Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Racers Forum

Old 8 Dec 2008, 22:16 (Ref:2350538)   #1
Bibs
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Malling, Kent, UK
Bibs should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Noise...

Rather than changing my exhaust system entirely is there a way I can drop my noise level from 114dB to less than 105dB, any tricks?

Thanks guys
Old 8 Dec 2008, 22:23 (Ref:2350544)   #2
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Less revs?

Insert a silencer in the system, maybe even just at the end. There are plenty of boxes available from from places like Demon Tweaks and local car spares places. Although we've been lucky and never had to do this, normally we've just removed boxes and still been under the circuit sound limits.
Old 8 Dec 2008, 22:25 (Ref:2350547)   #3
Bibs
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Malling, Kent, UK
Sorry, I perhaps should have said I'm after a temporary solution, kind of a bolt on if available rather than a permanent change.

It's for a one off trackday, I just thought some of you folks would be experienced with such problems yourselves...
Old 8 Dec 2008, 22:27 (Ref:2350548)   #4
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
What car is it?
Old 8 Dec 2008, 23:00 (Ref:2350568)   #5
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
The SVA test is 101db and most road cars are supposed to be 89db. Although the police haven't any official testing equipment for use beside the road (that I know of)
As most of us that have had race cars for years will know , that the db level will alter from track to track depending on several variables, including the position of the vehicle and the operator of the meter.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 8 Dec 2008, 23:18 (Ref:2350585)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
So, park further away from the tester

Probably a silencer bolted on to the rear of the exhuast. You can always sell it afterwards, or do your neighbours a favour and keep it on

There is no point is a really short term fix for just the test, most track days have sensors around the track and will black flag you. Which will annoy!
Old 8 Dec 2008, 23:28 (Ref:2350592)   #7
andy robinson
Racer

United Kingdom
cramlington, northumberland
andy robinson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
you can buy various temp reducers/silencers from tweeks, ive used these's in the past
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...ode=JETU935130
or
http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/produc...de=MSD344-1705

or for a proper fix get a repackable silencer
Old 8 Dec 2008, 23:34 (Ref:2350594)   #8
GORDON STREETER
Veteran

Spain
Kent+Mojacar Spain, but not always ?
GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!GORDON STREETER is going for a new world record!
Agreed on that Adam its an ageism thing and its difficult to put an old head on new shoulders. Most MSV tracks are 105db with the Brands GP loop 101.
Balls of steel (knob of butter) They're Asking For Larkins. ( Proper beer) not you're Eurofizz crap. Hace más calor en España. Me han conocido a hablar un montón cojones! Send any cheques and cash to PO box 1 Lagos Nigeria Africa !
Old 9 Dec 2008, 08:27 (Ref:2350770)   #9
Bob Pearson
Veteran

Bob Pearson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I have a couple of early Formula Renault stainless steel silencers knocking about in the workshop for a modest sum if you want to pm me.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 09:26 (Ref:2350815)   #10
Stephen Green
Race Official
Veteran

England
Faversham, Kent
Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!Stephen Green has a real shot at the podium!
BiB's runs an early Lotis Esprit and having followed him home a week or two ago I can confirm it is way above the noise level for track days.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 09:36 (Ref:2350828)   #11
Bibs
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Malling, Kent, UK
Those Demon Tweeks one's could be the ticket. I can get a stock exhaust from Lotus but would rather avoid the hassle of changing it, thanks
Old 9 Dec 2008, 09:41 (Ref:2350833)   #12
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
I'm impressed that you have managed to get an Espirit that loud. Fair play!
Old 9 Dec 2008, 11:57 (Ref:2350917)   #13
Al Weyman
Veteran

England
South of Watford (just)
Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!Al Weyman has a real shot at the podium!
I have used and still have Supertrapps and yes they do work and have the advantages of (a) You can stick them on the end of the system, and (b) You can adjust by removing or replacing discs to get the level correct. The down side though and this is a definite despite what they may tell you and that is you will experience a loss off horse power.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 15:25 (Ref:2351006)   #14
JamesH
Veteran

United Kingdom
Christchurch, Cambs, UK
JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!JamesH has a real shot at the championship!
You could buy a old race motorbike silencer and bolt that on. They are pretty big bore and straight through. Usually some on Ebay at sensible prices (<£50)
Locost #54 Boldly Leaping where no car has gone before. And then being T-boned. Damn.
Survivor of the 2008 2CV 24h!! 2 engines, one accident, 76mph and rain.
Old 9 Dec 2008, 17:24 (Ref:2351103)   #15
AndyV
Racer

England
Somerset, where the cider apples grow
AndyV should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
You could try one of these
http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1...duct_info.html

But in my experience Bolt on short cans (and I suspect a supertrapp will be similar) will only give you around 3db reduction, max 5db it you're very lucky. I suspect to get from 114db to 105db a decent size silencer is required. You could try a fitting 90degree bend to your tailpipe then a silencer athwartships across the back end of the car.

http://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk/p1...duct_info.html

I've seen this done on a Castle Combe trackday car before. Messy looking but less expensive than the alternatives.

Andy

Last edited by AndyV; 9 Dec 2008 at 17:31.
Old 11 Dec 2008, 10:34 (Ref:2352469)   #16
CNHSS1
Rookie

United Kingdom
shrewsbury, shropshire
CNHSS1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
have a 'downturn' on the exit of the tailpipe, will often help the nosie testing device 'hear' a lower level, but only by a couple of dB generally
Old 11 Dec 2008, 10:37 (Ref:2352474)   #17
Bibs
Rookie

United Kingdom
West Malling, Kent, UK
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamAshmore
I'm impressed that you have managed to get an Espirit that loud. Fair play!
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Li-vWLeNU

Sounds lovely too, not just loud and you can hear the turbo blades spinning. No cat and Quicksilver SuperSports exhaust. It's arousing!
Old 13 Dec 2008, 17:57 (Ref:2354302)   #18
AU N EGL
Veteran

United States
Raleigh, North Carolina
AU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridAU N EGL should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bibs
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Li-vWLeNU

Sounds lovely too, not just loud and you can hear the turbo blades spinning. No cat and Quicksilver SuperSports exhaust. It's arousing!
That is not NOISE, that is Music.

Now that quicksilver car should have started its engine instead of just roll. No noise. What a waist of a sports car, no noise.
Old 13 Dec 2008, 18:14 (Ref:2354310)   #19
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Brum Brum Brrrrrrruummmmmm.
Old 17 Dec 2008, 17:22 (Ref:2357093)   #20
JohnD
Veteran

JohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridJohnD should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Buy/make a 'decibel insert'.
Tube that's a sliding fit inside the exhaust pipe end; tube inside that with wire wool packing between them. Fix in permanent tube by a big self tapper. Needs to be about nine inches long.

So cheap to make, that you can experiment with the relative inner and outer insert tubes and the amount of packing. Yes, you'll lose power, but it's only a track day.

John