Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:33 (Ref:1234604)   #1
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Heidfeld causing ripples at Williams?

http://www.autosport.com/pc_subscrib...=42108&s=5&p=1

Could someone cast some light on this frustratingly oblique snippet from autosport.com?
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:45 (Ref:1234612)   #2
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Patrick Head is praising his technical ability - saying he picked up an engine management issue which immediately improved their laptimes - and neither JPM nor Ralf had ever found it in the past two years.

Patrick is delighted with him.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 16:48 (Ref:1234614)   #3
Super Tourer
Subscriber
Veteran

United Kingdom
East Anglia
Super Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuper Tourer should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
www.autosport.com

Williams' former technical director Patrick Head has revealed that Heidfeld wasted little time in telling the team's technical partner BMW about ways to improve the running of its engine – and that a breakthrough was found that neither Juan Pablo Montoya or Ralf Schumacher had ever picked up.

Speaking to journalists about the factors which helped Heidfeld clinch the second Williams seat over test driver Antonio Pizzonia, Head said: “It wasn't just his speed, but the good way he managed himself and all the engineers – particularly the BMW engineers.

“He was actually able to point out some things with the engine management that, when they were changed, immediately gave lap time. We had been carrying these things on the car, in the way the engine was managed, for two years without anyone pointing it out.”
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:16 (Ref:1234634)   #4
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well done Nick. It seems like Williams need all the help they can get, and it says a lot that he could spot something so significant so quickly. Hopefully he will have a really successful season and prove himself.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:17 (Ref:1234635)   #5
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Impressive, Good start Nick.
Lets hope that this is remembered by the team if Nick has an off day.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:19 (Ref:1234639)   #6
BSchneiderFan
Veteran

United Kingdom
London, UK
BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!BSchneiderFan is going for a new lap record!
Reminds me of a story about Thierry Boutsen when he was driving in sportscars (can't remember when), and he picked up a timing problem with the turbos which had eluded the engineers until then.

Justifies my faith in Heidfeld as well. Increasingly, I'll stick my neck out and say he'll finish the year ahead of Webber in the points.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:25 (Ref:1234648)   #7
Draven
Racer

Ireland
Ireland
Draven should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'll be putting money on Heidfeld finnishing ahead of webber. And I'm stingy, so I must be confident!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 17:31 (Ref:1234656)   #8
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Although, of course, this improvement has helped Webber too!

That is a great little story. Things like that are what makes the difference to teams. A change around can be good for everyone as we have seen with most this off-season.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:04 (Ref:1234693)   #9
GP Racer
Veteran

United States
"The Big Apple"
GP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridGP Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm not surprised.

I don't think anyone ever thought that either Ralf or JPM were good set-up drivers, or even gave much thought about technical matter's.

Danica Patrick
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:06 (Ref:1234696)   #10
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Not sure about that, GP Racer, last year Williams often praised Ralf's technical ability.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:11 (Ref:1234701)   #11
429CJ
Veteran

Finland
Otaku World
429CJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Heidy is a good test driver, problems start, when there's bunch of other cars around him.

-Jamie Hyneman
Old 24 Feb 2005, 18:21 (Ref:1234719)   #12
Kicking-back
Veteran

What problems?

He's been a strong racer throughout his career.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 20:19 (Ref:1234921)   #13
Formula Juan
Racer

Formula Juan has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I can't see Heidfeld doing much at Williams. He hasen't achieved much so far in his career...so he beat a rookie with less than 20 single seater GP's experience back in 2001...so what? It would have been bad if he haden't. I might be wrong but I'm not expecting too much from him.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 20:30 (Ref:1234942)   #14
maximus
Veteran

United Kingdom
Yorkshire
maximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmaximus should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Has he ever had the car to really show off his skill? Don't write him off just yet.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 20:57 (Ref:1234967)   #15
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula Juan
I can't see Heidfeld doing much at Williams. He hasen't achieved much so far in his career...so he beat a rookie with less than 20 single seater GP's experience back in 2001...so what? It would have been bad if he haden't. I might be wrong but I'm not expecting too much from him.
Well he has better than Juan in F3000 and would have won it in his first year if there hadnt been the fuel prob at the last race
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:26 (Ref:1235008)   #16
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Heidfeld only had 1 season of F1 experience (in one of the worst cars of modern times) when he faced Kimi, so it was hardly a certainty that he would win, especially as Kimi proved to be so good. On top of that, he matched and often beat Alesi at Prost, demolished Massa in 2002, matched Frentzen in 2003 and demolished Pantano last season, and he's pretty much the only driver to challenge for the F3000 title as a rookie.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:39 (Ref:1235028)   #17
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
Well he has better than Juan in F3000 and would have won it in his first year if there hadnt been the fuel prob at the last race
I don't think that is likely. He had al on to beat Montoya in the last race even without that IIRC.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BootsOntheSide
Heidfeld only had 1 season of F1 experience (in one of the worst cars of modern times) when he faced Kimi, so it was hardly a certainty that he would win, especially as Kimi proved to be so good.
When Kimi was with Heidfeld at Sauber Nick was vastly more experienced, not only in F1 races, F1 miles, but also anything remotely comparable. However I wouldn't right Heidfeld off in that year, he did well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formula Juan
On the other side to say Nick hasn't acheived anything misses much I think. you could say the same about Webber with little or no change in thinking. He is a good choice and, remember, Williams chose him and are keep saying positive things about him.

Last edited by Adam43; 24 Feb 2005 at 21:41.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:43 (Ref:1235036)   #18
Formula Juan
Racer

Quote:
matched Frentzen in 2003
No he didn't!! He was slaughtered by HHF!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1235043)   #19
Don K
Veteran

Don K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Heidfeld ... and he's pretty much the only driver to challenge for the F3000 title as a rookie.
I think Montoya also challenged for the F3000 title as a rookie.
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:50 (Ref:1235044)   #20
Kicking-back
Veteran

No, he wasn't - they we're evenly matched.

Go and check the lap times!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 21:54 (Ref:1235049)   #21
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
He's got a point..

11th Frentzen 13 points (1 x 6th, 1 x 5th and 1 x 3rd)
14th Heidfeld 6 points (2 x 8th and 1 x 5th)

Conclusion: Nick was pwned!

BTW, laptimes don't mean anything, it's the points that really matter!
Old 24 Feb 2005, 22:00 (Ref:1235058)   #22
Formula Juan
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ASCII Man
He's got a point..

11th Frentzen 13 points (1 x 6th, 1 x 5th and 1 x 3rd)
14th Heidfeld 6 points (2 x 8th and 1 x 5th)

Conclusion: Nick was pwned!

BTW, laptimes don't mean anything, it's the points that really matter!
Spot on bro
Old 24 Feb 2005, 22:11 (Ref:1235072)   #23
raul_iulian
Racer

Romania
Arad, Romania
raul_iulian has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Impressive, Good start Nick.
AND he'll finish the year ahead of Webber in the points.
Although, this improvement has helped Webber too!
Hope to see him win.... THX
Old 24 Feb 2005, 22:14 (Ref:1235077)   #24
DKGandBH
Veteran

DKGandBH has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus
Has he ever had the car to really show off his skill? Don't write him off just yet.
You don't need good a car to show off your skills. In fact, I think the reverse is quite true...

If you can make a bad car (Minardi) perform above where it belongs, then this displays true talent just as much as winning in a good car does.

Talent does not come from the car.

DKGandBH
Old 24 Feb 2005, 23:07 (Ref:1235138)   #25
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
yes Mr BMW I think it best if we Do Connect the tenth spark plug lead.

nick your a genious

well done I hope it really improves things for williams

Last edited by marcus; 24 Feb 2005 at 23:08.