Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Racing Talk > Marshals Forum

Old 2 Mar 2009, 16:57 (Ref:2407466)   #1
MonkeyDeath
Rookie

England
Southampton, hampshire
MonkeyDeath should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Where do you buy your Probans from?

i know i know this has been asked, but i dont think this has been asked and answered.

i've joined up to the BMMC as a member, which give me a discount with AWS, i looked at their site for sizes, and they only have S M L XL, which isnt really useful.

so i phoned, i'm ideally after the 2 piece suit as apposed ot the all in one jump suit.

told the bloke im 6ft 2-6ft 3 ish, with a 34 inside leg, 44-46 chest

the guy then said the jacket will be easy but with a 34inch linside leg this is a bit too ling for their standard stock and will have ot get them specially made?!?!? at a cost of £20ish on top of the trousers per pair

i dotn think im an odd size and was puzzled by them saying that 34 inch leg was and odd length/too ling, AWS go to a maximum of 32

now where else can i try who can cater for the tall (i didnt think i was abnormally tall)
Old 2 Mar 2009, 17:42 (Ref:2407495)   #2
MagnetON
Admin
Veteran

MagnetON
Dublin
MagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameMagnetON will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
AWS sizes run slightly larger than advertised, so you might get away with the XL size. I'm 6'2" and rather rotund and to be honest, getting them custom made for the extra £20 is worth it as you can specify more dimensions, such as chest etc.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 17:58 (Ref:2407504)   #3
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I brought off the peg overalls from AWS to save a few quid but as I've got a long body, compared to my legs, I had to get quite a large size so they're incredibly baggy-so get made to measure if you can afford it!
Old 2 Mar 2009, 18:31 (Ref:2407518)   #4
alimcb
Racer

Scotland
Northampton
alimcb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by arnage arnie View Post
I brought off the peg overalls from AWS to save a few quid but as I've got a long body, compared to my legs, I had to get quite a large size so they're incredibly baggy-so get made to measure if you can afford it!
I found AWS very helpful - I gave them my measurements and they recommended an off-the-peg size which has been OK for me. Mine were very baggy until I washed them the first time, now they seem fairly close to the size guide. Fortunately they haven't shrunk any more with subsequent washes so they should be OK long term, provided I stay off the beer and pork pies.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 18:51 (Ref:2407522)   #5
Matthews Dad
Veteran

England
Northwich
Matthews Dad should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyDeath View Post
i know i know this has been asked, but i dont think this has been asked and answered.

i've joined up to the BMMC as a member, which give me a discount with AWS, i looked at their site for sizes, and they only have S M L XL, which isnt really useful.

so i phoned, i'm ideally after the 2 piece suit as apposed ot the all in one jump suit.

told the bloke im 6ft 2-6ft 3 ish, with a 34 inside leg, 44-46 chest

the guy then said the jacket will be easy but with a 34inch linside leg this is a bit too ling for their standard stock and will have ot get them specially made?!?!? at a cost of £20ish on top of the trousers per pair

i dotn think im an odd size and was puzzled by them saying that 34 inch leg was and odd length/too ling, AWS go to a maximum of 32

now where else can i try who can cater for the tall (i didnt think i was abnormally tall)

HI

from your sizes given you could be my twin, although I think I have an inch on you inheight

I got my (one piece) from AWs a couple of years ago, and havign tried their standard 44 inch chect ones on which were too short in the body i spoke to them and got made to measure, as the sizing chart is on line was on line you can see all the measurements needed and they fit well

so if you can afford i would recommend it, as it is they should last many seasons
Old 2 Mar 2009, 19:02 (Ref:2407527)   #6
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
HairyDJ should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
highly recommend going for the made to measure option - just take care to take all the measurements that they ask for when you're wearing the clothes you'll go marshalling in. If you're going to have long johns and several jumpers underneath, then they need some space - I took a couple of my measurements a bit tight and sometimes struggle to get them off my shoulders, so maybe worth telling them whether you want a figure hugging lycra look on the bank or a bit of comfort space and room for the pork pie belly to expand.
Old 2 Mar 2009, 19:24 (Ref:2407541)   #7
Nighthawk
Veteran

United Kingdom
Swindon, Wiltshire
Nighthawk has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Made to measure option .. AWS Everytime Worth it in th end....
Old 2 Mar 2009, 19:27 (Ref:2407545)   #8
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
got mine from aws, asked for xxl as I am 6'4" and 18 stone (fat git) fit great even with 2 t-shirts and a fleece underneath. havent washed them yet
Old 2 Mar 2009, 19:52 (Ref:2407559)   #9
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
As MagnetON and others have already pointed out, you can use the 'made to measure' option from AWS which will allow you to specify many more measurements for your overalls. Print out their custom order form (click here) and then give them a call with your sizes. You'll probably need another pair of hands to help you with the measuring tape - although make sure it's someone who won't mind measuring your crotch rise...
Old 2 Mar 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2407613)   #10
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Steven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridSteven Humphrey should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Should've added that the guy at AWS was very helpful-he asked for several measurements before recommending an off the peg size and he was spot on-any smaller and I would give myself a wedgie everytime I raised my arms

The extra room is also good for several layers of clothing, pies, beer etc.
Old 3 Mar 2009, 18:19 (Ref:2408297)   #11
pauwilson
Racer

Scotland
East Kilbride
pauwilson should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by aland View Post
havent washed them yet
havent done enough work then!!
Old 3 Mar 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2408332)   #12
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauwilson View Post
havent done enough work then!!
dont have magnetic qualities for race cars, you know me mate hardest work I get on post is sweeping a bit of gravel
Old 3 Mar 2009, 20:00 (Ref:2408354)   #13
The Hat
Rookie

England
Canterbury
The Hat should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I noticed you said you were going for the 2 piece, any reason for this apart from ease when nature calls?
I think you'll find the overalls a lot warmer, no gaps for the wind to whistle through!!!
I am lucky that I am near enough to AWS to call round & both times I've been they have been very helpful
Old 4 Mar 2009, 13:44 (Ref:2408820)   #14
bonjour
Rookie

England
Clanville, Hants.
bonjour should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
waterproof coat

The time has come when I need to buy a new orange waterproof coat, does any know the best & cheapest place to buy one.

Thanks
Old 4 Mar 2009, 14:05 (Ref:2408835)   #15
m1fcf
Veteran

United Kingdom
m1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridm1fcf should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjour View Post
The time has come when I need to buy a new orange waterproof coat, does any know the best & cheapest place to buy one.

Thanks
Santa brought me mine last year - so I can't remember the exact price, but he did visit ARCO and thought it was reasonable!!

http://www.arco.co.uk/index

Having worm it last weekend, it was nice and warm with large outerpockets and a very large pouch/pocket inside the left hand side of the coat.

If I remember, I'll dig out the brand of it to help you when I get home tonight.
Old 4 Mar 2009, 16:48 (Ref:2408937)   #16
numbersix
Pie On 'ere
Veteran

England
Smaug. Desolation of.
numbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famenumbersix will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthews Dad View Post
from your sizes given you could be my twin, although I think I have an inch on you inheight ...
You've got an inch on the Empire State Building ... and Matthew's catching up!

Phil
Old 6 Mar 2009, 08:36 (Ref:2410135)   #17
MonkeyDeath
Rookie

England
Southampton, hampshire
cheers for the replys.

i dont want ot say money isnt an issue, but i dont mind paying the extra for the "made to measure" but if i didnt have to (ie another supplier more likly to have my size) i would have preffered.

also the reason i want a 2 piece is personal choice, i used ot weare overalls all the time, and found them uncomfortable, and struggled with my height and getting ones that fit, (too baggy) also if i get them bigger to take clothes for the cold days, when its warm they will be too baggy, and if i get them the right size it will be harder to layer up in the cold days.

it just seemed a better choice. i cant see myself getting cold with the 2 piece, and if i do i'll just put on the bigger coat 3/4 length one
Old 6 Apr 2009, 08:20 (Ref:2434848)   #18
MonkeyDeath
Rookie

England
Southampton, hampshire
Sorry to bump this thread but in getting rather annoyed now.

just phoned AWS to get a 1 peice overalls, their standard ones, he asked for my height and being 6'2 i got a sharp intake of breath, he then asked for my chest (44) and inside leg (34ish) and was told that i could buy one of his suits but he would prefer a made to measure,

personally i think this is laughable, i've seen marshalls as tall and taller with non made ot measure, but i didnt bother asking what sizes they got.

so i am ask the marshalls of the UK who are similar size and where they got tiehr overalls, i would like to get made ot measure, but wanting ot get waterproofs etc, it will get expensive quickly, the standard ones that AWS supply at £39.99+vat is the top of my limit for now

Height 6'2"
Chest 44-46
Waist 36-38
inside leg 32-34
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:13 (Ref:2434890)   #19
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
Hopefully, my thoughts below will not only help you, but also guide other newcomers who search the archives over the next few years?

I'm not far off your sizes : 6'1" / 43" / 40" / 33" and bought a fitted one piece from AWS 2 years ago. I also have a one piece AWS size 50 which was a much appreciated gesture from the Britcar folk last year.

The Britcar suit is now firmly relegated to my "spares box" - perfectly OK (and rather good value as it was free!), but when I'm out there all day I get a bit fussy about some of the finer points. My fitted suit has more pockets, pen holders and little bits like that - really miss them when I put on the spares. I also found that the size 50 was a bit roomy around my hips - not ideal as I tended to scrunch up the waist when I put on a tool belt.

At the end of the day, the choice has to be yours - an extra 20 or 30 quid over the life of the set is well worth it in my opinion. If you go for something cheaper then I suspect that after a while you will end up replacing them with what you will probably wish you bought in the first place.

I would agree with you about the cost of waterproofs - we both kitted out from our local market for half that price, and got to try them on for the best fit too. Next time though, I will be looking for trousers that have a zip at the ankle - the current ones simply won't slip on over my solid boots & when it starts to rain (or dry out and get hot) I really don't want to take my boots off to fit / remove the waterproof legs.

I would suggest that you step back a little and look at how you see yourself marshaling for the next couple of years. I have never regretted paying for a good fitted suit, good boots, decent hat and all the other odds and ends that I have built up a collection of to make life out there on a bad day just a bit more tolerable. Similarly, I don't skimp on the food & drink on the day - rather take a bit home than run out on the day and get miserable.

If you are genuinely short of cash, rather than just concerned about getting good value, then I would suggest that you cross just one event off your proposed list - bingo you've saved the fuel etc and that should cover the cost of the fitted kit.

Please don't feel that the folk at AWS are trying to rip you off by steering you towards fitted - accept it as sound advice from a small firm who really seem to care about marshals & give us the best (BMMC) deal that they can. They rushed my kit through for me when I asked at short notice and having been down to collect the suits in person, I can assure you that the workshop is neat & efficient, but it's not luxurious with a Ferrari in the bosses parking space

Go for it!

Cheers, David
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:15 (Ref:2434893)   #20
Dave Brand
Veteran

England
Hadfield, Derbyshire (UK)
Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!Dave Brand is going for a new lap record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HairyDJ View Post
I have never regretted paying for a good fitted suit, good boots, decent hat and all the other odds and ends
You call that a decent hat?
Old 6 Apr 2009, 09:22 (Ref:2434901)   #21
HairyDJ
Veteran

England
Milton Keynes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Brand View Post
You call that a decent hat?
Good enough for you to remember me in it - looks so much better with a warm woolly one underneath the big white floppy thing (oo-er missus!)
Old 6 Apr 2009, 11:08 (Ref:2434982)   #22
Steven Humphrey
Veteran

England
cambridgeshire
Remember if you're a BMMC member you get subsidies from Mike Newton and now myracecar.com (or someone like that!)-you just need to send your receipt to Sue Whitlock. Regarding the suit issue with AWS -the bigger sizes get taller AND wider, so if you are tall and average build, they will be very baggy. I'm similiar size to you but 2" shorter and have a size 52 off the peg suit and it's baggy around the hips and backside, so a suit to fit your height would be roomy, to say the least! I will definately get made to measure next time (I got off the peg to save a few quid aswell) as they will fit perfectly-there are several measurements taken to ensure they do. It's not AWS being awkward-they just want to supply you with the best option.