Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 29 Sep 2002, 02:15 (Ref:390843)   #1
DNQ
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Australia
DNQ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario Recommends CART

Just thought I'd inject some more positive thoughts into the CART forum - sorry if this has already been potsed.

Mario Andretti, 1978 WDC and Racing Legend had this to say to Motorsport News on the CART versus IRL war...

Quote:
"I think it is interesting to see what is happening to the series (CART). The fact that two manufacturers, Honda and Toyota, have defected to the IRL is a loss for CART. But I still think that the CART series has so much to offer in terms of diversity and the venues they go to especially Australia. It's a spectacular show. That will ultimatly prevail.

"The IRL series, in my opinion, is totally 'blah'. Some of the ovals they go to are just flat all the way around; you bolt out of (turn) four and steer and it's kind of a joke, actually. So I have no desire to be any part of that, quite honestly. There is no technical value and I just prefer road racing, anyway. I like ovals but there has to be road racing in there. An all oval series will never do for me."
I agree with basically everything he says. IRL is like NASCAR - maybe it's exciting, but in reality, it's not a true racing series. It's a show. CART is the real racing series. I hope CART pulls through
Old 29 Sep 2002, 02:56 (Ref:390850)   #2
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always liked Mario. There is no doubt that he is a true racer. He has been one of the best ambassadors of the series and, with his appointment to the board, a stake in it's future. I've still got to wonder what he thinks of Mickey going to the IRL.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 03:46 (Ref:390856)   #3
Russfeld
Veteran

Russfeld should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Didnt Mario race in CART when it was all oval with no problems?
Old 29 Sep 2002, 04:34 (Ref:390865)   #4
Lee Janotta
Veteran

Lee Janotta should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hasn't been all-ovals for a _long_ time... USAC always had races at the Glen and Riverside.

And at the same time Mario was doing sports cars and smaller open-wheel cars, and occaisonally heading across the pond for a half-hearted attempt at F1. Drivers today, for whatever reason, rarely bother to do races outside of their normal ride for the season. This is one trend I really have to applaud NASCAR drivers for bucking.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 05:47 (Ref:390872)   #5
Russfeld
Veteran

Im not sure they have time. F1 drivers have 17 races a year so thats 68 days gone right there, plus another 40 days of testing, plus probably a good 20 days of PR. Wurz said last year he was boarding a plane on average every 35 hours. Whatever free time they have, im not surprised if they're crashed out on the couch.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 07:02 (Ref:390898)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Mario will know what he's talking about when he talks about real racing, as he's done it all.

Mario is a fantastic ambassador for CART and motor racing in general and I'll hold his opinion above any of the so-called experts who have never even raced.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 12:11 (Ref:391041)   #7
muggle not
Veteran

United States
North Carolina, U.S.
muggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmuggle not should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Nascar drivers run 36 races a year and some like Tony Stewart still find time to do a ton of other racing. Tony does it because he loves racing.

Mario has done it all and it is because of his love of racing that he did everything.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 12:14 (Ref:391047)   #8
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario, as has been said, wants to test himself in every possible forum. He has nothing to prove to anybody, and he has never been one to hide his light under a bushel basket either.

I always take great notice of the words of someone who has actually experienced what he is talking about.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 15:18 (Ref:391178)   #9
Testure
Veteran

Testure should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Re: Mario Recommends CART

Quote:
Originally posted by DNQ
"An all oval series will never do for me."
So what happens when the IRL adds 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 road races over the next few years??? Just a thought...
Old 29 Sep 2002, 15:26 (Ref:391189)   #10
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
That would prove that Tony George is a complete liar. He's already proven to be a liar concerning what the IRL stands for - the competition is being dominated by foreigners (the only American able to mix it is the champ, Hornish), the engines next year will be mostly Japanese (that is, foreign) and Chevy will probably be overwhelmed and eventually pull out, and the original concept of the series was supposed to be all-ovals.

Add this to the fact that the IRL is going overseas next year, and the IRL is turning more and more into CART Mark II.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 15:29 (Ref:391194)   #11
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Cart w/ crapwagons.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 29 Sep 2002, 16:32 (Ref:391223)   #12
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I know it doesn't belong here, but I didn't want to start a new thread just for this...

Just read an article at IndyStar.com that read,
"Pook also said CART will keep Jimmy Vasser and develop 28-year-old Spaniard Oriol Servia."

...So even if he doesn't stay at Rahal, it sounds as if Jimmy will still have a seat somewhere. Great to hear.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 16:47 (Ref:391231)   #13
Russfeld
Veteran

Tony never really 'lied' The Vision was PR to begin with, it was never the reasons the split happened or the IRL was founded.

muggle mot yeah but Cup doesnt test anywhere near as much as F1, and Tony's the exception rather than the rule (also the occasional Ken Schrader appearance)
Old 29 Sep 2002, 17:03 (Ref:391238)   #14
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
The Vision was a lie, therefore Tony George is a liar. Obviously you have a different definition of what a lie/liar is.
Old 29 Sep 2002, 17:26 (Ref:391250)   #15
Russfeld
Veteran

well you act like its a lie now because things changed. It was allways a lie. It was just a power play and The Vision was a press release. Its no different imo than the rest of BS PR statements that are issued. Though granted the effects of this one were huge.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 01:29 (Ref:391680)   #16
Crash Test
Veteran

Australia
Melbourne, Australia
Crash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridCrash Test should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I wouldn't think it would be Mario's place to knock CART, since after all, he is on their board of directors
Old 30 Sep 2002, 06:36 (Ref:391818)   #17
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
He's on their board of directors because he won't knock CART.
Not for nobody's money.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 07:23 (Ref:391872)   #18
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And he has only just been appointed to the Board of Directors. Not because CART are desperate to hang on to him, but because he wants to be there.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 12:01 (Ref:392100)   #19
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I wouldn't say that TG lied, it's just that the objectives over the years have changed, he has found more road race orientated teams and drivers entering and wants to accommodate them. When/If CART drop ovals completely does that make them liars also because they once said they had the most diverse series that tested multiple disciplines?

Mario's on the BOD's because he wants to help, and is trying to show his support, similiarly by trying to set up a team
Old 30 Sep 2002, 13:20 (Ref:392173)   #20
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well, I guess the truth on TG lies somewhere in between, depending on one thing: has he changed his Mission Statement? Or does he still maintain that he is an All American all oval series devoted to giving American drivers preference over "furriners" and "ferrin engine and car manufacturers"? If so, he's a liar.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 14:12 (Ref:392220)   #21
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
TG made a lot of wrong turns in developing his series and I won't be surprised when all this comes back to bite him in the arse.

If I were Chevy and I was part responsible for helping build TG's series, then Honda and Toyota are welcomed in with great fanfare and I'm left sitting on the sideline, I'd pull the knife out of my back and start re-sharpening the blade. Nissan already felt the heat from the flame and backed out before they could get too severely burned.

TG has shown little care for anyone besides himself. To Honda, Toyota and all the defectors: Watch out for yourselves.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 15:39 (Ref:392281)   #22
Russfeld
Veteran

Quote:
Originally posted by Liz
Well, I guess the truth on TG lies somewhere in between, depending on one thing: has he changed his Mission Statement? Or does he still maintain that he is an All American all oval series devoted to giving American drivers preference over "furriners" and "ferrin engine and car manufacturers"? If so, he's a liar.
Well it'd be your mistake for beleiving the mission statement to begin with.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 17:25 (Ref:392392)   #23
paul-collins
Veteran

Canada
Mosport on a good day
paul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridpaul-collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Russfeld
Well it'd be your mistake for beleiving the mission statement to begin with.
... because we should assume that whatever issues from Tony's mouth is BS.

Right?
... Since all men live in darkness, who believes something is not a test of whether it is true or false. I have spent years trying to get people to ask simple questions: What is the evidence, and what does it mean?

-Bill James
Old 30 Sep 2002, 18:08 (Ref:392429)   #24
Russfeld
Veteran

not Tony, but really anyone in racing. Dont just accept it as the gospel, the entire sport is built on perception vs reality.
Old 30 Sep 2002, 19:10 (Ref:392473)   #25
Liz
Veteran

Um, that doesn't actually make any sense at all.