Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Dec 2003, 01:57 (Ref:821594)   #1
Mags
Veteran

Mags should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Interview with Michael Valiante is up!

This good young racer has lots to say, even if he likes Schumacher...

www.rfmsports.com
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 28 Dec 2003, 19:59 (Ref:821946)   #2
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, he can't be perfect!

Thanks for another great interview!
Old 28 Dec 2003, 20:20 (Ref:821953)   #3
Mags
Veteran

I actually e mailed him about that, and told him he is the ONLY racer I've ever spoken to in my life that ever said that, and he better NEVER say it agin, if he wants to be taken seriously
"I have a tendency to let my mind wander a bit during some of the yellow flag conditions; I look around, check out people in the stands, things like that" Darren Law - Lizard Extrordinaire and he's gonna be GT Leader and Brumos Porsche driver!
Old 29 Dec 2003, 00:10 (Ref:822104)   #4
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Schumacher has a surprising number of fans in race car drivers... I think it's a respect thing.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Dec 2003, 00:13 (Ref:822105)   #5
Mags
Veteran

I've interviewed all the current ones, and not one has ever told me that. Name one! As a matter of a fact, we usually end up making fun of him. NO one respects a cheater.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 00:52 (Ref:822130)   #6
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

I'm NO FAN of Michael Shumacher & he probably has cheated at least a few times in the past, but speaking truthfully, most of his succsess that he has achieved over the years were the result of hard work and a God given talent. He is by far the best racing driver that has come along since we lost Ayrton Senna. Btw, how many drivers (what percent) do you feel have never knowingly cheated at some point in their career?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 01:03 (Ref:822135)   #7
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You've really got to kidding Mags!

Michael Schumacher is one of the greatest living driver's of his time, and will go down in history as one of the all-time greats, and any young open-wheel driver would do well having him as a role model! Where do you come off making light of Valiante or any other driver liking Schumacher? And you all sit around and make fun of him, yeah right!

Valiante doesn't have to worry about being taken seriously, but you do...

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Dec 2003, 01:06 (Ref:822138)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
In a bad mood, GP?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 01:10 (Ref:822139)   #9
Mags
Veteran

GOOD question. As one of my dearest friends (and a fierce racer) said to me "We ALL cheat.. it's the goods ones that never get caught!!"
And about Herr Schumacher. No one respects him, and it's a darn shame, because (and MY opinion IS paramount here... LOL) You are right. He is a HECK of a talent, and a great driver. He could have won without cheating. But he DID, and that is why I don't respect him. Gilles never cheated..and died because that moron team mate of his did. Senna, what a driver. I doubt we will ever get to see raw talent like that again.. except perhaps Mike Rockenfeller. Watch for that kid
Old 29 Dec 2003, 01:17 (Ref:822143)   #10
Mags
Veteran

GP dear, I now question your sanity. NO I am NOT Kidding!!
NO ONE respects a cheater. NO ONE. When you have that amount of God-Given talent, and choose to cheat to win, you just make a mockery of everything you have been handed. Look at every interview I have done. You see ANYONE else praise TGF? Senna, Senna, Senna. Gilles. Senna. To a driver in the years I've been doing this. They don't even mention Mario, of whom I have the highest regard.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 03:48 (Ref:822237)   #11
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Your efforts at self promotion are admirable Mags. In almost all of your posts you ask us to check out one of your interviews or pictures. You've dropped so many names, and told us how many people you know, that I'm in awe! I just hope that PT or Mario, or Bryan, you know, your good friends, don't get wind of it, they may not appreciate having there names thrown around by a cub reporter on a web site.

I thought that I read something about no advertising on the forum...

Sorry Dov, some people just get to you, you know?

Danica Patrick
Old 29 Dec 2003, 04:10 (Ref:822253)   #12
Mags
Veteran

Hum. I am NOT advertising, as I do NOT make MONEY from what I do.

You sound bitter buddy. I am just sharing interviews to get information out, dear.

YEP, I DO have lots of racing friends. And I have tons more that are NOT racers.. lots in the PR side, and the media end.. even have one that works for the ANTI racer, TG. And I post TONS in the Sportscars side as well, so la de da da. You read any of my interviews yet?? JUST curious.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 04:32 (Ref:822267)   #13
GTRMagic
Race Official
1% Club

Australia
Sell me this pen....
GTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGTRMagic will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I tend to agree with Mags about Ayrton Senna da Silva.

I thought while he was racing that Ayrton was somehow different, singly focused, able to drag things out of a car that was nowhere near right none of his contemporaries in most eras could manage. Speed out of a customer Cosworth powered McLaren. Able to go 2 seconds a lap faster than a McLaren test driver (Dr J. Palmer) on his first flyer in the same car that had been flogging about all day. Even in the race that brought his demise, Senna was punching above his weight, in a car that wasnt supposed to go that quick.

It was rare he had a teammate worth 2 bob to compare against, but in many ways it made sense. I wonder just how much better McLaren would have been without having Prost right along side Senna....

TGF is a worthy champion too, I just think he doesnt have the public image that Senna had... nor the 10 years since the racing stopped to allow the legend to be created...
#CANCERSUCKS
Old 29 Dec 2003, 05:08 (Ref:822291)   #14
Mags
Veteran

It is like comparing Gretzsky to Richard... you just can't do it.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 05:31 (Ref:822306)   #15
carsten66
Veteran

Germany
Heidelberg, Germany
carsten66 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shure... M. Schumacher is one of the best drivers in F1 – but he never will have the personality of a man like Senna... Schumacher is something like a Dagobert Duck of F1...
Old 29 Dec 2003, 05:46 (Ref:822314)   #16
corkholio
Veteran

corkholio should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Mags
I've interviewed all the current ones, and not one has ever told me that. Name one! As a matter of a fact, we usually end up making fun of him. NO one respects a cheater.
You would be dead wrong about that.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 05:51 (Ref:822316)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Weren't we supposed to be discussing Michael Valiante?
Old 29 Dec 2003, 05:54 (Ref:822320)   #18
Mags
Veteran

""Originally posted by Mags
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You would be dead wrong about that.""

Name One!! Copy and paste an interview ANYWHERE a driver says TGF is his idol.. besides RB!! I've yet to meet him.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 06:04 (Ref:822323)   #19
corkholio
Veteran

One of the Atlantics drivers from this year told me in person (not by email) that in fact he is a Michael Schumacher fan. Since you are such a professional with such great connections I will let you figure it out for yourself.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 06:08 (Ref:822325)   #20
Mags
Veteran

Do Not Be Coy. Share! Almediger? That wouldn't suprise me, as they have a simular driving style.
Old 29 Dec 2003, 06:16 (Ref:822328)   #21
corkholio
Veteran

It's not AJ.

Looks like you have to stop taking RHR seriosuly too. http://www.ryanracing.com/Html/RHReay.php

Sidenote - look at the 2003 part of "Career Highlights".
Old 29 Dec 2003, 06:22 (Ref:822330)   #22
Mags
Veteran

Oh LORD, don't get me started on HIM... been with him since his BD days... thanks to his engineers wife! The always lovely Katie!!
Old 29 Dec 2003, 06:34 (Ref:822337)   #23
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Mags, though it's not a question I usually ask during interviews, Ryan Hunter-Reay did mention he had a great respect for M. Schumacher. If you doubt me, you can email him yourself - his email address is on his website.

I don't alway agree with Michael Schumacher's on track tactics, and I don't consider myself a fan, but it's hard to deny that he is one of hte best F1 drivers we've seen in the last 10 years (I think it's stupid to compare between decades). He proved himself before F1 cars became robots as well - allowing the likes of Jensen Button and Kimi Raikkonen to be instantly competitive. I think many drivers likely feel the same the way about thim.

Back on topic to Michael Valiante... he's a great guy, I was lucky to interview him earlier this year as well- a talented driver (though I think Dalziel might be a hair quicker) and would be an asset to the series. That said, he's not rich (at least in racing terms) and will not be in CART next year unless he has some sponsorship to back him. He does seem to be well connected though, so I do hold out some hope. Sadly, if he doesn't make it this year, I fear he'll be another Lee Bentham or David Rutledge.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Dec 2003, 06:38 (Ref:822339)   #24
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
oops...cork beat me to it! Mags, is she his (ASTJ and formerly Hylton's) PR person as well? Nice lady...
Old 29 Dec 2003, 06:46 (Ref:822345)   #25
Mags
Veteran

Katie: yeppers. Hypen-Boy .. BLAH.