Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: FlagMarshal.com MarshalsGuide.com Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 14 Oct 2008, 22:19 (Ref:2312565)   #1
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
MGCC Chief Marshal stands down

I was kind of hoping someone else would start this, but I guess it falls to me, so

a sad farewell to John Watson who is stepping down as chief marshal of the MG Car Club after upteen years in the post. (He is NOT retiring from marshalling and will probably now be found lurking on the bank somewhere!)

A really BIG thank you John for all you've done for the MGCC and marshalling generally. For your knowledge, your experience and your warmth of friendship to all and your humour, well we'll leave that one

We'll miss Dot too. Now who'll make the tea?

You will be missed, but I know we'll meet again.... some sunny day (hopefully, but knowing the British weather????)

Cheers John
Old 14 Oct 2008, 23:38 (Ref:2312610)   #2
chezza
Veteran

England
Shrewton, Wiltshire
chezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridchezza should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
My goodness, that is a bit of a shock, but there comes a time to hand the mantle on to someone else.

You will be missed as a chief marshal, but glad to hear that you are not retiring completely.

Thank you for all your hard work and kindness that you've shown each time that I've marshalled for the MGCC.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 01:25 (Ref:2312666)   #3
Andrew Palmer
Veteran

England
Peterborough
Andrew Palmer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid

Clive somebody had to start the thread and nobody better than the person taking over as MGCC Cheif Marshal.

But back to the thread.

I'm sorry your hear your standing down John but hopefully I see you on the bank some time soon.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 04:54 (Ref:2312735)   #4
Peter Mallett
The Honourable Mallett
20KPINAL

England
Here and there
Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!Peter Mallett is the undisputed Champion of the World!
As a driver and MGCC member I'd like to extend my thanks to John for all he and his team(s) have done for motorsport in general and the MGCC in particular.

And Clive. I probably won't make the international again this year so you'll have to find someone else to pick on!
Old 15 Oct 2008, 07:24 (Ref:2312778)   #5
Norbert
Racer

England
Norbert should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
All the best John. Thank you for your work. I only marshal for the MGCC perhaps once a year but John always recognised me and was always treated like one of regluars.

Hope you enjoy the future stress-free days on the bank.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 07:38 (Ref:2312788)   #6
Richard Sneader
Veteran

Scotland
Grays, Essex
Richard Sneader should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thank you John for all you have done over the years, I have known you for many years and your contribution to helping marshals has been outstanding. Some of the bigger clubs should take notes from you. CLive good luck in the new post and will see you soon.
Rich S
Old 15 Oct 2008, 08:44 (Ref:2312840)   #7
PenelopePitstop
Racer

European Union
PenelopePitstop should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Thanks for all your hard work, good humor, weather forcasts and timetable predictions in the past and good luck in the future.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2312971)   #8
Gerryc
Racer

United Kingdom
Aylesbury, Bucks.
Gerryc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John,

Marshalling with the MGCC has always been a pleasure - not least because of the way we were treated and respected. This all stems from the attitude of the Chief Marshal so Clive has a lot to live up to. I hope to still see you around and about, many thanks for your professional and helpful assistance in the past.

Gerry Condon
Old 15 Oct 2008, 18:25 (Ref:2313243)   #9
ChrisA
Veteran

England
Sutton In Ashfield
ChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChrisA should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
John, sorry to hear you're stepping down, you'll be missed greatly.

Clive, congrats on taking over, and boy, what a tough act to follow.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 19:34 (Ref:2313301)   #10
Pete Howarth
Veteran

England
New Waltham
Pete Howarth should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive

We'll miss Dot too. Now who'll make the tea?
Thats another job for you Clive
Old 15 Oct 2008, 20:42 (Ref:2313363)   #11
Joyce George
Veteran

England
South Lincolnshire
Joyce George should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
A hard act to follow, John has been a tower of strength & must have a 1st class degree in tact & diplomacy!!! Enjoy your semi-retirement John, & Clive - You'll do a brilliant job, Good Luck!! See you all next year.
Old 15 Oct 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2313443)   #12
paddock.one
Racer

England
Cumbria
paddock.one should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
John - not having been able to get to the last couple of MG events at Oulton, I'll miss seeing you as Chief. MGCC's attitude towards - and generosity to - all its marshals has been well known and much appreciated.

Some of the assembly marshals , and others, have enjoyed track laps with you. I never seemed to find the opportunity, but instead treasure an unforgettable treat when you gave me a course-car ride at the Aintree Festival that freezing day in 2004, complete with appropriate local anecdotes! Thanks for ever for that...

Enjoy not having the Chiefing responsibilities, know it'll continue in good hands - hope to see you again...
Martin B
Old 16 Oct 2008, 13:28 (Ref:2313861)   #13
johngee
#WhatAreHashTags
Veteran

johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!johngee has a real shot at the podium!
I hope you enjoy your retirement John but I hope you'll still be around at Cadwell. It wouldn't be the same without you and your help and support has always been appreciated, perhaps more than you realise
Old 16 Oct 2008, 22:11 (Ref:2314258)   #14
radiogaga
Rookie

England
Lincolnshire
radiogaga should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
As a decendent of the marshalling master - I have finally joined ten tenths in honour of Dad - John Watson!

Many thanks Clive for starting this thread and to everyone for their kind words - which mean a lot to John and the family.

I can echo the amount of hard work that goes on behind the scenes throughout the year and see parts of the job and John's associated dedication that others do not.

John is responsible for encouraging three generations of Watson (and Kendall) marshals to join the fun! But putting the family loyalty aside, here is our own thanks and tribute to a dedicated marshal, a motorsport motivator and an amazing man!

ps - No worries all - we'll make sure we keep dragging him out on post!
Old 16 Oct 2008, 22:47 (Ref:2314277)   #15
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hi Lynne and welcome to 10 tenths. John certainly has a lot to answer for
Old 20 Oct 2008, 12:24 (Ref:2316649)   #16
Elementary
Rookie

Elementary should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I had heard a little rumour earlier in the year from a very very reliable source so this is not a big surprise.

It is however a very sad day for Grant and myself.

So a huge THANK YOU John for your hard work not only for the MGCC but your seemingly tireless crusade to support marshals and to show us all that our efforts are appreciated. Not many Clubs do that sadly. A simple thank you does go a long way. However you eclipsed the thank you by putting on the now infamous Silverstone Big One BBQ and despite the best efforts of (Un) Aspire Catering to destroy it I hope that it continues.

On a personal note, I would like to say thanks John for your support for Grant, myself and "Daisy". It is so very much appreciated.

Enjoy putting your feet up, but don't be a stranger.

love

Grant & Annie Watson + Daisy