Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 14 Sep 2007, 17:20 (Ref:2012962)   #1
skmanuk
Racer

England
skmanuk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Should Alonso and de la Rosa resign?

In view of recent revelations neither character seems to have covered themselves with honour, in particular DLR.

This does sort of put into perspectice TGF's indescretions.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 17:22 (Ref:2012963)   #2
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Yawn.

No, I don't think personally that they should resign for having a conversation at work.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 17:36 (Ref:2012967)   #3
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by skmanuk
This does sort of put into perspectice TGF's indescretions.
Lets leave that out. we don't need to go over these again. Besides they are totally different situations.

FWIW, I think no too.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 18:18 (Ref:2013015)   #4
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
No they shouldn't resign, but I get the feeling that perhaps they won't be at McLaren for much longer.

Wasn't Stepney the first to approach them with information..
Old 14 Sep 2007, 18:23 (Ref:2013020)   #5
pottiella
Veteran

pottiella should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knowlesy
Yawn.

No, I don't think personally that they should resign for having a conversation at work.
yeah, what he said.

----

touringlegend, judging by what has just come out, that Ron was the one who went to the FIA, and then being supportive of Fernando in the following races (especially at Monza), him also saying in the post-verdict press conf that he expects his two drivers to stay their contract duration...and also Alonso being visibly happier at monza with the team and Lewis...and then further saying yesterday he's more comfortable with the team...

Well, there's only one of the two who has to worry about their job I reckon - if at all.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 18:30 (Ref:2013028)   #6
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
For de la Rosa the consequences don't matter, so resign or not it won't make any difference.

In Alonso's case, he's committed an indiscretion which has massively harmed his team, and he's gotten away with it. His situation does matter because he's fighting for the world championship. He needs to figure out what value that championship will have, in the event he takes it, given what he's done.

An honourable thing to do would be to forfeit his drivers championship points for this year and apologize for what he did. People would have a lot more respect for him if he did. But I'm sure he will do neither.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 18:57 (Ref:2013044)   #7
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
I think Alonso should resign!

He has brought the sport into disrepute! He has messed up McLaren anyway so why not sever all ties before he beats Hamilton.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:03 (Ref:2013048)   #8
pottiella
Veteran

I'm still struggling here...what is it that he did (so bad)? Nobody's given me a clear answer on that yet. Still waiting...
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:05 (Ref:2013050)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I don't think we'll see either of them resign, although I think de la Rosa will probably struggle to gain further employment in F1 should he want it - in any normal job, if you caused your employer such a huge amount of trouble you'd struggle to find another job ("So Mr de la Rosa, can you tell me why you left your previous job?" "Well, er..." ). But Alonso won't quit for two reasons - firstly, he wants to win and he can't do that if he leaves McLaren without a viable alternative; and secondly, resigning would be an admission of guilt and I doubt he's too keen on that idea either.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:10 (Ref:2013053)   #10
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
It has come out, he used the information to gain in performance. 2 things they should resign because they used the information to their advantage but oddly why did it work on the McLarens, since they are different cars to the Ferraris, have different weight distribution etc. The 2nd point is that they used the company email system and they were stupid enough to do that! Stupidity is reason enough to resign.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:11 (Ref:2013054)   #11
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
If the rumour from Spa is correct and Alonso tried to blackmail Ron with the threat of going to the FIA with the email evidence, to gain release from his contract or #1 status, then McLaren should sack him.

"But as reported earlier, a rumour has been swirling all day in the Spa paddock that Dennis actually pre-empted the disgruntled Alonso, who was at the time threatening to take the offending emails to the FIA."
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:14 (Ref:2013057)   #12
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands
If the rumour from Spa is correct and Alonso tried to blackmail Ron with the threat of going to the FIA with the email evidence, to gain release from his contract or #1 status, then McLaren should sack him.

"But as reported earlier, a rumour has been swirling all day in the Spa paddock that Dennis actually pre-empted the disgruntled Alonso, who was at the time threatening to take the offending emails to the FIA."
Very interesting! Where is this from? Where did you hear it? Linky?
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:22 (Ref:2013060)   #13
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Very interesting! Where is this from? Where did you hear it? Linky?
That came from here http://www.f1-live.com/f1/en/headlin...14204448.shtml but I've read that rumour on several sites.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:26 (Ref:2013063)   #14
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Stupidity is reason enough to resign.
if only that was also a rule for politicians

while, i see your point about getting a performance advantage, and agree with it, how do you differentiate between Alonso using the info and Hamilton benefiting from Alonso set up work done prior to quali at OZ and Bahrain? FA has many times this season has stated his uncomfort with sharing that data with LH so we know it was done. its just too complicated to get into really.

but on the subject of the first 2 races, i did wish the FIA would have also erased Mclarens points (includung drivers) for the first 2 races.
more than anything i want some closure on this whole scandal and i cant think of a better way than essentially squaring up the campionship between the top 4 and have them race out over the last few races.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:46 (Ref:2013070)   #15
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
How many times, when asked, did Alonso say he knew nothing about the spying scandal - it was something to do with the team and didn't concern him ?
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:48 (Ref:2013072)   #16
pottiella
Veteran

exactly as I imagined this thread to turn out to be...buying into rumours and bypassing objectivity.

Even with the truth out, and the evidence revealed, people are still assuming that he used ferrari information to his advantage. There is no evidence of that whatsoever...you just choose to deduce it.

What's the point....

*tears her hair out and leaves*
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:51 (Ref:2013075)   #17
chillibowl
Veteran

Canada
winnipeg, canada
chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!chillibowl is the undisputed Champion of the World!
lots. but deflecting the question is different than an outright lie. but thats splitting hairs.

in truth though, how could he have answered any differently? saddly, in this day and age its better to lie first, and then settle things with your lawyers. you cant blame FA for playing the same game as his bosses.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 19:57 (Ref:2013082)   #18
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, I came back to see maybe join in some decent debate on a huge issue but now realised why I haven't been around here much.

Yes, I agree totally, Alonso and de la Rosa should resign. Lewis should go and drive for Ferrari and Ron should set up a kebab van in Woking, behind Toys R Us.

Sorry, I feel I've got to go again.

How do you put up with it Knowls - you are a flipping saint.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 20:02 (Ref:2013087)   #19
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy
How many times, when asked, did Alonso say he knew nothing about the spying scandal - it was something to do with the team and didn't concern him ?
Lying to the press, another reason to resign!
Old 14 Sep 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2013094)   #20
Sev
Veteran

Sev has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Regardless of whether or not they should resign, I feel Ron might have certain feelings about their testimony. I certainly think that both of their future's at McLaren are limited this year.

Interesting possible concept; McLaren auction out Alonso's services to the highest bidder to pay for court costs, bring Sutil into the team (probably for free). If no one takes Alonso for a suitable price, Sutil tests. If he leaves, he gets the drive.

Overall, everyone wins in that scenario.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 20:14 (Ref:2013095)   #21
Hugh Jarce
Veteran

Hugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHugh Jarce should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Yes, I'm sure we all agree Alonso is a big fat liar!

Ron should definitely sack him.

But then again FA speaks Spanish and Stepney is English as is Coughlan so how on earth could he understand them - ah yes he must have loaded the dossier into Babelfish and then printed it out on his Epson dot matrix printer.

And, perhaps he used a couple of reams of Office World paper from Grove - now that is a sackable offence.

Yup, give him his cards tomorrow before the race. Yes - live on ITV-F1 - why not let Steve Ryder do it or better still James Allen. Then why not get Michael Grade to sack James Allen.

Blah, blah, blah.
Old 14 Sep 2007, 20:21 (Ref:2013104)   #22
pottiella
Veteran

Hugh Jarce *applauds*
Old 14 Sep 2007, 21:13 (Ref:2013138)   #23
ljakse
Veteran

Serbia
Belgrade, Serbia
ljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridljakse should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hugh, I missed you!
Old 14 Sep 2007, 21:28 (Ref:2013159)   #24
Rory
Rookie

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Rory has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
From my thread that was closed (grrrr!!)

Probably be touted in other threads, but I wanted to raise this based on the evidence that came to light from the FIA about emailgate. Yes, McLaren advocate equality between their drivers, but Ron also is very much into honour and integrity. If the rumours of FA threatening Ron with taking the info to the FIA are correct, which to me sounds plausable as Ron was the one that flagged it up to them.... then I would imagine the entire McLaren camp are not a happy bunch of campers.
I would also put into doubt the chances of FA driving for McLaren next season.

Therefore, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see a few minor 'errors' during pitstops, or strategies that work out in favour of Lewis for the remainder of the season. With no WCC points to play for, I would go as far as to suggest that if there's any further dummy spitting from Alonso, he could be out on his ear and lose his seat. Franchitti's not doing much just now is he?
Old 14 Sep 2007, 21:38 (Ref:2013172)   #25
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
All Rory's posts deserve their own thread.

Rory, is that another Hugh style post?