Anyone got any tips on Driver Fitness?

Thanks

Sam
Old 22 Jan 2008, 00:47 (Ref:2110948)   #2
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Dont eat too many deep fried mars bars
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 22 Jan 2008, 03:31 (Ref:2110989)   #3
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Gordon thats a weegian thing not Alloan. The deep fried cream egg is more local for him, Sam it was developed in Dollar.

Anyway back to the subject in hand, I am fat, no doubt about it, I get hot and sweaty over a race distance, even at Knockhill you get sweaty at the coldest race of the season, but I am fairly fit for a fat man, been playing rugby for the past 15 years.

Depends what class you're going in for really, the faster cars take it out of you due to the grip and aero. My sportscar isn't too bad is fairly easy on the body, the acceleration is breath taking but you get used to that.

Of course they always talk about F1 drivers being very fit and they are all muscle, the 1st time I met DC I was amazed how muscular he is, Allan McNish has a very firm handshake, so draw your own conclusions.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 08:17 (Ref:2111054)   #4
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Fit power steering and power brakes and only enter 10 lap races :-)
Old 22 Jan 2008, 08:19 (Ref:2111056)   #5
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I dont think a firm handshake is a sign of fitness,more of sincerity than anything else.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 14:57 (Ref:2111264)   #6
rcarr
Veteran

Germany
Back to the homeland of Scotland!
rcarr has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I dont think a firm handshake is a sign of fitness,more of sincerity than anything else.
How about the way he shakes your arm for you and crushes all the bones in your hand? For a wee guy Allan is strong.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 15:29 (Ref:2111281)   #7
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
Allan McNish has a very firm handshake, so draw your own conclusions.
He's a Freemason??
Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:33 (Ref:2111358)   #8
Sam-KK24
Rookie

Scotland
Alloa, Scotland
Sam-KK24 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Well I race karts, but I need to kinda get into shape

mmm, Deep fried Cream egg!! :P
Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:36 (Ref:2111361)   #9
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
terence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridterence should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcarr
How about the way he shakes your arm for you and crushes all the bones in your hand? For a wee guy Allan is strong.
As I said,A PROPER Handshake,not some flimsy, girly one.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:37 (Ref:2111364)   #10
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by falcemob
He's a Freemason??
Being Scottish,it had to be free.
Old 22 Jan 2008, 17:50 (Ref:2111375)   #11
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by terence bower
I'm not so sure, I've noticed a correlation between a firm handshake and being a lawyer!

A good diet, and I would reccomend non-impact excercise. Unfortunately I don't do enough of that, too busy earning money and working on cars!
Old 23 Jan 2008, 20:31 (Ref:2112212)   #12
GBRM
Veteran

England
GBRM should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Speed-Skating on Ice.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 16:34 (Ref:2112712)   #13
steveng
Racer

England
Beverley East Yorkshire
steveng should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Keke Rosberg....Plenty of Marlboro
Mario Andretti...Just driving the cars
My fitness regime is two large glasses of red wine per night, one good Cuban cigar (Monte Cristo No 4) a week and plenty of red meat.
Sadly in order to counteract the above I have to run 6K twice a week and three visits to the gym per week. I have never felt better though, so it works for me.
Old 24 Jan 2008, 18:06 (Ref:2112781)   #14
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
And of all people !!!
Old 24 Jan 2008, 23:32 (Ref:2113012)   #15
DaveGT6
Veteran

England
Langford, Beds.
DaveGT6 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[quote=Sam-KK24]Anyone got any tips on Driver Fitness?

Danica Patrick, she's quite fit and Michelle Mouton was in her time. Going way back Helle Nice certainly had a toned body - way before the times.

....oh, maybe I misunderstood the question?
Old 25 Jan 2008, 00:13 (Ref:2113039)   #16
MGDavid
Veteran

England
Berkshire
MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!MGDavid is going for a new lap record!
excellent off topic Dave - Vanina Ickx, say no more.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 11:25 (Ref:2113283)   #17
LYNX
Veteran

England
Hampshire
LYNX should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'ii try a sensible reply I found riding a motorbike with helmet prepared me for the helmet in the car, which others took longer to get used to. A simple start is three walking sessions of 30 mins a time, increasing the pace. You should walk fast enough to be incapable of holding a conversation in sentances and feel out of breath. Free and you don't have to go to a gym. Walking a dog or with a like minded friend helps it feel less of an ordeal! With money to burn get a fitness trainer. Eat healthy foods and ease up on the alcohol - everything in moderation
Old 25 Jan 2008, 13:15 (Ref:2113343)   #18
midgetman
Veteran

midgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famemidgetman will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cycling. I do 10 & 25 mile TTs, take 30 - 90 minutes, about the same length as the car race stints. Using the gym to get fit for it, and when the sun comes out again I'll do about 20 miles on the bike 3 - 4 evenings a week.

Plenty of fit riders there, too, Dave.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 14:58 (Ref:2113394)   #19
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hmmm

I walk 5 - 7 miles a day with dog and wife. Pracitce Tai - Chi an hour a day.

But those deep fried mars bars look VERY appealing.

I raced bicycles for over 20 years, so I got burned out on that. But still have the old bikes down in the basement.
Old 25 Jan 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2113662)   #20
R59
Veteran

Heard and McDonald Islands
Bedfordshire
R59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridR59 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A balanced diet is the key.

A pint in each hand.

It all depends on what you do for a job. I have an active job.

Al just answers the phone, keeps an eye on the people walking past his shop, and plays with his plinkty plonkty all day long doing graphicky things.

And as for DaveGT6, well really. I have to agree though....

Plenty of Pasta is good as an energy source, however, too much and you'll look like Marlon Brando and need an XXXXXL suit.

Just walk more, not a leisurely stroll, a bit more of a march.
Or choose to take walks in very muddy areas with your wellies on. The mud clogs your boots, making them weigh a ton! It takes 4 times the effort to walk across a muddy field as it does to walk on a nice clean path.

Don't jog, it'll screw your knee cartilages in time due to shock.
Cycle if it takes your fancy.
Rowing machines (the ones based on a fan type thingy) are good for building you up, and building fitness levels without having to leave the area in front of the telly, or going to far from a fridge full of beer.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 20:51 (Ref:2114302)   #21
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Al just answers the phone, keeps an eye on the people walking past his shop, and plays with his plinkty plonkty all day long doing graphicky things.
Yeah I wish! In between laying up a few signs and sign writing a few vans etc. etc. and grabbing hold of those people as they walk past the shop and dragging them in! I also and I mean this funny enough, get a bit of excercise preparing the cars. I have a nice treadmill at home but cannot seem to find the incentive to use it.
Old 26 Jan 2008, 21:08 (Ref:2114310)   #22
Alex Hodgkinson
Veteran

England
Derby
Alex Hodgkinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How serious are you?

I started a serious training programme & controlled diet at the tail end of last season, which goes as follows:

- 4 or 5 gym sessions a week, each roughly comprising of:
- 20 minute run (constantly varying speed and difficulty)
- 40 minute cycle (again varying speed and difficulty)
- 2000m row at full-pelt
- 15 mins stair climber
- 1 hour of various muscle-endurance building exercises
- 40 lengths of a 1/2 size swimming pool

I also have a cycle which I'll be using in between once we get some more sunlight in the evenings.

For my diet, I'm mostly on ultra low fat foods. Lots of pasta, bread, white fish. Don't eat red meat (didn't ever anyway) and drink a lot of H20. I think about 3L a day.

..Now, granted that sounds hardcore, but it can only reflect on how seriously I'm taking it
Old 26 Jan 2008, 21:11 (Ref:2114312)   #23
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by R59
Or choose to take walks in very muddy areas with your wellies on. The mud clogs your boots, making them weigh a ton! It takes 4 times the effort to walk across a muddy field as it does to walk on a nice clean path.

Don't jog, it'll screw your knee cartilages in time due to shock.
Cycle if it takes your fancy.
Rowing machines (the ones based on a fan type thingy) are good for building you up, and building fitness levels without having to leave the area in front of the telly, or going to far from a fridge full of beer.
I found something similar hiking on my parents property in the snow, it's quite a work out compared to the summertime.

Swimming I find is the best exercise overall.

I also like to do wind sprints on my mountain bike.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 09:01 (Ref:2114520)   #24
Highside
Rookie

England
Woburn Sands
Highside should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam-KK24
Anyone got any tips on Driver Fitness?

Thanks

Sam
If your serious about it, read a book caled "Fit for Motorsport" by Dr R.S. Jutley.

It is excellent, and has a very good insight into why you may not need to be fit for motorsport, but you will be better equipped to do well (note, I DIDN'T say faster!) if you are.

A great book on both the technical side, and the practical side of training.

Besides, if being fitter only means you live longer and get to enjoy more races, or don't fall asleap while trailering the car home 'cos your knackered, it has to be worth it, right?

Cheers

Rob

P.S. Miss Sabina Schmit for me, every time.
Old 27 Jan 2008, 15:17 (Ref:2114743)   #25
terence
Veteran

Germany
Nordschleife
Quote:
Originally Posted by Highside
If your serious about it, read a book caled "Fit for Motorsport" by Dr R.S. Jutley.

It is excellent, and has a very good insight into why you may not need to be fit for motorsport, but you will be better equipped to do well (note, I DIDN'T say faster!) if you are.

A great book on both the technical side, and the practical side of training.

Besides, if being fitter only means you live longer and get to enjoy more races, or don't fall asleap while trailering the car home 'cos your knackered, it has to be worth it, right?

Cheers

Rob

P.S. Miss Sabina Schmit for me, every time.
I'll pass it on! Sabine will be flattered.