall (An Alfa) at Donington for the ETCC race!
I don't think you can point the finger at Thompson for this, more Vauxhall who have blocked both their drivers from taking part. I would imagine secretly, inside that JT and YM are seething ...
Old 16 Jul 2004, 14:42 (Ref:1038219)   #7
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If I was Vauxhall, I'd have made the same decision.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 15:39 (Ref:1038272)   #8
Neil Adams
Veteran

United Kingdom
Essex
Neil Adams should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mullers already raced a seat
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:14 (Ref:1038301)   #9
Cryos
Veteran

MagnetON
Cryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridCryos should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its gona be great, what has cleland be upto since his btcc retirement? It will be tight racing, all drivers are extreamly competitive. And most if not all are still activly competing, so its going to be an big spectial.

Will this event be shown on tv (sorry i dont know much about it) ??

To keep the national IQ higher, we prevent links in the signatures. Its clearly in the notice, but that doesn't stop some people moaning about it..
Old 16 Jul 2004, 16:31 (Ref:1038314)   #10
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by btcc-thunder
mullers already raced a seat
And a KIA (Andros Trophy ice racing) and a Ford Falcon (Aussie V8 Supercars), but not at a BTCC meeting when they were already driving for Vauxhall.

Lets face it, either Muller or Thompson WILL be champion this year and given the way the points scoring has gone so far that will not be decided until at least the final race meeting and possibility not until the final race. How will it look to Vauxhall if 5 mins after being awarded the championship trophy their driver celebrates by driving for another manufacturer.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:22 (Ref:1038372)   #11
Carrie
Veteran

Carrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCarrie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I like that little list It's a shame that Thompson and Muller aren't racing, but you can understand the decision from Vauxhall's viewpoint.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 17:38 (Ref:1038387)   #12
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I believe Cleland had a shot at the British GT series, but that didn't go too well.

I think Thompson's Alfa run is a bit different...basically there's a better chance that the Masters Race is going to be the big press hitter when it happens, and if Thompson & Muller competed too, they wouldn't even earn their seperate mention for becoming the BTCC champion.

The Ford Falcon comparison for Muller is a little weird, the Triple Eight race team, which run VX Racing in the BTCC, & Team Betta in Aussie V8's, use a Vauxhall in the UK, and the Ford in Oz, despite the obvious GM/Holden/Vauxhall link.

Muller will also drive for Team Betta again at Bathurst in November.

Since the threads here...and we have some early contenders...anyone want to hedge an early bet as to who might win out of this bunch? My suspicious side says Plato might have an advantage...but assuming everything is done fairly, probably Menu IMHO.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 19:35 (Ref:1038502)   #13
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
It's got to be Plato..he knows the Leon well enough.

Not surprised but very pleased to see those names confirmed for the event..re Thommo & Muller I'm not too dissapointed as in essence this race is about all the "old boys"...whereas Thommo & Muller are still competing.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:11 (Ref:1038533)   #14
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Good line so far, I did read somewhere that Frank Biela said he would be taking part too.
Old 16 Jul 2004, 20:54 (Ref:1038570)   #15
touringcarnut
Veteran

India
Hyderabad, India
touringcarnut should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its going to be great to see these guys back in action, looks as if i'll have to get the tickets booked up!
Old 17 Jul 2004, 16:26 (Ref:1039059)   #16
daz90
Racer

England
England
daz90 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great stuff. Pity about Thomo and Muller not being there, but it's a race for the old boys and they are relatively new. Be nice to see some of the other 'old gaurd' competing too. Biela, Winkelhock, even some of the people who never won the title but came close.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 18:58 (Ref:1039144)   #17
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
There would have to be...Gow said it's aiming to be a 20 car grid, and in 15 years, there aren't 15 drivers even able to fill 3/4 of that - considering three of the champs certainly can't go, whether by the almighty's decree....or the fact they've passed on ()

I believe Matt Neal was an early mention...perhaps further independants winners or #2's can make an appearance: such as Leslie & Reid?
Old 17 Jul 2004, 18:59 (Ref:1039146)   #18
cory
Rookie

cory should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think that Plato will have a considerable advantage over all the other drivers as by driving the BTCC SEAT in the BTCC proper he could theoretically complete 48 racing laps as well as the additional testing, practice and qualifying at Donny before the old boyz race even starts. Yes he will be racing two different cars that day but all the btcc laps he completes will effectively be free practice laps for the heroes race which only he can partake in !! Advantage JP me thinks

Last edited by cory; 17 Jul 2004 at 19:05.
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:25 (Ref:1039164)   #19
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
On that point...I'd expect there would be some form of practice & qualifying for the Seat race? Without any laps in the Cupra's would be just mad! (Cleland might even be looking on the wrong side for the gearstick as he accelerates from the start!).

Also, couldn't think of any fair way of starting them...unless it's 1990 first going up, give the 'old boys' a starting advantage
Old 17 Jul 2004, 19:41 (Ref:1039175)   #20
redshoes
Veteran

redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!redshoes is going for a new world record!
The SEAT Toledo BTCC and Cupra Cup cars are very different things so no real advantage there, however I'm sure JP would have driven a Cupra Cup car at some point in the last year. Given the calibre of drivers there a few laps in the car 12 months ago is hardly going to make that much difference.

As I recall the plan is to have one free practice and one qualifying session.
Old 20 Jul 2004, 08:42 (Ref:1041006)   #21
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Any chance of Gerry Marshall, Andy Rouse, Frank Sytner or, dare i say it, Mike Smith getting a steer?

As mentioned just having the top drivers from 1990-onwards probably won't completely fill the grid (although, from my list above on Marshall didn't race after 1990).

Will be good to see, hoopefully we'll get some footage down here. (We're still waiting for the first BTCC round though, so could be a while )
Old 20 Jul 2004, 09:38 (Ref:1041039)   #22
Jonny Apex
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Hazard
There would have to be...Gow said it's aiming to be a 20 car grid, and in 15 years, there aren't 15 drivers even able to fill 3/4 of that - considering three of the champs certainly can't go, whether by the almighty's decree....or the fact they've passed on ()

I believe Matt Neal was an early mention...perhaps further independants winners or #2's can make an appearance: such as Leslie & Reid?
Just to be clear, it's an 18-car grid and not just for champions, but other star names of the Nineties, eg. Radisich who has been announced.

So, seven down, eleven to go. I doubt very much indeed that Mr Gow will have any trouble filling those seats. Reading between the lines, his reserve list - ie. drivers who have called him wanting to take part - could probably fill the grid three times over and more ...
Old 16 Aug 2004, 20:47 (Ref:1068584)   #23
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well 6 more names have been confirmed today, drum roll:- Jeff Allam, Julian Bailey, Frank Biela, Kelvin Burt, Frank Sytner and Patrick Watts.
Old 16 Aug 2004, 21:03 (Ref:1068610)   #24
Craig
Race Official
Veteran

Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!Craig has a real shot at the championship!
Kelvin Burt?!!! Hardly a master is he? :confused:
Old 16 Aug 2004, 21:15 (Ref:1068622)   #25
redshoes
Veteran

ditto Patrick Watts. Nice guy but hardly my first choice if we are talking about BTCC greats.

Where's Rouse, Neal, Ried, Aiello or Leslie?