Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Other Motorsports > Kart Racing

Old 1 Aug 2001, 07:03 (Ref:124618)   #1
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Favourite track?

This has probably come up before, but I thought I'd ask a few questions.

1) What is your favourite track that you have driven on?

2) What is the most difficult track you have driven on?

3) (I borrowed this from the racers' forum) What is the most demanding corner you've faced?

ANSWERS:
1) My favourite track would have to be Oran Park, mainly because it is the one I know best. And it's a nice mixture of different aspects of track.

There is also a nice little track I raced on a few years ago between Brisbane and the Sunshine Coast (I have a nasty habit of forgetting the names of places I've been to). Has anyone driven there? It had a scary downhill left-hander at the end of the main straight, a very fast right-left esses over the back, and a fast, flat left-hander onto the main straight. The thing that probably characterised it most were the three hairpins before the final turn and the long straight. Those two are probably my faves.

I would love to have a go at Wollongong around the harbour, and the Launceston Velodrome race sounds cool. And believe it or not, I have not raced at Eastern Creek, despite the fact I live just under half an hour away (not even a hire kart). I finished racing the year before it was completed.

2)That one in Queensland (someone tell me the name!!!). Very busy, with a tricky mix of fast, slow, flowing, non-flowing, uphill and downhill.

3) Either turn one at that place in QLD (AAAGGGHHH!). Or turn one at Coffs Harbour's airport track - fast, flat, and it goes on for ever. You can go through it flat, but only if you get it JUST right.
Old 1 Aug 2001, 14:36 (Ref:124766)   #2
marcus
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

Australia
Australia
marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!marcus has a real shot at the podium!
I would have to say my local track at the Albury/Wodonga club...very good with at least 7 or 8 different layouts...and reasonable quick ..about 110 kph at the end of main straight in my sprint kart..so its not that fast but fast enough..allthough i once arrived there at about 130kph in a Rotax ..wow that was a buzz....dont know about difficults tracks as I havent driven on many ..probably the old ross plum circuit at wagga..very bumpy and a pig to get to.

most demanding corner is a very easy one for me....it is the first corner of the first saturday practise session of any meeting ...not really alert yet, probably about 7am ..still asleep, cold and just plain worn out from working until midnight ..and then there is a corner as you amble out of the pits for your first run ...on cold tyres this soon gets your attention..and it can be very demanding ..but by turn 2 you are well awake and if you manage to get through turn one alive turn 2 seems not so bad ..and by turn 3 Im well awake and ready to rumble
Old 1 Aug 2001, 22:25 (Ref:124962)   #3
philneast
Racer

Australia
Hobart , Tasmania, Australia
philneast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I really enjoy Highclere at Burnie. Lots of variety in corners and a very nice setting. The run from the start line to the hairpin near the pits is awesome. I particularly liked the flat out right hander just after the finish line, fun.

The most challenging corner is the first corner at my home track Orielton. This is a down hill sweeper, and it is a pretty steep hill. The first part is flat out (or should be) in a "J". It is followed by a short uphill straight, so it is important to keep your speed up for the climb, especialy in a "J".
Old 18 Jul 2002, 01:07 (Ref:336168)   #4
mac
Veteran

mac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridmac should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Time to get people back in the kart racing section. Let's drag up some old threads.

We have some newer members who might like to share some stuff.

Or the older members might have some new stuff to share.

I'm still not driving, but I always like to hear about what's happening in karts.
Old 19 Jul 2002, 08:36 (Ref:337141)   #5
arrowultima
Rookie

arrowultima should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
mac, that track u are talking about is in Landsborough, it is know a hire kart track known as the BIg Kart Track. they used to hold race meetings there, but htey stopped a few years ago. it was a pretty wild track, i witnessed many rollovers on those kerbs!
Old 20 Jul 2002, 00:24 (Ref:337828)   #6
mac
Veteran

Yeah, that's the one! I went past it a couple of years ago, and it looked like there were hire karters in there. It's a shame they don't hold race meetings there anymore. It was an awesome track!

Welcome to the forum arrowultima - I hope you enjoy your time here.