Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 7 Oct 2003, 06:58 (Ref:742628)   #1
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Led ZeppF1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Sato to partner Button in 2004

Well, its confirmed. Sato will partner Button at BAR in 2004.

------

BAR confirmed on Tuesday that their Japanese test driver Takuma Sato will race for the team next season. Sato will partner Jenson Button at the Honda-powered squad, replacing Jacques Villeneuve.

http://www.formula1.com/race/news/909/33.html
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:03 (Ref:742631)   #2
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
Jacques WILL be driving in Japan in his last race for BAR
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:08 (Ref:742640)   #3
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I can't say i'm suprised to see Sato get the nod.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:09 (Ref:742641)   #4
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
And hope to have an impresive performance and leave god memories to his fans...
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:11 (Ref:742642)   #5
Led ZeppF1
Veteran

Indonesia
Jakarta, Indonesia
Yeah, its not surprises at all.

The question, is Sato a good choice for the team?
Old 7 Oct 2003, 07:54 (Ref:742677)   #6
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well there goes the 2004 chassis budget then.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 08:05 (Ref:742693)   #7
bacon sandwich
Racer

United Kingdom
basildon essex
bacon sandwich should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have to say that I'm not sure if he's going to get above that middling group of Firman, Wilson, etc who are doing a solid job but not pulling off anything spectacular at the mo, but he did well at the Japanese GP for Jordan and he was pretty special in F3 so we'll see. He's my only claim to fame as he sat in my chair at Brands one day after crashing out so I need him to do reasonably well so I can name drop!!
Old 7 Oct 2003, 08:21 (Ref:742703)   #8
esorniloc
Veteran

esorniloc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Honda wanted a Japanese driver and they got one!

Can he do what no other Japanese driver has done and win a GP???????????????????????????????
Old 7 Oct 2003, 08:25 (Ref:742708)   #9
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I don't think anyone will be surprised at this. It's been clear for the whole of this seaosn, and msot of last, that JV's days in BAR are numbered, and that they'd already decided to include Sato. Of course, we don't know exactly how well he's done in testing, but I suspect the decision is influenced by Honda pressure.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 08:37 (Ref:742718)   #10
jetsetter
Veteran

Australia
Ipswich Qld Australia
jetsetter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I just hope that BAR have put funds aside for the inevitable damage that Sato will inflict on the car.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 08:56 (Ref:742728)   #11
kdr
Veteran

kdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridkdr should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally posted by jetsetter
I just hope that BAR have put funds aside for the inevitable damage that Sato will inflict on the car.
don't worry...their engines will probably go "boom!" before he can.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 09:01 (Ref:742731)   #12
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Well he was the reason Jordan ran an extra year with Honda. But I think for whatever reasons his capabilities don't match his aspirations.

But you never can tell. He's got a second shot so I look forward to seeing him prove me wrong.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 09:08 (Ref:742740)   #13
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Well at least we can look forward to some great post race interviews with Taku again next year! Anyone who can come out with quotes like "very slippery oily stuffs" is ok in my book. F1 needs characters so at least JV (one of the few characters out there this year) is being replaced by someone just as quotable (for different reasons but what the hell).

It doesn't look like JV will be in F1 next year which is a shame but I think this decision was made a long time ago - he should have been looking for another dive much earlier in the year.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 09:31 (Ref:742751)   #14
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Quote:
Originally posted by BertMk2
It doesn't look like JV will be in F1 next year - he should have been looking for another dive much earlier in the year.
I think you are right. But a DRIVE would have been even better.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:06 (Ref:742782)   #15
high contrast
Retired
Racer

high contrast should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well Well Well...all the know-it-alls!

I've been telling you this all year!

But you still don't get the full picture...let me tell you AGAIN...Honda payed for his junior racing, he had the best Mugen's in F3. Anyone who beat him or could run with him did a great job, as Sato had all the best and latest engine parts.

Honda are increasing their investment in B.A.R. next year (they'll need to!)

Jordan was just his 'F1 nursery', when EJ said "Enough" Honda bought Sato back (from a certain intervening party) and pushed him into BAR so the Honda engineers had their own Japanese speaker behind the wheel (in Honda's own development chassis).

B.A.R. & Honda are two teams rolled into...er...Two!
Hence the unreliability (IMHO)

I can't remember the 'silly name' of the chap (made up of symbols) who made me a laughing stock here, several months ago, when I dared to suggest that Honda were being Nationalistic wanting a Japanese driver.
Perhaps NOW he'll be brave and honest enough to join us here on this thread and admit that he was just being cynical for the sake of a cheap laugh?

However it remains to be seen if Sato can curb his 'Samuri warrior' genes and drive within his ability, and not at 101% as he still has a tendency to do in testing (Mugello testing accident) If he/they can harness his Japanese 'superhumaness' we are all in for some eventfull performances.

On the Honda front it can only be a matter of time before BAT sell out their BAR share to Honda?
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:15 (Ref:742791)   #16
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I thnk Sato was a little unfairly maligned in 2002 - sure he crashed once or twice, but not nearly as often as many would have you believe. Put it this way, he impressed me more than Massa, who always looked just about to crash.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:16 (Ref:742792)   #17
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
I'd put them in the same category but that's my opinion. I don't recall Massa driving into his team mate though.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:19 (Ref:742795)   #18
Glen
Veteran

Glen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridGlen should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yea that was a particularly daft one - but Massa did manage something almost as silly at the same race.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:24 (Ref:742799)   #19
DriverT
Veteran

United Kingdom
Silverstone
DriverT should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm I agree with BAR's decision, but couldn't they get anyone better than Sato?
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:24 (Ref:742803)   #20
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally posted by Peter Mallett
I think you are right. But a DRIVE would have been even better.
Ooops
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:27 (Ref:742807)   #21
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Glen,

Quite possibly but only "almost". Its all relative really.

Working as I do in the international sector I get to see jingoism from all sides. It always galls me that results and professionalism are sacrificed on the alter of nationality.

IMHO there are more deserving and capable drivers out there than Sato even if he is a nice bloke, but as has been pointed out, his excellent F3 season was allegedly underwritten by Honda and therefore did we see the real talent or just what money could provide?

Last edited by Peter Mallett; 7 Oct 2003 at 10:30.
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:45 (Ref:742816)   #22
Brandy_snap
Racer

Brandy_snap should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thing is will he be better in BAR than when he was at Jordan? And the answer to will he win any races? No, unless it rains .... (e.g. see Fisi in Brazil)

Alonso for 2004 WDC! - perhaps not
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:50 (Ref:742817)   #23
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally posted by high contrast

I can't remember the 'silly name' of the chap (made up of symbols) who made me a laughing stock here,

Oh, you mean ®îjñtjûh . Don't worry, he's still about, but under a more pronouncable name now
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:52 (Ref:742819)   #24
Korr
Racer

Korr should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
BAR Sato

Quote:
IMHO there are more deserving and capable drivers out there than Sato even if he is a nice bloke, but as has been pointed out, his excellent F3 season was allegedly underwritten by Honda and therefore did we see the real talent or just what money could provide?
BAR has been underwritten by Honda, and I don't see the stellar results that they had with British F3 and Sato! I don't buy the notion that money and fancy car bits won him the British F3 title the second year he tried for it. He may not be an ultra-talent, but he's more deserving of a ride than a few people that are currently on the grid.

He did fairly well given the Garbage Truck Nee F1 Race Car that was last year's Jordan. Maybe he will do a bit better in a proper racing car.

This is not really news. I think most of us new last year. But good for him! I wish I had factory support to get an F1 ride. Anyone know the number for Trabant's HQ?
Old 7 Oct 2003, 10:55 (Ref:742822)   #25
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Korr.

I did say "allegedly".