Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Motorsport History

Old 11 Sep 2007, 19:58 (Ref:2009664)   #1
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pics from Donington (60's-70's)?

Does anyone have pictures of DP while it was closed, before Tom Wheatcroft took over? I have a gut feeling there won't be many out there - Google hasn't helped.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 09:31 (Ref:2009996)   #2
chunterer
Race Official
Veteran

chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!chunterer is going for a new world record!
Fortunately we've got a few good historians/photographers on here like Andrew Kitson, Glyn Parham for example who might be able to help once they notice this thread.
Old 12 Sep 2007, 21:20 (Ref:2010530)   #3
glyn parham
Racer

United Kingdom
Strood
glyn parham should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Evening all.

Sadly Chunterers faith in me is unfounded as I have no piccies of DP before Tom got hold of it. I haven't read his autobiography but maybe there are some photos in it, it may also be worthwhile getting hold of Tom somehow to see if he has any.

One thing is for sure, if there are any photos around they would make interesting viewing, I can't wait to see some more responses.

Glyn
Old 13 Sep 2007, 11:33 (Ref:2011055)   #4
medius
Veteran

England
Media Office hiding from the rain
medius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmedius should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Thanks for the answers. I'm into the whole Urban Exploration scene, and seeing a currently used track in a 'derelict' state would be great.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 05:47 (Ref:2012239)   #5
racer69
Veteran

Australia
Sydney, Australia
racer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridracer69 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A couple of years ago there were a few pics posted on the Nostalgia Forum at AtlasF1, looked to be around the time work had just started on fixing it up. Though i had no luck finding it when i did a search there just then.......
Old 14 Sep 2007, 07:41 (Ref:2012312)   #6
Rob29
Veteran

United Kingdom
Lincolnshire,UK
Rob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridRob29 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I seem to recall some photos published in Autosport or MN around the time it was anounced the circuit would reopen.c1975?
Old 14 Sep 2007, 08:14 (Ref:2012334)   #7
Andrew Kitson
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
5 minutes from Snetterton
Andrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAndrew Kitson should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Sorry, I do not have any either. The pictures from the first few years after the re-opening show how attractive it looked until Tom and his team cut most of the trees down. The area after the old hairpin bridge up to McLeans was thick woodland. It was a true park circuit.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 13:55 (Ref:2012734)   #8
jamesholland
Racer

jamesholland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
There was an article in The Motor (or possibly Autocar) about it in I think 1970 or 71 in which the writer (Phillip Turner?) drove round the old course in TW's Maserati 8CM before any of the site was cleared.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 20:03 (Ref:2016125)   #9
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by medius
Thanks for the answers. I'm into the whole Urban Exploration scene, and seeing a currently used track in a 'derelict' state would be great.
This site's got plenty of the opposite... previously used tracks currently in a derelict state as well as plenty of pictures of them in their heyday.

http://groups.msn.com/Circuitsofthep...h/welcome.msnw