Alonso released from Mclaren contract

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/moto...ne/7074737.stm

or so it seems!
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:07 (Ref:2057660)   #2
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
If this turns out to be true, you have to wonder how much it's costing...
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:09 (Ref:2057662)   #3
kipper
Veteran

England
Leics
kipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridkipper should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
If true, it is probably not the most surprising of outcomes. Afterall, I don't think anyone could really see McLaren and Alonso working together next year.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:13 (Ref:2057666)   #4
ensign14
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Deception Island
ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!ensign14 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralf's Girl
If this turns out to be true, you have to wonder how much it's costing...
Apparently no money changing hands. McLaren don't have to pay Alonso for the next 2 years, and Alonso can seek a ride with whichever team wants a double world champ with a habit of backstabbing, betrayal and moaning when a sprog is faster than him.

So Renault then.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:14 (Ref:2057669)   #5
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
McLaren must be desperate to get rid of him if they're willing to let him go for free. I'd have thought they'd want him to buy himself out of his contract if no other team would do it.

A return to Renault might just be a reprieve for Fisichella, seeing as we all know Alonso doesn't like team-mates who are...well...good.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:19 (Ref:2057676)   #6
Spritle
Veteran

Spritle has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
He learned that contract breaking trick from Button!

I don't care where he lands as long as it's not at Ferrari.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:20 (Ref:2057677)   #7
Frank Rizzo
Rookie

Wales
surrey
Frank Rizzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think it's a mistake. A great driver is a great driver is a great driver. Despite all that was going on in the background this year look where he finished. And never mind all that rookie bo**ocks, Hamilton has been with Mclaren for years and was always going to slide into the job a lot easier that anyone else. Alonso's relationship with Ron doesn't really matter, and despite him being a bit of a baby this year, he still is a valuable asset for a team such as Mclaren. They could have controlled the press releases far more effectively imho.

Now Mclaren have 2 world champions who are ex-Mclaren drivers driving for the competition, even though one of them was under contract to them. I guess he goes to Renault for 2 years and then onto the reds (or he goes straight to the reds and Massa moves on for a lovely fat release fee for Jean Todt's son.......)

BTW Autosport.com always does a great job of cocking up major news releases doesn't it? The headline is there but nothing comes up when you click it. Not as good as publishing false news ref the Mclaren exclusion of course, but still irritating.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:24 (Ref:2057682)   #8
luke
Veteran

England
West Sussex, England
luke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridluke should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Fantastic news!
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:25 (Ref:2057683)   #9
shiny side up!
Veteran

United States
Ann Arbor
shiny side up! should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I've always liked Alonso until this season. I wouldn't say I dislike him now, but the general public has certainly been able to see a different side of him this past year.

Anyway, this is probably just desserts for both parties - McLaren feel he was unloyal and he is now no longer part of the team, and Fernando can go elsewhere and feel more valued by the team - the only problem for FA is that he is likely to go into a car that doesn't have the pace he enjoyed in the McLaren.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:30 (Ref:2057690)   #10
elspethhardie
Racer

Wales
South Wales
elspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridelspethhardie should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
So where will he end up? Red Bull, Williams.......Spyker?
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:32 (Ref:2057695)   #11
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
I predict a move to Renault, with Heikki Kovalainen moving in the other direction.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:32 (Ref:2057696)   #12
f1manoz
Veteran

Australia
Lincolnshire, UK
f1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridf1manoz should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Well, can't say I'm surprised. Perhaps Ron and Alonso have sat down and negotiated what would be in the interest of both parties, and after realising so much has happened, it was best to part ways.

The statement is rather amicable, I wonder what their true feelings are?
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:33 (Ref:2057698)   #13
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Didn't see this coming

Great news for F1 IMO. Not because of the fighting with Lewis but the fact that the grid may look very different next season...
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:37 (Ref:2057704)   #14
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
And so the stalled silly season can begin again!

A shame it didn't work out, but both parties had some excellent races together. Hopefully Alonso can find a tam that'll give him he fast car he deserves so he can continue to fight for podiums and wins.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:38 (Ref:2057706)   #15
Helix
Racer

Australia
Victoria
Helix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You know the only thing that really sprang to mind when i read this was that we will really get to see lewis's setup skills in 08 and find out how much he was relying on Fernando's setups to perform as well as he did straight out of the box, or whether he is just that good that he had a handle on things straight up.

I have to say i am a Fernando fan and i was never really comfortable with his move to Mclaren anyway thinking it was only for his ego and money and to say they could lure the world champ, much like Ferrari, so i would be glad to see him back to a team that is more like his family and you will see a resurgence from Renault in 08 if that is his destination.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:39 (Ref:2057709)   #16
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Also covered here.

http://f1.gpupdate.net/en/news/2007/...mclaren-split/
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:52 (Ref:2057728)   #17
Rick
Veteran

Madagascar
Fantasyland
Rick should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Will Ron go for the best he can, or settle for a handy no. 2? - and not rock the boat.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:56 (Ref:2057736)   #18
Frank Rizzo
Rookie

Wales
surrey
Frank Rizzo should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'd still like to see Paffett get a drive - he is still in Merc camp, right?
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:58 (Ref:2057738)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Autosport: http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63741
"Spanish media reported on Friday."
"McLaren were unavailable for comment."
"Everything has ended up well," Alonso's manager Luis Garcia Abad told Spanish media.

So we have no idea. These things are reported so often that it is like cry wolf. Could be true, but could be made up. Pathetic newsness that now even though it is reported we are no better off.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:58 (Ref:2057739)   #20
MrTTraces
Veteran

Zimbabwe
A place where the coffee is cold!
MrTTraces should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Not really a big suprise was it?

I was counting down the days until it was announced.

Redbull and Toyota are the likely candidates for Alonso's services, they've got deep pockets!

Now lets hope Ron brings in Gary Paffett
Old 2 Nov 2007, 12:59 (Ref:2057741)   #21
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
McLaren have since confirmed

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/63742
Old 2 Nov 2007, 13:01 (Ref:2057744)   #22
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Now that I will assume is correct.
Old 2 Nov 2007, 13:04 (Ref:2057748)   #23
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
How do the time stamps on Autosport articles work? The McLaren news one said "Friday, November 2nd 2007, 12:09 GMT", I presume that this is time Pablo Elizalde filed his report rather than when it was published?
Old 2 Nov 2007, 13:08 (Ref:2057757)   #24
Down F0rce
Veteran

Scotland
Aberdeenshire, Scotland
Down F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridDown F0rce should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Not really in doubt, but this is 100% offical as it's on McLaren's site.

http://www.mclaren.com/mediaroom/inf...so_release.php
Old 2 Nov 2007, 13:11 (Ref:2057761)   #25
Robin_D
Veteran

British Antarctic Territory
Warwickshire, UK
Robin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridRobin_D should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Come on Sutil! Get that seat young sir!