Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Sportscar & GT Racing

Old 12 May 2009, 17:10 (Ref:2461059)   #1
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
WMUCarGuy should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Going on a tour of Pratt & Miller's shop today!

I'm extremely pumped! I know a guy that works there and since I'm home visiting family, I thought I'd give him a call and see if a tour is possible, and I'm going today! He told me they have the wind tunnel model of the LMP1 that never was in the lobby so I'm pretty excited to see that and hopefully the new GT2 car will be there too!

If anyone has any questions they'd like me to ask while I'm there, feel free to post them here.
Old 12 May 2009, 17:57 (Ref:2461100)   #2
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Man, that sounds like fun. I hope you get to take pictures!
Old 12 May 2009, 20:24 (Ref:2461200)   #3
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Just got back, and man that place is IMPRESSIVE! It was pretty cool that Dan Binks recognized me when we were walking around the shop. I was able to take photos in the lobby, but not back in the shops. In the lobby they had a GTO.R, GXP.R, and CTS-V SGT car surrounded by hundreds of trophies. They also had a few scale models of old SRP/Group C cars.

The coolest thing they had in the lobby was the wind tunnel model of the Corvette LMP1 car that never was. The thing looked AMAZING! I'm pumped for GT2, but that LMP1 would have been amazing. It looked similar to the one that the ACO put out in that drawing, but MUCH better. Definitely had a LOT of Corvette in it, but was MUCH more than any Corvette I've ever seen. I'm waiting on confirmation from my buddy who works there on whether I can share those pics or not.

Then we went all throughout the facility going through the offices (of which the walls are covered in all kinds of P&M artwork), design shop, the fab shop (where the 2nd GT2 chassis was being built), as well as some other things they're into were being worked on. The next bay was the race shop where they did all of the carbon work (P&M now does all of their own carbon fiber whereas they sourced it out previously). A few guys were applying the resin on a GT2 rear fascia and there was pristine looking GT2 bodywork all over the place.

The next bay featured C5-R #004 (2 x Petit Le Mans winner) that was being restored for its next owner, a spare GXP.R, and several C6RS road cars in various stages of build. After that, the next bay featured the 2 GT1 C6.Rs being prepped for Le Mans. All of the teams' gear has already been shipped to France (and the operation will be MUCH smaller than in previous years), the cars will be shipped later. They also had a GT2 motor sitting around (which is no longer made by Katech, but by GM Skunkworks out of the GM Performance parts catalog. They were also tearing down a new GT2 transmission, which I was told is much more compact than the GT1 cars'. Unfortunately the 1st GT2 car was out being tested somewhere so I didn't get a look at it, but everyone seems extremely excited for it!

All in all, it was an awesome tour and I would recommend anyone that has the opportunity to take one themselves.
Old 12 May 2009, 21:04 (Ref:2461228)   #4
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
I've been round the prodrive facilities - completely different racing culture!

Looks great, glad you enjoyed it. Is it a big facility?
Old 12 May 2009, 21:20 (Ref:2461244)   #5
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
I've been round the prodrive facilities - completely different racing culture!

Looks great, glad you enjoyed it. Is it a big facility?

This should give you an idea on the scope of the facility.Here

L.P.
Old 12 May 2009, 21:32 (Ref:2461249)   #6
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Gingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameGingers4Justice will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Cheers for the link.

Yeh, that pretty big alright.

Excuse my ignorance, but where are those Cadillacs raced?
Old 12 May 2009, 21:34 (Ref:2461251)   #7
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Speed World Challenge GT, suppossedly originally designed for ALMS GT2, though.
Old 12 May 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2461258)   #8
Gingers4Justice
Veteran

United Kingdom
Highbury, London
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Speed World Challenge GT, suppossedly originally designed for ALMS GT2, though.
How were they ever going to race a 4-door saloon in gt2?
Old 12 May 2009, 21:51 (Ref:2461266)   #9
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingers4Justice View Post
How were they ever going to race a 4-door saloon in gt2?
GT2S, I'd guess. Didn't the Lexus that never raced have 4 doors as well?
Old 12 May 2009, 21:56 (Ref:2461270)   #10
HORNDAWG
Veteran

United States
Oregon
HORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridHORNDAWG should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
GT2S, I'd guess. Didn't the Lexus that never raced have 4 doors as well?
Yes.

L.P.
Old 12 May 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2461272)   #11
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by HORNDAWG View Post
Yes, and BMW had 4 doors.

L.P.
When did an ALMS BMW ever have 4 doors? I don't think they ever did...
Old 13 May 2009, 00:05 (Ref:2461334)   #12
Fogelhund
Veteran

Canada
Binbrook, ON Canada
Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!Fogelhund has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
When did an ALMS BMW ever have 4 doors? I don't think they ever did...
http://www.mosport.com/photos/alms99-10.jpg
Old 13 May 2009, 00:06 (Ref:2461336)   #13
rich07
Veteran

Australia
Victoria
rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!rich07 has a real shot at the podium!
Wow you lucky guy WMU carguy, nice lobby there, shame you couldnt take photos in the shop but I can understand why. P&M should open a trophy shop lol. I hope your allowed to share your photo of the LMP1 model with us.

@ Gingers For Justice, what do you mean by different culture at Prodrive, if I may ask?
Old 13 May 2009, 00:11 (Ref:2461339)   #14
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich07 View Post
Wow you lucky guy WMU carguy, nice lobby there, shame you couldnt take photos in the shop but I can understand why. P&M should open a trophy shop lol. I hope your allowed to share your photo of the LMP1 model with us.

@ Gingers For Justice, what do you mean by different culture at Prodrive, if I may ask?
As soon as my buddy who works there gives me the go-ahead, I'll post them. The thing really looks wicked!
Old 13 May 2009, 00:41 (Ref:2461350)   #15
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
They also gave me the 2007 and 2008 P&M Yearbooks. Both are very professionally done books chronicalling the company's racing triumphs from the past 2 seasons with Corvette Racing, Pontiac Grand Am stuff, and CTS-V Speed GT stuff. The 2007 one is about 130 pages and it'll be a great coffee table addition!
Old 13 May 2009, 01:30 (Ref:2461357)   #16
joeb
Race Official
Veteran

United States
Baton Rouge, LA
joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!joeb is the undisputed Champion of the World!
Quote:
Originally Posted by WMUCarGuy View Post
They also gave me the 2007 and 2008 P&M Yearbooks. Both are very professionally done books chronicalling the company's racing triumphs from the past 2 seasons with Corvette Racing, Pontiac Grand Am stuff, and CTS-V Speed GT stuff. The 2007 one is about 130 pages and it'll be a great coffee table addition!
Sounds like it was a great tour, and you got to see some of the new parts for the GT2 that's pretty cool.
Old 13 May 2009, 15:13 (Ref:2461728)   #17
Aslak Vind
Veteran

Denmark
Copenhagen
Aslak Vind should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Awesome pictures, thank you
Old 14 May 2009, 00:12 (Ref:2462073)   #18
Félix
Veteran

MagnetON
Québec
Félix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridFélix should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
While we're on the subject, I'll ask the question again:

Anyone know what this is? It's a puzzling picture on P&M's website. http://prattmiller.smugmug.com/popul...77554464_LKRcT Unlike the other pictures in the gallery, this one is not captionned...

It looks like the first R&S MkIII concept, but with a 1999+ roll-hoop. That would be when the Corvette project was all new... unless they worked on a solution for the Cadillac LMP (a radical one!)?
Old 14 May 2009, 01:44 (Ref:2462092)   #19
WMUCarGuy
Veteran

United States
Quote:
Originally Posted by Félix View Post
While we're on the subject, I'll ask the question again:

Anyone know what this is? It's a puzzling picture on P&M's website. http://prattmiller.smugmug.com/popul...77554464_LKRcT Unlike the other pictures in the gallery, this one is not captionned...

It looks like the first R&S MkIII concept, but with a 1999+ roll-hoop. That would be when the Corvette project was all new... unless they worked on a solution for the Cadillac LMP (a radical one!)?
Yea, it's an old R&S SRP prototype. They had a scale model of it in the lobby as well, but fI forgot to get a shot of it.