Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Barn Finds > ChampCar World Series

Old 28 Aug 2005, 13:15 (Ref:1392952)   #1
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Mosport67 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Andrew Ranger and Sponsorship dollars

An article in today's Toronto Sun claims that Andrew's agent had to come up with $100,000 to repair crash damage from Friday. Sounds like Andrew has to pay if he damages the car.

http://torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSp...91308-sun.html
Old 28 Aug 2005, 13:48 (Ref:1392972)   #2
TedN
Racer

Canada
Georgetown, ON, Canada
TedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridTedN should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Is this an unusual arrangement? I wonder if Phillippe has the same deal? Sounds like the team is big time underfunded.

Ted
Old 28 Aug 2005, 14:04 (Ref:1392981)   #3
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I guess Ranger used up all of the money he brought to pay for equipment! Can anyone remember the accidents he's been in this year?

The article makes it sound like he's done if he races hard and done if he conserves his equipment. Ranger needs to speak with Manning to figure out how to last the entire season without danaging the car.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 14:38 (Ref:1392994)   #4
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
This is where that second year of Atlantic would have helped Andrew. Instead he is learning with very expensive equipment.
Old 28 Aug 2005, 14:40 (Ref:1392995)   #5
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
From TSN:

Quote:
Rookie Andrew Ranger of Roxton Pond, Que., will finish the Champ Car season despite being strapped for funds after a string of crashes, his team boss said Saturday.

Ranger's contract with the modest Mi-Jack team obliges him to pay for repairs from any accidents on the track and there have been several this season.
Old 29 Aug 2005, 04:16 (Ref:1393435)   #6
Oaksnaf
Veteran

Australia
Oaksnaf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Surely they would only make him pay for damages/crashes if it were his own fault. If they make him pay for a write-off when the likes of Da Matta rip down your inside and bowl you over then that would be ridicolous. And an engine failure, they have all the telementary data to show whether it was his fault of not....surely they cant make him pay for what is a natural engine failure?? Or can they.

And besides, yes its a ride in Champ Cars, but that is one dodgy contract deal. It could literally, break your career eating into your $$$ and leaving you dry.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 01:04 (Ref:1394132)   #7
enemy-ace
Veteran

Canada
toronto, ontario, canada
enemy-ace should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to wonder if his recent lack of results isn't in some way due to him running a suspect chassis? My thinking is that maybe the car isn't quite what it was at the beginning of the season.
A torrential afternoon practice session in Watkins Glen saw Villeneuve out-qualify everyone. By 11 seconds.Scheckter stated: "I scared myself rigid that day, I thought I had to be quickest. Then I saw Gilles's time and - I still don't really understand how it was possible. Eleven seconds !"
Old 30 Aug 2005, 04:56 (Ref:1394177)   #8
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Or maybe he's not pushing as hard, for fear of damaging the car.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 18:54 (Ref:1394737)   #9
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
okeefe should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
WOW! that's an even dirtier deal than Villeneuve on the flipside having to pay his own $7,000.00 for too fast into the pit.......This arrangement for this cute little French new young driver just does not seem conducive to winning races at all and in fact kinds sucks for sure!
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:00 (Ref:1394823)   #10
Tenoch
Veteran

United States
Another Michigan Town
Tenoch should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This really stinks the kid is only 17 or 18, I'm 19 and I cant imagine having to worry about such things thats like saying thta if I underperform in college my family loses the house.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 20:21 (Ref:1394848)   #11
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
I've only ever raced against one other car at a time and only ever for the challenge of it - no money, high stakes fame, etc. Just the challenge of my driving and my car in my younger days. I don't know how it's possible to get the job done and win if you're afraid and holding back. I have such a new respect for these champ car drivers - they put the most exciting show on and it seems they get so little credit for it at the end of the day on all fronts sometimes.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:01 (Ref:1394898)   #12
Snrub
Veteran

Canada
London, Ontario, Canada
Snrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSnrub should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If you take your street car or race preped car to the track and someone acts like an idiot and crashes into you, who do you think pays? It's not the other guy. Same thing when CDM ran into Wilson, PKV didn't give RuSport money to pay for the damages. If Ranger is paying the expenses to keep the car going and it gets damanged, it stands to reason that he should have to pay (fair or not).
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:37 (Ref:1394952)   #13
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!macdaddy has a real shot at the podium!
Good point, (fair or not).

Still an interesting contract clause, though. I wonder if this is perhaps more common in motorsports than we're aware of?
Old 30 Aug 2005, 21:56 (Ref:1394976)   #14
pferrf1
Rookie

pferrf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The likely scenario is probably a little like this:

It sounds like the Tide sponsorship is only for the CDN races. That meant that MiJack's money, plus Ranger's money was probably only good enough for a parital season. The team may have been ready to go with somebody else (say Haberfeld). ranger could then have made up the budget shortfall by committing to the damage portion of the budget. i.e. say the team's budget for crash damage is $400K.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 22:29 (Ref:1395011)   #15
macdaddy
Veteran

Canada
St.Catharines Ontario
Another good post.
Old 30 Aug 2005, 23:20 (Ref:1395043)   #16
Hazza
Subscriber
Veteran

Australia
Behind You.
Hazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHazza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by macdaddy
Good point, (fair or not).

Still an interesting contract clause, though. I wonder if this is perhaps more common in motorsports than we're aware of?
Reigning V8Supercar Driver Marcus Ambrose had the same deal going I belive when he did British Formula 3. I seem to remember reading that after the final race he knocked a hole in the bottom of the car on a kerb, and left the track before the mechanics checked the car.

One thing that could potentially be a problem is the Vegas oval race. I wouldn't want to foot the bill in the advent of a highspeed smack into the turn one wall! Especially as there is more of a chance of getting caught in someone else's accident.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 09:59 (Ref:1395333)   #17
Alex K
Veteran

United Kingdom
England
Alex K has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Did Haberfeld has a cash to do 14 race season. AFAIK he did.
Old 31 Aug 2005, 14:18 (Ref:1395547)   #18
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
So, Ranger has to pay for repairs on the sponsored car on wreck - fair or not-- out of his own pocket because he's driving it? Fair or not - though, does that same pocket of Ranger hold all the glory at win time - just because he drove it to victory?
Old 1 Sep 2005, 14:02 (Ref:1396443)   #19
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosport67
An article in today's Toronto Sun claims that Andrew's agent had to come up with $100,000 to repair crash damage from Friday. Sounds like Andrew has to pay if he damages the car.

http://torontosun.com/Sports/OtherSp...91308-sun.html
Good morning! I'm heading to mosport this weekend to watch the American LeMans. Some friends of mine have been racing their vw's (even vwrabbits LOL) around that track - but it will be my first time at that track and seeing American LeMans. I'm so excited it's hard to work the day out here.........
Old 1 Sep 2005, 15:48 (Ref:1396502)   #20
Redracer77
Veteran

Redracer77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it is totally fair to bill the driver for repairs. If that is what the driver signed then that is up to him/her. Most drivers In Champ Car pay for the drive so if they don't arrange insurance then they will have to pay for the damage. I guess only the paid drivers will not pay as they will have it in their contract. Could you imagine if the Ganassi drivers had to pay for damage......23 wrecked cars in one season..... They would be in debt by millions each!!!
Old 1 Sep 2005, 16:04 (Ref:1396510)   #21
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
I'd absolutely love to one day understand the business/money end of all this. I must be missing something in the equation of sponsorhip dollars vs. the driver's own pocket dollars. I do believe that to race well and take chances that win though the driver must be willing to risk car and life each race. I would think it would be too distracting to have a driver worry about the cost of repairs and in my humble opinion, would defeat the purpose of putting him in that seat to get the job done. If anyone can explain the pecking order of the money end of these races, I'd love to learn it.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 16:15 (Ref:1396515)   #22
Kicking-back
Veteran

Kicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridKicking-back should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It's unlikely to be any of his own personal funds, but his sponsors would end up having to pony up more cash if he crashes.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 16:57 (Ref:1396555)   #23
Mosport67
Racer

Canada
Near Mosport
Quote:
Originally Posted by okeefe
Good morning! I'm heading to mosport this weekend to watch the American LeMans. Some friends of mine have been racing their vw's (even vwrabbits LOL) around that track - but it will be my first time at that track and seeing American LeMans. I'm so excited it's hard to work the day out here.........
You will have a great time. If you get a chance take a walk down to corner 5. A good spot for photos.

Imagine ChampCars going around there (it did happen in the 60's and 70's).

We are going to be at the track on Friday and Sunday.
Old 1 Sep 2005, 17:34 (Ref:1396584)   #24
okeefe
Racer

Canada
Simcoe, Ontario
I'll do it! thanks! We're camping the weekend so safe journey to us all!