Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 17 Sep 2007, 11:10 (Ref:2015516)   #1
schead
Racer

schead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridschead should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Can McLaren still score FOM money for 2007?

Given the fact that the bottom teams have agreed to pool their tv rights money for 2007, surely McLaren should now be included in this pool, particuarly as their money will significantly increase the pool and are at the bottom. If not, they could reignite the customer car issue to get in on the cash pool.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 11:23 (Ref:2015525)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
I was under the impression that McLaren's FOM money for this year will be subtracted from their fine, so they wouldn't actually see it but it would go straight to Max - I mean, er the FIA's road safety campaign.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Sep 2007, 13:01 (Ref:2015646)   #3
Knowlesy
20KPINAL

Knowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameKnowlesy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Ralf's Girl has it right.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 13:43 (Ref:2015705)   #4
Kirk
Veteran

Kirk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
and has Ferrari officially won the constructors?

Slightly off topic but:

What if McLaren appeals the recent decision and wins. Is it possible that the constructors championship is still alive for 2007, pending the appeal? Has RD told his team that it ain’t over yet?
Old 17 Sep 2007, 13:47 (Ref:2015712)   #5
flor
Veteran

flor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridflor should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
if they appeal and lose, the punishment could be a lot harder
Old 17 Sep 2007, 13:49 (Ref:2015717)   #6
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
RD has hinted that there won't be any appeal against the punishment - I can only see that happening if they turned up something big enough to prove categorically that they didn't benefit from having Ferrari documents, and I don't see how they can do that.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 17 Sep 2007, 13:58 (Ref:2015728)   #7
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If they appeal they can still get it back. Afterall the drivers still have their points, so if that aggregate is higher than both Ferrari drivers aggregate then McLaren wouldve been ahead.

The original question though, its not the "bottom" teams pooling money, its specifically Spyker, Toro Rosso and Super Aguri. Because McLaren are down the bottom now, that simply gives more money for the 3 tail enders.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 15:13 (Ref:2015804)   #8
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by flor
if they appeal and lose, the punishment could be a lot harder

As flor says, it could be worse if they lose the appeal, is the risk worth it?

Jean Todt hopes they appeal and lose then one of his drivers (Kimi) would most likely be gifted the title.

I read that on a link in another thread somewhere
Old 17 Sep 2007, 15:23 (Ref:2015816)   #9
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
According to Autosport, McLaren's appeal against their points deduction from Hungary is likely to go ahead this week: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62515

More points = more money to deduct from the fine, although even if they win that appeal, surely Ferrari will overhaul their points total up to Monza by the end of the season?
Old 17 Sep 2007, 15:31 (Ref:2015824)   #10
ScotsBrutesFan
Race Official
Veteran

Scotland
West Lothian
ScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameScotsBrutesFan will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
More points = more money to deduct from the fine, although even if they win that appeal, surely Ferrari will overhaul their points total up to Monza by the end of the season?
Ferrari overhauling McLaren's points total is irrelevant.

This is now about gaining the money for those points which added to the previous financial prizes is being offset against the US$100m
Old 17 Sep 2007, 15:41 (Ref:2015830)   #11
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
But presumably money is also awarded at the end of the season according to championship position, in which case McLaren's aim must be to stay ahead of Ferrari - a bit (okay, a lot!) of bad luck for the red cars and they could "win" the constructors' championship.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 15:46 (Ref:2015836)   #12
ralf fan
Forum Host
Veteran

United Nations
Apartment No.203
ralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridralf fan should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Mclaren will not receive money or the other perks for their championship position (ie pit garage preference etc.) because they are officially excluded and hence technically didn't compete in the championship regardless of points. They will however keep the money they get from scoring the points. It is all rather confusing but the FIA does that to you.

Last edited by ralf fan; 17 Sep 2007 at 15:53.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 16:48 (Ref:2015918)   #13
broadrun96
Veteran

United States
broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!broadrun96 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
But if they are officially classified as scoring no points how do they recover money from scoring points? Or does prize money come from them scoring driver, not constructors, points?
Old 17 Sep 2007, 18:42 (Ref:2016034)   #14
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
The impression I get is that McLaren's points up to and including Monza will be taken into account at the end of the season, the FOM money will be calculated accordingly and then offset against the fine. So McLaren will never actually get the money, and no results from Spa onwards will count.
Old 17 Sep 2007, 21:41 (Ref:2016253)   #15
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I had wondered what would happen for the rest of the season. Good to see I'm not the only one confused.

So do positions 9 and 10 score 2 and 1 points for the WCC now (assuming McLaren are in the top eight) and the points are awarded differently for contructors and drivers championship? Other smaller teams could have an issue as it might make a difference in terms of millions of dollars.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 00:38 (Ref:2016348)   #16
willb
Racer

willb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by NickoGP
I had wondered what would happen for the rest of the season. Good to see I'm not the only one confused.

So do positions 9 and 10 score 2 and 1 points for the WCC now (assuming McLaren are in the top eight) and the points are awarded differently for contructors and drivers championship? Other smaller teams could have an issue as it might make a difference in terms of millions of dollars.
apparently not as that would mean two sets of points - drivers and constructors would have to be calculated.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 03:25 (Ref:2016391)   #17
Nicholosophy
Veteran

Australia
Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Nicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridNicholosophy should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Which basically means McLaren are still scoring constructors points - they just aren't counting them towards anything.

I really don't see the point in that penalty at all then - they should have just said that they were excluded from the WCC, not that they were unable to score points.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 04:23 (Ref:2016405)   #18
FPV GTHO
Veteran

Australia
St Marys, NSW
FPV GTHO should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
the $100m penalty is still going to be more than whatever McLaren would get back from FOM, and at the end of the day they'll still be down $100m.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 07:45 (Ref:2016484)   #19
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
It's good to see that the whole thing is completely sorted and understood by everybody now..............

Old 18 Sep 2007, 08:01 (Ref:2016506)   #20
BootsOntheSide
Veteran

England
Eastbourne, England
BootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBootsOntheSide should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
They decided that Lewis can still win the title, then decided everything else afterwards. Result - a confusing and unbalanced penalty. Lots of impressive McLaren garage technology will go to waste, their fine will be reduced by great results at the end of the season. Plus the FIA get early access to McLaren secrets, and can pass them on to favoured teams (naming no names...)
Old 18 Sep 2007, 08:14 (Ref:2016527)   #21
ss_collins
Veteran

Nigeria
Mooresville, NC
ss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridss_collins should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
of course FOM money only gets paid fully if the concorde agreement has been signed - which it hasn't been
Old 18 Sep 2007, 08:14 (Ref:2016528)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I think we are looking for a problem here. When people are fined in the real world their ability to earn to pay it off is not removed. McLaren still have to get $100m from somewhere, which is roughly two years of prize money.

The siutation is actually simple. McLaren have to pay $100m and McLaren will removed from the 2007 WCC points table. Everything else remains the same.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 09:42 (Ref:2016624)   #23
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
That's too straightforward, I feel the need to complicate things.
Old 18 Sep 2007, 15:05 (Ref:2017017)   #24
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
I doubt this will complicate things (although I'm sure we could try ), but McLaren have dropped their appeal against the loss of their points from Hungary - obviously it wasn't particularly important in the 'fine - FOM money' equation.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/62524