Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Overdrive BTCC Diecast Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Armchair Enthusiast

Old 27 May 2008, 09:23 (Ref:2212841)   #1
Ralf's Girl
Veteran

England
London
Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!Ralf's Girl has a real shot at the podium!
Graham Hill: Driven

Just wondering if anybody saw this last night on BBC4? It was quite interesting, although perhaps lacked a bit of depth because there was an awful lot to get through in an hour. Some lovely contributions from his family and people he worked with, though - Jackie Stewart had a few amusing stories to tell.

British viewers can watch it online on BBC iPlayer - it's available for the next 6 days, and definitely worth seeing.
"The more I see of the world, the more am I dissatisfied with it; every day confirms my belief of the inconsistency of all human characters, and of the little dependence which can be placed on the appearance of either merit or sense." -- Elizabeth Bennet, 'Pride & Prejudice'
Old 27 May 2008, 12:30 (Ref:2212965)   #2
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Very good, it was an awful lot to get through in an hour - they probably could have done two on the subject without repeating.
Old 27 May 2008, 12:45 (Ref:2212983)   #3
Robert Bruce
Rookie

United Kingdom
Sutton, Surrey
Robert Bruce should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I recall a few years ago one of the terrestrial channels ran a "Stirling Moss Evening" hosted by Nigel Roebuck. Period films interspersed by chat amongst journos / experts, it was good. I think the BBC digital platforms would excel at something similar. British champs Hill, Clark, Hawthorn, Hunt etc to name but a few would make an excellent evenings TV.
Old 27 May 2008, 13:04 (Ref:2213004)   #4
Aysedasi
Team Crouton
20KPINAL

England
Lymington, New Forest, England
Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!Aysedasi is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I saw it at some stupid hour after letting the cat out. Very good
Old 27 May 2008, 17:52 (Ref:2213272)   #5
adstubbs
Racer

United Kingdom
Glamorous Hemel Hempstead
adstubbs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Really enjoyed this, Hill was such a character, and such a contrast to today's drivers (I know times have changed) - can't imagine any of today's lot falling off a table and getting a wine glass in the calf, apart from Kimi....Quite moving as well, watching Bette going through photos, and hearing Damon talk about hearing about the crash on TV. If Villeneuve manages to win Le Mans with Peugeot this year, I hope he will appreciate the significance of matching Graham's achievement of the F1/Indy/Le Mans triple crown
Old 27 May 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2213303)   #6
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by duke_toaster
Very good, it was an awful lot to get through in an hour - they probably could have done two on the subject without repeating.
I agree. But still an excellent programme. Also the one after, about the 50's to 70's of Bonneville was very good too.
Old 28 May 2008, 17:32 (Ref:2214057)   #7
GroupOfOne
Racer

GroupOfOne should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Yeah I saw this on Sunday and thought it was excellent too. Thought it was nice that people seemed to be given the time to talk, rather than having very short snippets of Bette, Damon, JYS etc.

It's also repeated on BBC4 on Saturday at 8pm, for those who don't/can't watch on iPlayer.
Old 29 May 2008, 17:47 (Ref:2214813)   #8
Austinspace75
Racer

England
Cardiff
Austinspace75 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I saw it also and thought it was a very nicely made programme and really quite touching. The stuff from his family was hearteningly open and absolutely fascinating.

I particularly liked the bits of his after dinner speaking and the moment when he was sat with the bloke from Ford telling him he was mad to start an F1 team.

I was too young to know of him when he was alive, but he still came across as an identifiably normal guy, but very funny and in possession of some extraordinary abilities.
Old 30 May 2008, 15:24 (Ref:2215381)   #9
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinspace75
I saw it also and thought it was a very nicely made programme...
It was actually made by Mark (Son of Jackie) Stewart Productions. I too thought it was excellent, having watched it on iPlayer.
Old 30 May 2008, 19:48 (Ref:2215544)   #10
Suze
Veteran

England
Suze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridSuze should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Saw this last Sunday and thought it was good, really interesting as didn't really know much about Graham Hill [apart from the fact he's Damon's father] until I watched it. Mark Stewart did a good job.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 20:52 (Ref:2217229)   #11
rdjones
Take That Fan
Veteran

England
Leeds, Yorkshire
rdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridrdjones should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I watch this on the iplayer last night, a fantastic program and well worth a watch if you get the chance.
Old 1 Jun 2008, 22:57 (Ref:2217356)   #12
mountainstar
Veteran

United States
mountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridmountainstar should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Excellent show but even with an hour it was too little. You could have done another hour at least.