Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Single Seater Racing > Formula One

Old 12 Jul 2009, 14:59 (Ref:2500175)   #1
F1Pete
Veteran

Canada
Sudbury, Ontario, Canada
F1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridF1Pete should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Did Kimi deserve a penalty?

Kimi was under investigation after the race with the incident with Sutil. To me it didn't look bad at all and I call it a "racing" incident.

I truly believe Mark when he said he didn't even know Rubens was there when he explained what happened. Watching the initial replay, it almost looked intentional and I can see why he received a penalty. Coulthard did not see it that way at the time. However, DC did say KR should get a penalty for what he did.

How do u think the stewards would have handled it? I can see the Sutil camp out for Kimi's head. Maybe they will assist in buying out KR's contract.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 15:01 (Ref:2500177)   #2
the.cosmic.pope
Veteran

Scotland
Arbroath
the.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridthe.cosmic.pope should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It wasn't even a racing incident. Kimi drove right to the edge of the circuit, was ahead of Sutil at the point of contact, and Sutil effectively just drove into the side of him.

I think Sutil drove brilliantly and deserved more than he got, but the accident was his own fault.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 15:03 (Ref:2500178)   #3
Pro Racer
Veteran

Australia
Earth
Pro Racer should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
IMO if you penalise Webber you have to penalise Mr Mumbles, both racing incidents though but can't penalise 1 and not the other, atleast Rubens lived to fight another day, Adrian didn't.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 15:12 (Ref:2500190)   #4
brands
Veteran

brands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridbrands should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
I'm surprised Sutil wasn't given a penalty since the incident was the same as the Bourdais' clash with Massa last season in Japan.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 15:19 (Ref:2500196)   #5
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by the.cosmic.pope View Post
It wasn't even a racing incident. Kimi drove right to the edge of the circuit, was ahead of Sutil at the point of contact, and Sutil effectively just drove into the side of him.

I think Sutil drove brilliantly and deserved more than he got, but the accident was his own fault.
Very fair summary. That first corner is quite evil, though, e.g. Lewis and Mark on the first lap.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 15:59 (Ref:2500221)   #6
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
The two incidents were different. One on the straight, one in the corner. One involved a driver who subsequently retired and we await the decision, the other could be satisfied in the race.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 16:07 (Ref:2500228)   #7
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Kimi knew that Sutil was there for sure, his onboard show's the Force India to his right, maybe Kimi expected Sutil to move over to the right abit more?

Note to Sutil, next time your in a points paying position, steer clear of Kimi! Third time lucky next time aye?
Old 12 Jul 2009, 17:28 (Ref:2500270)   #8
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Racing incident, I thought. They took different lines through the corner, but arrived at the same place at the same time on exiting. I'm sure either could've conceded the corner and backed out, but I find it difficult to apportion blame either way.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2500277)   #9
Marbot
Retired
20KPINAL

United Kingdom
Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!Marbot is going for a new lap record!
Stewards say "racing incident".

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76937
Old 12 Jul 2009, 17:48 (Ref:2500282)   #10
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!Adam43 is the undisputed Champion of the World!
I'm glad about that. We should want people to be side by side in corners, giving each other (just) enough room. If they are scared of penalties then it won't happen.

On the straight mind...
Old 12 Jul 2009, 18:18 (Ref:2500294)   #11
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Frustrating as the Kimi/Sutil incident was for us all, apportioning blame would have been the wrong outcome. The Webber incident was a little more clear cut, but again very marginal in my opinion. We expect drivers to go wheel to wheel off the start and we also expect them to do it through corners. This is supposed to be motor racing after all. Incidents will happen and unless there's deliberate intent there, they should be put down to racing incidents.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 20:45 (Ref:2500364)   #12
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!strider has a real shot at the championship!
The thing I find refreshing about this incident is that neither driver tried to blame the other; both said it was a racing incident and the Stewards accepted that. Sutil has earned major brownie points from me.

It was also a wise decision to investigate the incident after the race.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 20:46 (Ref:2500365)   #13
ukaskew
Racer

ukaskew should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
More than anything I'm shocked they decided to leave the decision until after the race, more than enough time to make a fair assessment in my opinion, Webber's punishment was dished out fairly quickly.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 20:47 (Ref:2500367)   #14
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post
Sutil has earned major brownie points from me.
If you look back through his entire career you'll see that this is typical of the guy. He's THE most decent driver in F1 at the moment and is deserving of a lot more. Until that incident he was holding his own and could have pulled off the drive of the season. '1F'
Old 12 Jul 2009, 21:39 (Ref:2500395)   #15
Adam43
14th
1% Club

European Union
New Orleans
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukaskew View Post
More than anything I'm shocked they decided to leave the decision until after the race, more than enough time to make a fair assessment in my opinion, Webber's punishment was dished out fairly quickly.
I just couldn't believe it, in this day and age.
Old 12 Jul 2009, 22:02 (Ref:2500400)   #16
Mr V
Veteran

England
The city of bridges (one day!)
Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!Mr V has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by strider View Post

It was also a wise decision to investigate the incident after the race.
Does anyone on this site know why one incident (Webber/Barrichello) is investigated during the race, while the other(Kimi/Sutil) was to be investigated after the race? Surely an incident is an incident?
Old 12 Jul 2009, 22:30 (Ref:2500417)   #17
mattt
Veteran

England
Cambridge
mattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridmattt should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Shortly after it was announced it was being investigated didn't kimi retire from the race.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 13:16 (Ref:2500831)   #18
strider
Ten-Tenths Hall of Fame
Veteran

England
Middle Earth
Yes, that's true, but I think there were at least two other factors, both of which have already been mentioned.

Th first is that it happened in the first corner, with one car exiting the pits and the other trying to stay ahead. so...
Quote:
Originally Posted by brands View Post
I'm surprised Sutil wasn't given a penalty since the incident was the same as the Bourdais' clash with Massa last season in Japan.
Secondly Webber was penalised for the straight-line clash with Barrichello. He was given no penalty for the clash in turn one with Hamilton which destroyed Hamilton's race. It wasn't even mentioned.

Just for interest, matter-of-fact quote by Kimi:
Quote:
"The incident with Sutil? These things happen in racing, we spoke to one another and I think that he also sees it that way, as indeed did the Stewards."
Old 13 Jul 2009, 15:38 (Ref:2500897)   #19
VIVA GT
Veteran

England
Leicestershire
VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!VIVA GT is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
Does anyone on this site know why one incident (Webber/Barrichello) is investigated during the race, while the other(Kimi/Sutil) was to be investigated after the race? Surely an incident is an incident?
I agree, despite what has been said, I don't understand why the two incidents were treated differently, it's yet another inconsistent decision by the stewards. (The fact that Kimi retired later in not significant either. When it was announced that the collision would be investigated after the race, Kimi was still running).
Old 13 Jul 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2500901)   #20
Super Hans
Veteran

United Kingdom
Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!Super Hans is going for a new world record!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr V View Post
It was easy to attribute blame in the first incident.

The latter was not so clear cut, so they probably decided to speak to the drivers involved before making a decision.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 11:51 (Ref:2501511)   #21
Clive
Veteran

England
Westcott
Clive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridClive should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Are the red cars still favoured then??
Old 14 Jul 2009, 12:04 (Ref:2501520)   #22
Alan Raine
Veteran

England
Hale, Cheshire
Alan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridAlan Raine should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clive View Post
Are the red cars still favoured then??
No
Old 14 Jul 2009, 12:30 (Ref:2501541)   #23
JeremySmith
Veteran

United Kingdom
Austin Texas
JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!JeremySmith is going for a new world record!
Racing incident pure and simple...
Old 14 Jul 2009, 22:49 (Ref:2501918)   #24
Dutton
Veteran

United Nations
Not Much North of Montana
Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!Dutton has a real shot at the podium!
I still don't see why it even got flagged for investigation in the first place. It just appeared, to me, to be one of those things when it happened. However, it seems that practically everything in F1 has to be seen as a potential crime.
Old 21 Jul 2009, 19:35 (Ref:2505679)   #25
Born Racer
Race Official
Veteran

Born Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of FameBorn Racer will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
"The incident with Sutil? These things happen in racing, we spoke to one another and I think that he also sees it that way, as indeed did the Stewards."
I'm not certain the Ferrari driver quotes shown on formula1.com actually come from the horses' mouths, as if you look at the 'selected driver quotes' bit after races, the Ferrari drivers often have a question at the start of their comments, e.g. 'The pitstop problem?' 'The bad start?', and there is a distinctly impressive display of English and lack of 'for sure'.