Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > General Forums > Virtual Racers

Old 14 Apr 2009, 00:59 (Ref:2440133)   #1
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Radelaide, South Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Gran Turismo Racing Series 5

That's right, everyone. It doesn't seem that long since Season 4 ended and already we're back with Season 5. Before we begin with explaining the new rules, new rounds, and new cars, for this series, let's have a quick re-cap of Season 4.

Season 4 started off with a brand new winner in the form of PK Kart, taking a very convincing win in Round 1. However, come the next round he was way off the pace, leaving Rich07 to pick up the pieces to take the championship lead. Over the next 5 rounds, we saw a total of 3 drivers share the honours of winning a round, with White flag man, PK Kart and surprise debutant hitchcockm00 sharing two round wins each. Come Round 6, and things were all tied up between White flag man and Rich07 on 60 points each, with PK Kart dropping out in the final stages of the championship. However, once everyone's worst round had been deducted, White flag man was left on top by 3 points over a very consistent Rich07.

So this year, the big red target has been painted firmly on White flag man's door. Everyone's out to pull the championship trophy from White flag man's hands. Who will emerge victorious? It's time to find out...

This season we will see a few changes in the rules of the series. A new points system, and a new way the championship will be run, not to mention the new tracks and for the first time ever in the GTRS, a single-car championship.

GRAN TURISMO RACING SERIES 5 - RULES
1. CARS
This season, there is only one car available to use. It must be used at every round, no excuses!

So, this season's car is...

BMW M3 GTR Race Car '01

To win this car, simply win all three races in the Schwarzwald League A.

2. RACES
The following rules will apply to ALL RACES:
  • All races will be in Arcade Mode. Races will be run in Single Race mode.
  • You may use automatic or manual transmission.
  • You may use only SOFT or HARD tyres for each race. Super Soft, Medium and Super Hard tyres are not permitted. You can mix tyre compounds on your car if you wish (eg. Soft tyres on the front, Medium tyres on the rear). Tyre wear must be set to MILD.
  • You may Quick Tune your car as you see fit for each race.
  • You may set the opponent difficulty to your own liking for each race.
  • You may make as many or as little pitstops as you wish during races.
3. POINTS AND CHAMPIONSHIP
The following points system applies to all races:
  • 1st Place = 13 Points
  • 2nd Place = 10 Points
  • 3rd Place = 8 Points
  • 4th Place = 6 Points
  • 5th Place = 5 Points
  • 6th Place = 4 Points
  • 7th Place = 3 Points
  • 8th Place = 2 Points
All other competitors who submit a time will recieve 1 point.

This season, there will be 8 Rounds making up the championship. All competitors have two 'wildcards' at their disposal.

The first is the 'Free Pass'. The Free Pass gives each competitor a chance to not submit their time for a round but still recieve 1 point. So, if you don't have the time to complete a round of the championship, simply post in this thread or PM me that you want to use your 'Free Pass'. Every competitor has one Free Pass, and it MUST be used by Round 7, the penultimate round of the Championship. If you haven't used it by then, your time for Round 7 will be invalid and you will recieve only 1 point.

This comes in handy if there are any circuits you don't like in the calender... And I hope it all makes sense.

The second wildcard is the 'Joker'. The Joker allows you to receive double points for any round you wish (excluding the final round). To use your Joker, post it either in this thread or tell me when you PM me your time that you wish to use your Joker. Like the Free Pass, you can't use it for the final round. If you haven't used it by Round 7, your points for Round 7 will automatically be doubled.

If there are any questions about either of these, please tell me. I haven't tried anything like this in the GTRS before so I expect there to be a few 'teething' problems.

4. ENTERING AND SUBMITTING TIMES
The 5th Gran Turismo Racing Series will begin at 12:00AM GMT, on Monday, May 4th. Entries will be taken at any time upto that point and at any time during the series. To enter, post your username and Team Name into this thread. An example would be this:

Chatters
GTRS Motorsport

Once the series begins on the Monday, you will have until 11:59PM GMT the following Sunday to complete the round and submit your time. The results will then be published on Monday, or as soon as I can (keep in mind I have University and work ), and the next round will begin, etc. etc. To submit your time, send me a Private Message with the following information:
  • Username
  • Total Time
PLEASE NOTE: If your submission does not include this information it will not be counted!

Late times WILL be penalised unless you have a good excuse! Please ensure you don't leave it until the last minute.

One final note: Please remember as always guys that this competition is only for fun. There are no prizes, so no need for anyone to cheat to win. Honesty keeps this series fun, remember that.

So, without further adeu, let the 5th Gran Turismo Racing Series begin! Thanks for all your support, and happy racing!

"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 14 Apr 2009, 08:24 (Ref:2440253)   #2
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
West Hampstead, North London
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Pull as hard as you like. The trophy's mine I tell you, ALL MINE!!!
Old 14 Apr 2009, 08:50 (Ref:2440269)   #3
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Sounds good to me Chatters

I'm in.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 08:58 (Ref:2440277)   #4
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Chatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridChatters should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
You may use only SOFT or HARD tyres for each race. Super Soft, Medium and Super Hard tyres are not permitted. You can mix tyre compounds on your car if you wish (eg. Soft tyres on the front, Medium tyres on the rear). Tyre wear must be set to MILD.
Should read (eg. Soft tyres on the front, hard tyres on the rear)...
"A lot of people go through life doing things badly. Racing’s important to men who do it well. When you’re racing, it... it’s life. Anything that happens before or after... is just waiting." - Steve McQueen
Old 14 Apr 2009, 10:53 (Ref:2440352)   #5
steve_r
Veteran

Lord Howe Island
European Capital of Culture 2008
steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!steve_r is going for a new world record!
I'm in.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 13:07 (Ref:2440457)   #6
Grandprix
Rookie

Grandprix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Grandprix
Grandprix Team

Okay, if everyone could use their Free Pass at the same time and I'll use my Joker for a certain race win, I'd appreciate it.
Old 14 Apr 2009, 15:44 (Ref:2440562)   #7
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandprix View Post
Grandprix
Grandprix Team

Okay, if everyone could use their Free Pass at the same time and I'll use my Joker for a certain race win, I'd appreciate it.
At least you understood all my rambling!

So, what does everyone think of the rules, cars, etc?
Old 14 Apr 2009, 20:09 (Ref:2440762)   #8
ezepze
Racer

Australia
south 'o' th border
ezepze should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
The joker and free pass add a bit of tactical thinking to the mix for this round

ezepze
clockwork racing

I just hope race 8 is at a track i like
Old 14 Apr 2009, 21:36 (Ref:2440836)   #9
tlongman
Racer

United States
New Jersey
tlongman should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I'm in...

tlongman
Off Camber Motorsports
Old 15 Apr 2009, 01:13 (Ref:2440960)   #10
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
I'm in!!

rich07
Richo Racing Squadron

One question though, have the round/tracks been determined yet?? I'm not seeing them in Chatter's series formation post. I'm liking the wildcard ideas, more so the Joker then the Free Pass, cant wait to see how this unfolds.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 10:19 (Ref:2441205)   #11
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
The calender hasn't been revealed yet. It will be revealed on the day the series starts (so in a couple of weeks ).
Old 15 Apr 2009, 13:29 (Ref:2441369)   #12
Grandprix
Rookie

Grandprix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
At least you understood all my rambling!

So, what does everyone think of the rules, cars, etc?
I would like to have seen some kind of leveller like success ballast as I'll probably be crawling around at the back again but we can't have it all.
Old 15 Apr 2009, 19:16 (Ref:2441665)   #13
Burnsie
Official Timekeeper!
Veteran

Burnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridBurnsie should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I've only got GT5 Prologue Had GT4, but I gave it away when I sold my PS2... with hindsight, that might have been a bit daft.
Old 16 Apr 2009, 08:55 (Ref:2442030)   #14
BertMk2
Race Official
Veteran

United Kingdom
Nr Maidstone, Kent
BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!BertMk2 is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnsie View Post
I've only got GT5 Prologue Had GT4, but I gave it away when I sold my PS2... with hindsight, that might have been a bit daft.
At this point ebay is your friend
Old 16 Apr 2009, 21:24 (Ref:2442563)   #15
hitchcockm00
Racer

England
Exeter
hitchcockm00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Hitchcockm00
Write-Off Racing.

With the free pass, does everyone have to use that? Even if they like every track and will be able to compete in every round?
Old 16 Apr 2009, 23:12 (Ref:2442631)   #16
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
White flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridWhite flag man should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
White flag man
Best Man Wins racing
Old 17 Apr 2009, 01:06 (Ref:2442670)   #17
ezepze
Racer

Australia
south 'o' th border
"Every competitor has one Free Pass, and it MUST be used by Round 7, the penultimate round of the Championship. If you haven't used it by then, your time for Round 7 will be invalid and you will receive only 1 point."

Has the same effect as dropping your lowest scoring race
Old 17 Apr 2009, 12:39 (Ref:2443020)   #18
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
Hitchcock, at the moment, yes. I think it would be unfair to those who do use it if people didn't use it and scored more points...

If you have any ideas I'm more then welcome to hear them. It's a bit of a new thing for me to so it's bound not to be perfect...

EDIT: Seems I missed ezepze's post. Yeah, it's pretty much what he said.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2443284)   #19
hitchcockm00
Racer

England
Exeter
hitchcockm00 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by ezepze View Post
"Every competitor has one Free Pass, and it MUST be used by Round 7, the penultimate round of the Championship. If you haven't used it by then, your time for Round 7 will be invalid and you will receive only 1 point."

Has the same effect as dropping your lowest scoring race
Not if you score your best result in Round 7 and haven't used the free pass yet. In that situation you end up dropping your best score.

Giving people the option to miss a round and still score a point is a good idea, it just seems a little unfair to punish those who race every round and score more than one point.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2443376)   #20
ezepze
Racer

Australia
south 'o' th border
hmmmm

having re-read the rules i still like the idea of the free pass
instead of dropping your worst round after the event ( when you know which race is the lowest scoring ) the free pass forces you to make a tactical decision before or during the event and guess which race is going to be the lowest scoring.

I think it, and the joker, add a bit of variety to the series.
Its just tough if my best race is 7 and i havent used my free pass so i have to drop it.
Old 17 Apr 2009, 22:36 (Ref:2443377)   #21
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatters View Post
Hitchcock, at the moment, yes. I think it would be unfair to those who do use it if people didn't use it and scored more points...

If you have any ideas I'm more then welcome to hear them. It's a bit of a new thing for me to so it's bound not to be perfect...

EDIT: Seems I missed ezepze's post. Yeah, it's pretty much what he said.
Chatters,
Surely this should be a bonus for people who, for whatever reason, have to miss a round, not a punishment for those who don't.
Old 20 Apr 2009, 01:22 (Ref:2445097)   #22
Denosaur
Veteran

Albania
Australia
Denosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridDenosaur should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Count me in!!

Denosaur
Velociraptor Performance Industries
Old 20 Apr 2009, 11:40 (Ref:2445412)   #23
Chatters
Veteran

Australia
How about... People that need to use the Free Pass are allowed to use it once, and those who don't simply drop their worst round (upto and including Round 7)...?

Don't know how fair that sounds, but...
Old 21 Apr 2009, 08:19 (Ref:2446105)   #24
White flag man
Veteran

Greenland
Much better Chatters.
Old 21 Apr 2009, 10:51 (Ref:2446214)   #25
ezepze
Racer

Australia
south 'o' th border