Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 24 Aug 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2527330)   #1
F3L
Racer

F3L has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Jake 1 EJ Zip

Loved Jake reminding EJ that EJ said would have sacked Rubens after his post race outburst earlier this year.... very funny although EJ has been Rubens biggest fan all year. Very popular victiry in the pit lane which was good to see.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 15:15 (Ref:2527336)   #2
ASCII Man
Veteran

ASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridASCII Man should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Okay.

Who's Jake?
Old 24 Aug 2009, 15:33 (Ref:2527347)   #3
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Jake Humphrey, the main "studio" (OK, it's on site) presenter of the BBC F1 coverage.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 15:34 (Ref:2527348)   #4
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by F3L View Post
Loved Jake reminding EJ that EJ said would have sacked Rubens after his post race outburst earlier this year.... very funny although EJ has been Rubens biggest fan all year. Very popular victiry in the pit lane which was good to see.
The whole point of having a pundit is to air opinions. Sometimes they'll be wrong. 'Anchorman' Jake doesn't give opinions so he's never right or wrong.
Old 24 Aug 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2527390)   #5
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
The whole point of having a pundit is to air opinions. Sometimes they'll be wrong. 'Anchorman' Jake doesn't give opinions so he's never right or wrong.
Yup.

It's easy to knock Eddie, but he is paid to give his opinion and he's bound to be wrong on occasion, as we all are.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 13:32 (Ref:2527927)   #6
darcym
Veteran

darcym should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Eddie was wrong to wear the shirt he had on Sunday
Old 25 Aug 2009, 13:48 (Ref:2527944)   #7
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by darcym View Post
Eddie was wrong to wear the shirt he had on Sunday
... and the trousers too
Old 25 Aug 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2527946)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Hans View Post
Yup.

It's easy to knock Eddie, but he is paid to give his opinion and he's bound to be wrong on occasion, as we all are.

Sure he's entitled to his opinion, as you say, thats what he's paid to do, it's just the way he comes out with things that annoy me, especially "that (subject) is for a different time - but (talks about subject anyway)"

I like Jake, he's doing a good job imo and love the way, when Eddie is going off on one, Jake and DC are giggling like schoolboys at him!

Have to say though, i prefered Mike Gasgoynes input when he stood in for EJ.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 14:43 (Ref:2527977)   #9
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Um,

Isn't this in the wrong forum? *Checks listings.* Yes, I think it is. Prepare for movement chaps.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 14:49 (Ref:2527980)   #10
davyboy
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
I like Jake, he's doing a good job imo and love the way, when Eddie is going off on one, Jake and DC are giggling like schoolboys at him!

Have to say though, i prefered Mike Gasgoynes input when he stood in for EJ.
You obviously like your men smooth

Seriously though, I believe the BBC retained EJ in order to add some character/controversy/spice to the broadcast. Its something that's been missing since Murray Walker departed the scene. I don't think EJ goes far enough... but his 'wheeler/dealer/fixer' approach is better than nothing.
While Jake and DC are good, they're also a bit too polished and if EJ's spot was taken by Mike Gascoigne on a regular basis we'd have battle of the corporate smoothies.
Old 25 Aug 2009, 17:38 (Ref:2528074)   #11
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Agreed davyboy, I am fine with DCand Mike, but as you say theya re little too used to being told what to do by PR people and hence give you soundbytes rather than words

That is their job here, but I do think DC could be a little more forthcoming instead of stating the obvious, Martin managed it off the bat pretty much?
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:03 (Ref:2528501)   #12
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
... and the trousers too
Yeah he looked like a stick of rhubarb.
Old 26 Aug 2009, 12:10 (Ref:2528510)   #13
Graz
Veteran

Ireland
Graz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridGraz should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Agreed davyboy, I am fine with DCand Mike, but as you say theya re little too used to being told what to do by PR people and hence give you soundbytes rather than words

That is their job here, but I do think DC could be a little more forthcoming instead of stating the obvious, Martin managed it off the bat pretty much?
If you've ever seen the soccer punditry (and GAA punditry for that matter come to think of it) on Irish TV channel RTE, that's what you want. People speaking their minds. The PR 'we have to say all the right things' approach that British TV punditry has is boring. Look how Brundle was treated a while back when he dared to criticise the FIA, simply because it was out of character with the tone of the (then ITV) standard presentation.

EJ is an eejit who talks out the wrong end most of the time but hey, look at the debate it causes here so it works! Sure let's get Irvine and Villeneuve on aswell for some more straight talking.