Old 22 Oct 2002, 18:44 (Ref:410426)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Mario offers Michael opportunity to stay in CART

From Champweb.net:

2002-10-22
Mario offers Michael opportunity to stay in CART
Champweb.net has learned that, Mario Andretti has offered his son, Michael Andretti, the opportunity to stay in CART with one car next year and two cars in 2004. Mario will gaurantee Michael one ESP this year and two for next year. Mario would then run the team, with Michael as teh driver.

The details of the offer are that Michael can only run Indy next year himself as a driver and can only run two cars in the IRL except at Indy.

Michael will either drive the car in CART himself or Dario will drive (Mario will not accept anyone else). Mario will provide sponsorship and Michael has until Fontana to decide.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 19:07 (Ref:410448)   #2
Neil C
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

United Nations
People's Republic of Ann Arbor, Michigan
Neil C should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Michael, listen to your daddy.
Old 22 Oct 2002, 19:54 (Ref:410491)   #3
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Champweb is about as reliable as a british tabloid, but I hope they're right on this one...

Even then, how much longer would Michael be driving?
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 22 Oct 2002, 19:57 (Ref:410497)   #4
Tiresmoke
Racer

Tiresmoke should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Kool, you're welcome to play in CART... Motorola are you sure you want to race in front of 15K people in Kansas?
Old 23 Oct 2002, 03:55 (Ref:410882)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
This sounds like Mario has been asyet unable to field a team of his own. Says he'll run Michael's team if he stays. But then it goes on to state that Mario will find the sponsorship, so what gives? He doesn't need Michael. Maybe if the boy declines, Mario will form a team anyway and get another driver. Perhaps he's just giving his son first dibs. Or maybe Mario sees a bright light on the horizon (Bernie) and is looking out for his kid's best interests.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 04:55 (Ref:410892)   #6
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm struggling with this one. As much as I'd like to, I just can't bring myself to beleive it.

Last edited by Flatspot; 23 Oct 2002 at 04:58.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 04:57 (Ref:410894)   #7
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Bizarre indeed. Damn, and just when I thought we were rid of Micky too.....
Old 23 Oct 2002, 05:51 (Ref:410927)   #8
camcartfan
Racer

United States
Temeku
camcartfan should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm with FlatSpot on this one.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 06:18 (Ref:410938)   #9
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Perhaps this thread should be renamed,
"Mario offers Michael opportunity to stay in good graces"
Old 23 Oct 2002, 07:46 (Ref:410967)   #10
The Snout
Veteran

Australia
The Snout should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Considering the dosh Honda have already put in, I wouldn't have thought Mario would be in a position to offer anything to Michael.
Hard to believe this one.

Last edited by The Snout; 23 Oct 2002 at 07:47.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 11:14 (Ref:411092)   #11
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think macdaddy has got it. Mikey has denied that Honda is giving him Big Buckolas, and obviously he has no big sponsorship ... perhaps the little has bitten off more than he can chew, and maybe even Daddy was upset at seeing how the fans are reacting to his son's deserting and doesn't want to see the family name trashed in public.

Perhaps this is a public expression of a way to save face -- or it could be one more way to force Mikey to confess that this is his own choice and he will stand or fail on his own.

I wish Mario and Emmo would team up and field a couple of cars. I wish they'd do a demonstration run in them when they did.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 12:43 (Ref:411198)   #12
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can't see it happening, wasn't the point the whole thing happened was so Michael could own and run a team. Going by what the article says, he would pretty much just be a hired driver.
Old 23 Oct 2002, 13:06 (Ref:411223)   #13
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
OR .. maybe it could be that Mario never said any of it and people in the Mikey Camp made it up hoping Dad will give him a call ...