Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 25 Sep 2002, 22:20 (Ref:388467)   #1
MolsonBoy
Racer

MolsonBoy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
da Matta signed with Toyota F1

I read on a another forum that French tv said the da Matta has signed with ToyotaF 1 and a announcement will be made at the USGP.

http://www.themotorsportsforum.com/m...threadid=11826

Last edited by MolsonBoy; 25 Sep 2002 at 22:21.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 22:25 (Ref:388471)   #2
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yes, here it is: http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/...to334589.shtml

But, the are the only ones who have reported that the deal is done. More recently the major players have said the deal is not done yet, even if they are close.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 25 Sep 2002, 22:50 (Ref:388490)   #3
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
I've pretty much bet the farm already that Cristiano is F1-bound for 2003. And that was really going out on a limb, because I don't even have a farm to bet!

I'll take it as 100% when I see it more widely reported, but for now I'm believing it.

Thanks for the great racing, Cristiano! You have been wonderful to watch, and I truly wish you all the best with your future. A cleaner racer I cannot think of, and you certainly deserve this chance.
Old 25 Sep 2002, 22:51 (Ref:388492)   #4
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Gonna be kinda ironic, though. Rooting for Cristiano, yet rooting against Toyota.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 06:45 (Ref:388629)   #5
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I,ve gotta say my lasting memory of Da Matta was when he braked too late at Mid Ohio chasing Carpentier and disapeared over the edge of the corner into the gravel, and then Pat laughing about it after the race
Old 26 Sep 2002, 07:39 (Ref:388638)   #6
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
At least CART can then say 'And how many F1 drivers has the Invisible League produced?'
Old 26 Sep 2002, 14:49 (Ref:388879)   #7
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
well, i hope da Matta has a lot of fun going around single-file in F1 "races". going from a great, entairtaining series like CART and then off to F1 is the ultimate sellout move IMHO
Old 26 Sep 2002, 14:59 (Ref:388889)   #8
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by f1manoz
At least CART can then say 'And how many F1 drivers has the Invisible League produced?'
why would they want to be F1 drivers?
Old 26 Sep 2002, 15:51 (Ref:388915)   #9
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Flatspot should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Based on recent developments in the open wheel world it's really quite evident that they would all like to be F1 drivers becuase that's where the real money is.

Do you seriously think that any one of the IRL drivers see the IRL as the pinnacle of motorsport?
Old 26 Sep 2002, 15:53 (Ref:388916)   #10
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
well, its got everthing racing should be. i think it could be the pinnicle one day, but its a while off yet.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 15:58 (Ref:388918)   #11
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
Down Force, I respectfully disagree.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 16:06 (Ref:388923)   #12
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
i respect your opinion, but i think it could. i certanly enjoy it anyway.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 16:57 (Ref:388958)   #13
Jordi
Veteran

Catalonia
Vilafranca del Penedés, CATALONIA
Jordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridJordi should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IRL's not a while off yet. It's one or two worlds off...

Anyway. F1 is the pinnacle. F1 is the World Championship. Even if it's boring.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 18:35 (Ref:389038)   #14
tanalised
Veteran

New Zealand
new zealand
tanalised should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
F1 for me was the pinnacle; but not anymore. Its dull. Its too full of robots like Ralf who wouldn't dare pass anyone (especially if they're TGF!) if his life depended on it.
and Downforce I'm afraid that the IRL hasn't got everything racing should be; they never have to turn right, unless its pulling out of the pits. Maybe if they tried a few road courses ...... but why bother, coz theres CART doing that.

Maybe the pinnacle is Rally driving. I'm heading off next week to watch the NZ rally. It should be great
Old 26 Sep 2002, 19:35 (Ref:389080)   #15
FastCar5
Rookie

Canada
Toronto, Canada
FastCar5 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Actually I have been watching alot of GP motorcycle racing lately, now that my cable company provides it. It is anything but dull. Now if we could get the four wheelers to race like that we might have something!
Old 26 Sep 2002, 22:25 (Ref:389310)   #16
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by Down F0rce
well, its got everthing racing should be.
Except right-hand turns.

I'm sorry but F1 is the pinnacle. It's what drivers aspire to do. When I started karting, I wanted to be Formula One World Champion, and it's the same for many, many more kids out there.

Last edited by mac; 26 Sep 2002 at 22:26.
Old 26 Sep 2002, 22:47 (Ref:389342)   #17
Jay
Veteran

United Nations
Canada
Jay should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, if one of our drivers goes to F1 we wish him the best of luck. I think it's a tribute to how great Cart is that anyone who wins the championship or shows promise here immediately attracts attention from the F1 circle.
"I used to hate writing, but now I enjoy it. I realized that the purpose of writing is to inflate weak ideas, obscure poor reasoning, and inhibit clarity. With a little practice, writing can be an intimidating and impenetrable fog!" - Calvin and Hobbes
Old 30 Sep 2002, 08:03 (Ref:391892)   #18
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
"Announcement at the US Grand Prix!"
"Announcement at the US Grand Prix!"

Seems the French channel Tf1 was the only one with this "inside scoop".
Old 30 Sep 2002, 10:41 (Ref:392030)   #19
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah, there was supposed to be a number of announcements at the USGP. The only one I heard was "This was not our plan".
Old 1 Oct 2002, 01:15 (Ref:392685)   #20
Tailwind
Veteran

United States
Mulvane, KS
Tailwind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I know this isn't in line with this thread, but I thought there was supposed to be an announcement from Carl Haas at the USGP.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 10:54 (Ref:392923)   #21
Liz
Veteran

Liz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridLiz should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Apparently none of these "confirmed" deals are actually done. That or they decided there were already enough reasons for fans to boo and carry on at Miami and they would delay until a somewhat calmer time.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 15:45 (Ref:393157)   #22
Flatspot
Veteran

United States
Salt Lake City
I think you hit it on the head Liz. Given the fallout from the most recent, high profile, series switches, i.e. Andretti, Franchitti et al. It seems that any announcement of a major change before the off season would be bad business. It may even put people at physical risk during the remainder of the races. It would suck making entrance to a race similar to enterance to the airport and its already half-way there.
Old 1 Oct 2002, 16:43 (Ref:393217)   #23
Liz
Veteran

I hope people will behave themselves in expressing their dissatisfaction this weekend. But it's bound to be interesting to hear what will go on....