Canada
Toronto, Canada
Dov should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael Valiante article....

Ben Kuzma
The Province
February 5, 2004

First came the California wild fires.

Then came Championship Auto Racing Teams bankruptcy and formation of the Open Wheel Racing Series, which has salvaged Champ Car racing.

And now comes speculation that Burnaby driver Michael Valiante, who dominated a two-day track test session at Sebring, Fla. last December, may be without an OWRS ride this season if team owner Derrick Walker secures Indy Racing League sponsorship and bolts to the rival series.

Valiante could wind up running the family's karting business instead of running against racing greats.

"This is really difficult, but to be honest, it's been really difficult every step of my career," Valiante, 24, said Wednesday amid news that Walker has been selling off his Reynard chassis and buying Lolas. "It's frustrating but at the same time I'm so close right now and I'm just trying to stay focused and prepare when that opportunity comes."

Valiante was to make his CART debut for Walker Racing on Nov. 2, but raging wild fires cancelled the 2003 season finale on the Fontana oval.

Then, when CART morphed into the OWRS after being saved in a bankruptcy court decision last week, Valiante hoped that by topping German star Timo Glock, NTN Bearings driver Jonathan Macri and 2003 Toyota Atlantic championship runner-up Ryan Dalziel at Sebring, his racing stock would be an easier sell for Walker, who'd like to field at least two OWRS cars this season.

"I don't want to make myself sound better than I was, or am, but he [Walker] was impressed with how fast I went in the test and I exceeded their expectations," said Valiante, who placed third in 2003 Toyota Atlantic series standings.

"But sponsors have been questioning the [OWRS] series and its fate. Basically, the hunt for sponsorship officially started last week and I don't expect to know anything until at least the middle of the month."

A spokesperson for Walker Racing said an OWRS program is still a priority but admitted there's not much to pitch potential sponsors because the schedule is still tentative, as are TV commitments.

"IRL is not any easier to sell to a potential sponsor but at least we know what markets we can race in," said the spokesperson. "We are trying to go where we can generate the sponsorship and stay on the track -- CART or IRL."

The OWRS was dealt another blow Tuesday when Pat Patrick, who founded CART in 1978 with Roger Penske, said he'll leave for the IRL if sponsorship can be secured. And he already has enough funding to make the move.

"I just think CART has been completely mishandled," said Patrick.

Valiante isn't sold on the IRL, even if that proves an option this season with Walker. And he isn't interested in returning to Toyota Atlantic where he spent the past 2 1/2 years honing his skills.

"It's time to move on," said Valiante. "CART's formula is much better than the IRL, especially with safety.

"With the IRL, if you look at how many drivers were hurt last year, it's pretty horrendous. But CART has to get on its feet and get its act together and prove they're a better product -- even though we all know that they are."
Old 6 Feb 2004, 20:07 (Ref:865760)   #2
racinthestreets
Racer

racinthestreets should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It is going to be a difficult week for racing fans like most of us. It will be pure agony for the racers that are usure of their immediate future like Michael. Many, like Jimm Vasser are working diligently to secure something. PG and KK could help out by announcing how many car(s) they are going to field. It is assumed that both will have at least two car(s) but I am not aware of any announcements to that end. The weeks leading to the court auction were gut wrenching, and now waiting until Feb 12 for some concrete news is getting frustrating. OWRS needs to release something besides rule changes and defecting teams prior to that date IMO.
Old 6 Feb 2004, 22:02 (Ref:865838)   #3
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I agree with that -- and if Walker is selling his Reynards and buying Lolas, what on earth would he do with them in Another League?

I like the way drivers are beginning to be honest about how unsafe it is to race in Another Series. Perhaps they will do something about it eventually that way.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 01:53 (Ref:866005)   #4
racinthestreets
Racer

I agree with that -- and if Walker is selling his Reynards and buying Lolas, what on earth would he do with them in Another League?

Obviously I am new to this. Please explain why you pre fer to call the IRL another league. I am not so sure about Walker, Patrick made statements about his feelings concerning CART - I am not sure that can be attributed to OWRS could be some animosity on Patrick's part regarding PG! If I see this correctly, your are correct - Lola's are not in "Another League"! My assumption is that Mr. Walker is not going to waste any more time on Reynard.

Last edited by racinthestreets; 7 Feb 2004 at 01:54.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 03:25 (Ref:866055)   #5
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by racinthestreets

Obviously I am new to this. Please explain why you pre fer to call the IRL another league. I am not so sure about Walker, Patrick made statements about his feelings concerning CART - I am not sure that can be attributed to OWRS could be some animosity on Patrick's part regarding PG! If I see this correctly, your are correct - Lola's are not in "Another League"! My assumption is that Mr. Walker is not going to waste any more time on Reynard.
Well Liz didn't mention the IRL, so I guess it is just you assuming that another league refers to the IRL, when really another league, refers to any other series that is not OWRS. And you are correct in assuming, that the Lola Champcar chassis is only to be used in OWRS.
Old 7 Feb 2004, 09:39 (Ref:866218)   #6
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Dov,
looks like you haven't noticed that the quotes in that article are from last year... lots of things have happened since then... Walker is getting Lolas and will field a two-car team: Michael Valiante and Jonathan Macri or Ryan Dalziel will be the drivers... don't worry about Walker's sponsorship woes, let him do that - he happens to be very good at achieving his goals, have full trust in Walker ?!

zerO
Old 7 Feb 2004, 16:15 (Ref:866419)   #7
racinthestreets
Racer

zero,

Do you have any qualified source for your Walker information? I trust, as you do that Walker will be in the CCWS. Two cars? How about bringing back some old blood with strong sponsorship - Hero Matsu****a with PANASONIC - wasn't that grandpa's $$$?
Old 7 Feb 2004, 17:17 (Ref:866455)   #8
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
Hey zerO,
With all do-respect, your source(s) are not always 100% correct...are they!? At one time you were saying that the races in South Korea and South Africa were a go for the 2004 season, then you said they were off and now there back on again....well it looks like the SA race in Durban is, but the race in Seoul will be decided within a few days. I know that Walker is getting Lolas, but sponsorship(s) is still a hard thing to come buy in the CCWS. That being said, I've always appreciated your input and I hope your right regarding Walker Racing!

Old 7 Feb 2004, 21:24 (Ref:866610)   #9
zerO
Veteran

zerO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hey Dov,
don't get nit-picky now... you know very well that "one day she has a headache and the next she doesn't" - same thing happens in the rumors dept. ie: situation changes... as for the Walker thingy - I've been in touch with them (through e-mail) and I'm pretty confident that Derrck Walker will pull-off a two-car team this year... and as far as Seoul and Durban are concerned - Seoul is much more likely than Durban for this year: OWRS already cashed the $5mil check from Seoul ?!... but, we will not know the nitty-gritty until the time comes... have a feeling that both races are a little late for them to happen this year - that's why I've said earlier that we will see them next year, but you just never know...

zerO
Old 10 Feb 2004, 01:10 (Ref:868981)   #10
Mike.ca
Racer

Mike.ca should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can understand Valiente's reluctance to return to Atlantic. With his experience anything other than domination would seem like failure. On the other hand, I worry about his takng a year off to "work on a deal" if he doesn't get an OWRS ride. Does that strategy ever work? Major league teamowners are always looking at the most recent winners. Remember what happened to David Rutledge? His first year after Atlantic, he was supposed to do some late season CART races. Nothing. Then another year off. Then he had a deal for the Canadian races. That didn't happen. Then his website disappeared. I assume he's out of racing now. I'd hate to see that happen with Valiente. The lesson is that, whatever you do, you've got to keep racing - somewhere.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 12:57 (Ref:870614)   #11
D.R.T.
Veteran

D.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridD.R.T. should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Valiante would be a great attribute to the series and I hope we get to see him in Lola this coming season
Old 11 Feb 2004, 15:53 (Ref:870816)   #12
Mike.ca
Racer

Someone on another forum site wrote to Michael Valiente's website to ask about his plans for next year. This is the reply he received:

...Michael is working on trying to move up to CART, but the opportunities seem to be coming from the IRL side at the moment. He's stated that he's not interested in racing in the IRL, so that pretty much leaves him pretty much twisting in the wind...

Not good. I'd rather see him in the IRL than not racing at all. I don't think he can afford to miss a year of racing. I suppose that the ALMS might be a possibility - if he can get a competitive rideat this point. I don't know though - has anyone ever gone from the ALMS to CART?
Old 11 Feb 2004, 17:11 (Ref:870892)   #13
jjspierx
Veteran

United States
Oregon, USA
jjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridjjspierx should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yeah, but it is worth it to see him race for a year, only to have him be injured or worse and no longer be able to race in ANY series? The IRL is trying all it can do get as many drivers, sponsors and tracks from OWRS as possible. There willing to pay a lot of money because they believe that in the end it will pay off when there is no longer a Champcar series to compete with them. Well thats not going to happen so they should just save their money.

Last edited by jjspierx; 11 Feb 2004 at 17:12.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 17:28 (Ref:870920)   #14
Mike.ca
Racer

Yeah, I know what the IRL is doing, but getting back to Michael Valiente...
I don't know if racing in the IRL necessarily means serious injury, although it's obvious that a series that races mainly on street circuits is likely to see fewer serious injuries than one that runs mainly on high speed ovals.
The basic questions are whether Valiente can afford to miss a year of racing, whether an ALMS ride is a good choice for a driver who wants to progress in single seaters, and what other options Valiente could pursue.
Old 11 Feb 2004, 18:22 (Ref:870976)   #15
Dov
Veteran

Canada
Toronto, Canada
If things don't work out for him this year regarding CC's, maybe he can do a Townsend Bell and go F3000 racing.....
Old 11 Feb 2004, 19:10 (Ref:871036)   #16
Mike.ca
Racer

Funny you should mention that. I've read that Canadian Atlantic owner/driver Eric Jensen has done a deal with an F3000 team for a joint entry at Spa and Monaco. I don't know which F3000 team it is - one would hope that it has a better track record than Jensen's Atlantic team. Valiente would have to get some decent results to keep his career momentum going (especially if he won't be doing much else this year), but it's worth considering. Of course, he'd have to bring sponsorship...