Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 13 Jul 2009, 16:52 (Ref:2500944)   #1
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Johnny Herbert testing for Honda

Ooh, here's a shock.

Johnny Herbert's joined the Snetterton test, driving for Team Dynamics. Times are slightly quicker than Pinkney - but hey it's his first go.

Is Johnny just playing around? Or is he looking at a BTCC drive. He's recently announced a mad plan to try and get into NASCAR after his Speedcar series broke down.

I'd love for Johnny to join the BTCC. I'm sure Gow would too - helps the numbers!
Old 13 Jul 2009, 16:55 (Ref:2500947)   #2
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Did he not drive the Civic at Goodwood?
Old 13 Jul 2009, 17:03 (Ref:2500954)   #3
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Hazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridHazard should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIRE View Post
Did he not drive the Civic at Goodwood?
Possibly - I don't know.

Goodwood though has loads of drivers having a go in things they don't plan to race. Gets different when you actually join a test - we're allowed to go nuts with speculation.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 17:19 (Ref:2500964)   #4
gregc
Veteran

United Kingdom
Bedford
gregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridgregc should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazard View Post
Ooh, here's a shock.

Johnny Herbert's joined the Snetterton test, driving for Team Dynamics. Times are slightly quicker than Pinkney - but hey it's his first go.

Is Johnny just playing around? Or is he looking at a BTCC drive. He's recently announced a mad plan to try and get into NASCAR after his Speedcar series broke down.

I'd love for Johnny to join the BTCC. I'm sure Gow would too - helps the numbers!
[pedant]Small correction - today's test was at Rockingham.[/pedant]

The wording of the press release I've just seen is interesting:

Quote:
It is undecided if Herbert will turn his hand to the BTCC with Dynamics but he would surely be a major draw
According to the man himself

Quote:
That was great fun and I've seen what these lads get up to during a race so who knows? Let's see... foremost this was just to sample the car after the team asked me at Goodwood if I could do a bit of running to help with development.
We'll see I guess...
Old 13 Jul 2009, 17:20 (Ref:2500966)   #5
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
It would be interesting to see how he does, I don't think he would instantly be a frontrunner but who knows.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 17:26 (Ref:2500971)   #6
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Well if he's faster than Pinkney already after 1 test session...I'll leave you draw your own conclusions
Old 13 Jul 2009, 17:56 (Ref:2500992)   #7
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
duke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the gridduke_toaster should be qualifying in the top 5 on the grid
One would expect that. But lap times are on paper, and motor racing takes place on tarmac. It's about having the touring car nous not to be span in to the wall.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 18:03 (Ref:2500997)   #8
davyboy
Veteran

davyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famedavyboy will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Well if he's faster than Pinkney already after 1 test session...I'll leave you draw your own conclusions
Not sure what conclusions you can draw... one's a former Grand Prix winner and the other's a 57 year old gentleman racer. What else were we expecting ? Please let's not have this thread slide the same way as so many others into slagging off the gentleman racers.

On topic... I'd be thrilled to see Johnny Herbert in the BTCC... he's a great driver, great on TV and a really nice guy to boot. Go on Johnny... go for it !
Old 13 Jul 2009, 18:17 (Ref:2501010)   #9
awrb
Veteran

United Kingdom
Birmingham, UK
awrb should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Do we think they could introduce him in a third car this season. If they do, that would really annoy Shedden surely.

But, perhaps most importantly, what colour would the flames be?
Old 13 Jul 2009, 18:46 (Ref:2501035)   #10
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
This is exciting news, fingers crossed.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 19:00 (Ref:2501043)   #11
Hazard
Veteran

United Kingdom
United Kingdom
Quote:
Originally Posted by awrb View Post
Do we think they could introduce him in a third car this season. If they do, that would really annoy Shedden surely.

But, perhaps most importantly, what colour would the flames be?
Maybe - but if Herbert wants a go, sponsorship money is more likely to turn up. It's no reflection on Shedden.

They've also updated the times on the Autosport page - now says Herbert was slower than Pinkney. Hmmm.
Old 13 Jul 2009, 19:14 (Ref:2501049)   #12
Aunt Sally
Veteran

Aunt Sally should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by jab View Post
Not much to conclude as it was only .003 sec.

Personally I would have expected better from Herbert!
Old 13 Jul 2009, 19:44 (Ref:2501086)   #13
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Herbert himself did say that other than Goodwood, it was his first time in a FWD race car. Also - do we know if he was testing the car in lightweight race trim or fully ballasted with different experimental parts?

RE: possible flame colour - his mid 90's helmet colours had a dayglo red/orange theme so could be an option?

(Has any other touring car in recent times sparked as much interest with respect to livery?)
Old 13 Jul 2009, 20:02 (Ref:2501108)   #14
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
jab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridjab should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyboy View Post
Not sure what conclusions you can draw... one's a former Grand Prix winner and the other's a 57 year old gentleman racer. What else were we expecting ? Please let's not have this thread slide the same way as so many others into slagging off the gentleman racers.
!
Not having a go David and gentleman drivers by any means. I was at Thruxton the day he put in that blinding performance in 2006 so I know what he can do. But given that Johnny would be the most well-known name to race in the series since Mansell 11 years ago, I'd say bringing him onboard would eliminate the need for a gentleman driver given that Johnny is bound to bring some sponsorship with him, as Hazard said, and would probably be quicker. And I don't think Johnny's afraid to panel-bash - he has been racing (and winning) in Speedcar which was essentially a touring car championship with ex-NASCAR stock cars

But of course we don't know the full figures, and the times have been updated with Johnny 2 tenths slower
Old 14 Jul 2009, 17:43 (Ref:2501734)   #15
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Its good to see the BTCC attracting ex F1 drivers again but i feel this is more a publicity stunt than a serious effort having said that if Herbert was to bring money to a possible drive Pinkney could be waved good bye.

Im not in agreement Herbert would do that well at BTCC as its seen many F1 drivers fall down, Mansell the possible exception when he had a reasonable car.

Dynamics would be better trying to bring back Shedden as a No2 if they are really going to have a go at both titles, Herbert as much as he would bring publicity I could see him initially doing no better than Pinkney, Jelley being the reference point going from single seater to BTCC.

Dynamics focal point has to be on Thompson not just for this year but to secure him for next season as well so as not to make the same mistake by a late signing again.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 18:32 (Ref:2501760)   #16
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
helterskelter should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Perhaps I think differently from you because I'm Italian and therefore I don't feel much happier that Herbert might join the series than if it were another driver. He would surely be quick, but it'd take quite a bit of time before Herbert gets up to Thompson's pace, I reckon.
Having said that, the only thing that interests me is to see how would a Formula 1 driver do in touring cars, as everyone says that a TC driver cannot go to F1 while F1 racers can easily switch to TCs...
Old 14 Jul 2009, 19:21 (Ref:2501790)   #17
stedevil
Veteran

Sweden
stedevil has a lot of promise if they can keep it on the circuit!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebaby View Post
Dynamics focal point has to be on Thompson not just for this year but to secure him for next season as well so as not to make the same mistake by a late signing again.
Signing Thompson might really depend on Ladas plans and how many clashes there will be between BTCC and WTCC 2010.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 19:30 (Ref:2501798)   #18
crmalcolm
Veteran

Nepal
Exactly where I need to be.
crmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Famecrmalcolm will be entering the Motorsport Hall of Fame
Could TD's interest in Herbert be to attract more sponsor money, thereby funding a full-scale assault on next year's title with Thompson, backed by Herbert and Pinkney?

With a British, ex-f1 driver in a British Touring Car Championship seat, the publicity must be the best any team could hope for. Coupled with a British, proven world class TC driver, and backed up by a third, well-funded driver, an equivalent to Halfords would surely want to be onboard.

My only concern is with where Matt Neal may fit into these plans?
Old 14 Jul 2009, 20:11 (Ref:2501829)   #19
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Yeah, stedevil, or, more completely, it depends on the Wtcc's future...!
Old 14 Jul 2009, 20:16 (Ref:2501834)   #20
helterskelter
Veteran

Guernsey
Italy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crmalcolm View Post
My only concern is with where Matt Neal may fit into these plans?
I think nobody would waste the Vectras. My opinion (an optimistic one) is that 888 find some kind of backing and keep one between Giovanardi and Neal. Since when I spoke to Fabrizio he sounded pretty much prepared to the idea of sitting back for at least one year, I think that if there are talks ongoing it's about Neal. I can see 888 doing something like Dynamics... It would also work, as this is the last year of full S2000 grid and 888 would be eligible for the Constructors'
Old 14 Jul 2009, 20:42 (Ref:2501849)   #21
Icebaby
Veteran

Icebaby should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
[QUOTE=crmalcolm;2501798]Could TD's interest in Herbert be to attract more sponsor money, thereby funding a full-scale assault on next year's title with Thompson, backed by Herbert and Pinkney?QUOTE]

I don't think any sponser will see Herbert any more of a prospect to back than Thompson who has more chance of putting the car at the front, I do agree Dynamics are maximising their marketing by putting an Ex F1 driver in the car. Pinkney I would very suprised if he's there in 2010.

Neal will proberbly always have the Dynamics option to fall back on but this should not be at the expense of Thompson.
Old 14 Jul 2009, 21:01 (Ref:2501861)   #22
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Steve Neal strikes again!

I'd like to think there was more to this but surely it's just a case of Neal Sr getting the publicity to entice a sponsor in.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 11:41 (Ref:2503241)   #23
touringlegend
Race Official
Veteran

Panama
touringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridtouringlegend should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I was surprised to read in this weeks Autosport that Herbert is a possible replacement for Thompson.

Neal Sr says that Thommo won't be doing any rounds after Knockhill.
Old 17 Jul 2009, 12:05 (Ref:2503258)   #24
duke_toaster
Veteran

European Union
Englandland
Quote:
Originally Posted by touringlegend View Post
I was surprised to read in this weeks Autosport that Herbert is a possible replacement for Thompson.

Neal Sr says that Thommo won't be doing any rounds after Knockhill.
I wonder if Thommo will change his mind if he is leading the championship
Old 17 Jul 2009, 13:24 (Ref:2503300)   #25
jab
Veteran

Wales
South Wales/Coventry
Lada must be paying him loads if he's willing to end a title challenge to go and tootle around in 15th all the time

It's sad, but that's the way it's going these days. He's not the only one to have done that this year - Nick Tandy's the same, quitting a British F3 challenge to go drive for a backmarker Euroseries team...