Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Classic Cars Monthly Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Historic Racing & Motorsport History > Historic Racing Today

Old 17 Nov 2008, 10:50 (Ref:2336312)   #1
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Holly Birkett 6 Hour Relay Race - 25 October 2008

This year held on the Silverstone International Circuit for the first time allowing even more teams to compete, the 750MC annual 6 hour bash was great fun as usual. 55 teams started, with a great variety of cars although the balance was skewed somewhat by the fact the 11 of those teams were composed entirely of Caterhams. What about a 10-Tenths team, next year?Anyway a few pre race pit and paddock shots, first.

No absolute guarantees on correct identification as programme, whilst listing the cars/drivers of each team does not identify them alphabetically. I just have to assume that the letters are allocated to each car in the order they appear in the list.

The Caterham 7 of Peter Dunn, of the 'Nearly Six Sevens' team, gets fuelled up:-

Simon Page's Frogeye Sprite of the 'Supersprites 2008' team:-

The Fisher Fury of Judy Derisley, a member of the 'Tortoise Stabel Racing Team':-

A member of the 'Old Gits on Speed', composed of a number of different cars, most of which I've never heard of. This is Roger Rowe's Centaur Mk20. Looks smart and purposeful:-

Peter Wright's Crossle 9S, of 'The Belfast Flyers':-

Unknown Sprite/Midget gets a helping hand:-

Andy Green's Morgan Plus 8 of the 'Morgan Gentlemen'

Caterham R400s of the 'Root 49 Racing' team:-

Norman Rickett's BMW 1602 of 'Harrow Car club':-

More Caterhams?:-

Last edited by John Turner; 17 Nov 2008 at 10:54.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 16:33 (Ref:2338991)   #2
eamonn ledwidge
Racer

Ireland
Fyfield, Essex, UK
eamonn ledwidge should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have always liked these events. Instead of a Ten-tenths team, why not a Ten-tenths relay?

Then there is the opportunity to be selective re entrants - ie cut down on the number of Caterham and other 7 derived and lookalike vehicles, the proliferation of MGB's etc.

Panel of unbiased selectors required!
Old 21 Nov 2008, 16:40 (Ref:2339001)   #3
Tim the Grey
Veteran

Wales
Across the M40 from Gaydon...
Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!Tim the Grey has a real shot at the championship!
I'm gutted I missed this this year. It's a favourite event.
Old 21 Nov 2008, 16:57 (Ref:2339006)   #4
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by eamonn ledwidge
I have always liked these events. Instead of a Ten-tenths team, why not a Ten-tenths relay?

Then there is the opportunity to be selective re entrants - ie cut down on the number of Caterham and other 7 derived and lookalike vehicles, the proliferation of MGB's etc.

Panel of unbiased selectors required
That'll be Simon Drabble, John Ruston and Russian Roger
Old 22 Nov 2008, 14:21 (Ref:2339559)   #5
simon drabble
Veteran

simon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridsimon drabble should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I would be up for it next year - it is one of those races I keep forgetting about. Trouble is coming at the end of the season its a toss up as to which is more spent - the budget or the car!
Old 8 Dec 2008, 09:27 (Ref:2350113)   #6
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameJohn Turner will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
The Start

There were 55 cars lining up for the start. There are 27 of them in this pic!

Keith Dunn made a superb start in his Caterham (Nearly Six Sevens team)from the third row, taking all 4 cars in front of him along the pitlane wall and hitting the front long before Copse, and came through Woodcote to start the second lap in glorious isolation (well, almost!):-

Bill Rutter's Darvi Mk5B (750 Formula Fire Engines) makes ground and passes Dominic Jackson's Toyota MR2 Mk2 (Ginger Ninjas):-

Chris Palmer's XJS (Kutuka Motorsport), Simon Congdon's Triumph Spitfire (Spitfire Squadron), Barnaby Halse's BMW M3 (Munich Legends) and others!:-
Old 13 Dec 2008, 10:30 (Ref:2354112)   #7
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
More Pics!

I believe this to be Mark Lister in his Austin Healey Sprite, and a member of the 'Supersprites 2008' team who finished 45th on handicap, and 47th on scratch. Curious that their racing number sat between those two results!:-

Roger Kneebone's M5, a member of the 'Toyo Tires Racing Saloon' team of which 'our' John Willcocks was the (driving) team manager. They finished 31st on handicap and 20th on scratch:-

Not sure which Morgan this is but it is being chased out of Bridge by the BMW E30 320i, of Nigel Olive-Jones of the 'PBMW' team, 21st on handicap and 44th on scratch:-

The Mustang of David Greenback, a 'Grunties' team member. They came 38th (H) and 33rd (S):-

'Big Healey' team member, Eric Woolley, powers his out of the Abbey hairpin. The team came 40th (H) abd 30th (S):-

Coming in to said hairpin, Gary Fryer (M3) of the Harrow Car Club dives inside of the Vauxhall Nova of Pip Hammond, a member of the brilliantly named 'Birkett on a Budget' team. You can see that the Nova has locked up under braking, and once the BMW had passed, turned in still carrying a little too much speed resulting in a lurid moment which was nevertheless very well saved. Harrow Car Club came 43rd (H) and 22nd (S) whilst 'BoaB' finished 24th (H) and 49th (S):-
Old 13 Dec 2008, 11:41 (Ref:2354138)   #8
Tim Falce
Race Official
Veteran

England
Very edge of S E London almost in Kent
Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!Tim Falce is going for a new world record!
I think I posted them elsewhere but in case they have been missed here's my pictures from the day.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 09:45 (Ref:2359601)   #9
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
Well known Healey pedaller, Paul Campfield (51D) another member of the 'Big Healey' Team, leads Gary Feakins Peugeot 106 (20D - another BoaB member) while the Honda Integra R of Alan Wilshire (55E) of the Tortoise Stable Racing Team dives up the inside of both. The TSRT finished 35th (H) and 38th (S):-

Brian Branson's Lotus Elan of the 'Road Runners' They finished 52nd (H) and 35th (S):-

Jeremy Knight's D-Type Rep of 'The Grunties':-

Rob Smith's BMW E30 320i of the 'Days of Blunder' Team - 23rd(H) and 45th(S), with Paul Turley's Caterham 7 from 'Team Wacky Racers' - 16th (H) and 13th (S):-

The Porsche 911E of Paul Aslett of 'Ecurie Porumphorganda' who finished 54th (H) & 55th (S), with Dave Robson's SDAR/83, 'Old Gits on Speed' - 27th (H) & 28th (S):-

In the programme, 33D is a Caterham Mega Graduate driven by Keith Chanter, but this is clearly a Lancia Fulvia. The team called 'Dakar Devils' finished 44th (H) and 34th (S):-

Mark Braden's BMW E30 320i of the 'Gaz Shocks Production BMW' Team and I'm not typing that again - 11th (H) & 43rd (S):-

Dominic Jackson bins his Toyota MR2. A member of 'Ginger Ninjas' who finished 37th (H) and 42nd (S):-
Old 22 Dec 2008, 19:07 (Ref:2359832)   #10
jerryk
Racer

United Kingdom
jerryk should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Turner
Jeremy Knight's D-Type Rep of 'The Grunties':-

now you know exactley who i am John.
Old 22 Dec 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2359929)   #11
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
And I didn't before? These D Rep drivers get everywhere! At least 3 regulars on this site!
Old 23 Dec 2008, 10:39 (Ref:2360084)   #12
John Turner
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Pontesbury, Shropshire
John Hopwood, A/H Frogeye Sprite, 'Supersprites 2008', 45th (H), 47th (S):-

Andrew Harrison, XJS, 'Kutuka Motorsport', 2nd (H), 25th (S):

Andrew Todd, Crossle 9S, 'The Belfast Flyers', 51st (H), 24th (S):-

Ian Smyth, Triumph Spitfire, 'Spitfire Squadron', 20th (H), 54th (S):-

There were a few safety car periods, whilst beached cars were removed to safety:-

Looking like a proper old modsports car, Dominic Mooney's A/H Sprite, 'Team Spridget 50', 50th (H), 53rd (S):-

Cem Osman, BMW M3 DTM, 'Munich Legends', 39th (H), 16th (S):-

5C - Matthew Gillbanks, Caterham 7 Classic, 'Ecurie Graduates', 3rd (H), 32nd (S)
45C - Josh Smith, Sylva Phoenix R1, 'RGB West', 7th (H), 4th (S):-

I had hoped to finish this, the last of this year's pictorial reviews, before Christmas, but there are a few more pics to come, so I'm unlikely to complete this before the New Year now.