Home  
Site Partners: SpotterGuides Veloce Books  
Related Sites: Baltic Touring Car Championship Your Link Here  

Go Back   TenTenths Motorsport Forum > Saloon & Sportscar Racing > Touring Car Racing

Old 24 Jul 2009, 10:52 (Ref:2507072)   #1
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
Do we need a 24hr race for touring cars?

Recently I talked to an American friend about the 24hrs at Spa and how it used to be a touring car event until not all that long ago.
And while I really like is as a GT-event, the switch to sportscars still left something of a gap in the touring car world.

The longest touring car only race I can think of right now are the BTCS 12hours of Spa, but wouldn't it be nice to have a Touring Car only 24hour race - at Spa or elsewhere - back on the schedule?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 11:55 (Ref:2507109)   #2
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quintin03 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Great idea, maybe at Bathurst. And make it a race for S2000's S1600's and group-n's.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 12:43 (Ref:2507133)   #3
ROB IS THE STIG
Veteran

England
Paddock Hill Bend Brands Hatch!!
ROB IS THE STIG should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Would love to see this at Brands Hatch, we have a GT Night Race in November and watching that in the dark is great fun.

Touring Cars 24hrs would be brilliant!
Old 24 Jul 2009, 12:53 (Ref:2507138)   #4
Valenok
Racer

Valenok should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
I think, it's not a good idea - to exclude GT from grid. It's not easy - to gather many touring cars in one place. In VLN ADAC prefer not to do it. I think, if we want famous touringcar 24h race, we must promote one of existing race, extend length, class variety, prize money and media coverage. For example 12h Spa - let them to race every touringcar class, extend race length to 24h format.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 13:53 (Ref:2507162)   #5
kristof14
Veteran

kristof14 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
It would be good, and Valenok i think it would be incredibly easy to gather a vast amount of Touring Cars at somewhere like Spa, it's fairly central and easily accessible to WTCC, BTCC, STCC and DTC teams!
Old 24 Jul 2009, 14:18 (Ref:2507168)   #6
FIRE
Race Official
Veteran

Netherlands
FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!FIRE is going for a new world record!
Nothing against an endurance race but I prefer the ETC Cup gets a big boost. So all major entries from BTCC, STCC, DTC, WTCC privateers and others take part in this event.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 14:41 (Ref:2507181)   #7
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
City of Glasgow, Scotland, UK
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
How about running it as part of the ETC Cup? Or an end of season invitational for all teams from the BTCC, WTCC, STCC etc?? Would like to see how a 888 Vectra with a Jordan/Givo/Neal line up goes up against a BMW Entry with Priualx/Muller/Farfus!
Old 24 Jul 2009, 15:11 (Ref:2507188)   #8
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok View Post
I think, it's not a good idea - to exclude GT from grid. It's not easy - to gather many touring cars in one place. In VLN ADAC prefer not to do it. I think, if we want famous touringcar 24h race, we must promote one of existing race, extend length, class variety, prize money and media coverage. For example 12h Spa - let them to race every touringcar class, extend race length to 24h format.
Wow, stupid idea, no one would know about it because there would already be a 24 hours of Spa.
I think my previous sugestion (Bathurst) wouldn't be the best. I think somewhere where no touringcar races are held would be the best. Now we need to find something decent
Old 24 Jul 2009, 15:40 (Ref:2507200)   #9
Speed-King
Veteran

Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!Speed-King has a real shot at the podium!
For purely selfish reasons I would say Hockenheim, but that track is a real snoozer now and not really a proper touring car track.

I think Brands Hatch would really be awesome, but they seem to have some noise-issues, so I am not sure if a 24hr event would be feasible there...

How about Spielberg/A1/Österreichring/Whateveryoucall it? The track will be reopened next year.
Or maybe Sachsenring?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 15:48 (Ref:2507208)   #10
Andy77
Veteran

Andy77 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintin03 View Post
Wow, stupid idea, no one would know about it because there would already be a 24 hours of Spa.
I think my previous sugestion (Bathurst) wouldn't be the best. I think somewhere where no touringcar races are held would be the best. Now we need to find something decent
There is beautiful circuit left by FIA-GT in South America
Old 24 Jul 2009, 16:02 (Ref:2507220)   #11
Valenok
Racer

Quote:
Yes, I forget about that. But you can add 1 more hour and get 25 hours of Spa
Quote:
I think my previous sugestion (Bathurst) wouldn't be the best.
It must be european circuit, because of origination of most teams. And it must located in southern countries, if you want to organize it after motorsport season plus have spectators on tribunes (good weather needed). May be Mugello in last decade of November?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 16:10 (Ref:2507228)   #12
Speed-King
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valenok View Post
Yes, I forget about that. But you can add 1 more hour and get 25 hours of Spa
Today seems not to be your lucky day: there's also already a 25 hours of Spa for the VW-Funcup-Cars!
Old 24 Jul 2009, 16:43 (Ref:2507238)   #13
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
[QUOTE=Speed-King;2507200]How about Spielberg/A1/Österreichring/Whateveryoucall it? The track will be reopened next year.[QUOTE]
Great idea, it needs a decent top event and DTM doesn't want to make a deal with them. If they build the westschleife extension it will be perfect. If you really want to know the track will probably be known as the Redbullring since they own it although I would prefer Österreichring or Spielbergring.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 17:18 (Ref:2507259)   #14
Valenok
Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed-King View Post
Today seems not to be your lucky day: there's also already a 25 hours of Spa for the VW-Funcup-Cars!
No, I know about it But this race organizied by the same people that Spa 12h, so it's not difficult to replace it by touringcar race.
Old 24 Jul 2009, 17:34 (Ref:2507262)   #15
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
I might be wrong, but wasn't there a mini-enduro touring car race (BTCC) in the late 80's, held at Donnington Park?

Something like a 4 or 8 hour event?
Old 24 Jul 2009, 19:36 (Ref:2507309)   #16
aland
Veteran

Scotland
West Scotland
aland should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
it would take too much modification to a S2000 car to make it workable for enduro racing

really want to see the britcar 24hr back, run what you brung, anything goes and possibly the best event to marshal
Old 24 Jul 2009, 19:50 (Ref:2507317)   #17
Speed-King
Veteran

If Supertourers could run Spa in the 90s, S2000 cars surely can today, there have already been a few S2000 cars racing at the 'Ring....

And with the SRO making it a GT2-race next year, there actually might be a chance for touring car racing to reclaim Spa a few years down the line....
Old 24 Jul 2009, 21:14 (Ref:2507357)   #18
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
nickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the gridnickyf1 should be qualifying in the top 10 on the grid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sodemo View Post
I might be wrong, but wasn't there a mini-enduro touring car race (BTCC) in the late 80's, held at Donnington Park?

Something like a 4 or 8 hour event?
It was a 500km race as part of the ETCC (Part of the WTCC in '87). Touring Car racing was normaly like this for the whole season.

The Tourist Trophy at Silverstone used to be for Touring Cars in the ETCC and WTCC.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 08:51 (Ref:2507516)   #19
Sodemo
Veteran

United Kingdom
Solihull, West Mids, UK
Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!Sodemo has a real shot at the championship!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
It was a 500km race as part of the ETCC (Part of the WTCC in '87). Touring Car racing was normaly like this for the whole season.

The Tourist Trophy at Silverstone used to be for Touring Cars in the ETCC and WTCC.
Yep, thats the one.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 09:49 (Ref:2507534)   #20
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
Gotta be honest I am not a great fan of 24 hour races, even Le Mans. I think theya re pretty6 much only wirthy of interest to manufactureres for advertising and proving technology.

I dont really think this is important to the likes of Chevrolet or Seat or BMW, and when you consider a SEAT coulc probably do a third as many laps as anything else its pretty pointless.

I think maybe the Nurburg 24 hr is perhapsthe haven for this type of thing and quite often the tourers of various types do well.

As for the S2000 cars well can't see the point really otehr than to please the fans who like long races!
Old 25 Jul 2009, 10:32 (Ref:2507548)   #21
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
Gotta be honest I am not a great fan of 24 hour races, even Le Mans. I think theya re pretty6 much only wirthy of interest to manufactureres for advertising and proving technology.

I dont really think this is important to the likes of Chevrolet or Seat or BMW, and when you consider a SEAT coulc probably do a third as many laps as anything else its pretty pointless.

I think maybe the Nurburg 24 hr is perhapsthe haven for this type of thing and quite often the tourers of various types do well.

As for the S2000 cars well can't see the point really otehr than to please the fans who like long races!
I don't see what you mean, endurance races are meant to let manufacturers prove the can build reliable cars. That's also why single seater endurance races don't exist since those are pure race vehicles and their reliability isn't needed. An endurance race for touring cars would be closer to the real goal than an endurance race for non production based sportscars.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 12:28 (Ref:2507610)   #22
nickyf1
Veteran

Scotland
If Endurance racing was more part of Touring Car racing, there would be major development in improving the reliability of the cars, similar to the way Deisel technology has been developed rapidly at Le Mans in recent years, which would definetaly benifit road cars.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 12:48 (Ref:2507615)   #23
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickyf1 View Post
If Endurance racing was more part of Touring Car racing, there would be major development in improving the reliability of the cars, similar to the way Deisel technology has been developed rapidly at Le Mans in recent years, which would definetaly benifit road cars.
When did I say endurance racing was more part of touringcar racing than sportscar racing? It isn't much part of touringcar racing today but in the late 80's it certainly was because the first WTCC season in 1987 was composed of endurance races only, each atleast 500km but also races of 4 hours, 1000km and 24 hours.
Old 25 Jul 2009, 13:10 (Ref:2507643)   #24
chunder
Veteran

England
Stevenage
chunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the gridchunder should be qualifying in the top 3 on the grid
I think in reality the diesels used in WSPC are not that similar to the oens you can buy on the road! They use very special fuel and stuff dont they so in reality how closely linked are they to your A4 TD!!

And in order to promote a brand you either race the same one or race something that isnt marketed by you but is badged.

Audi do both in DTM and WSPC and BMW only race WTCC to promote the 3 Series, nothing else. Chevy are trying to stop everyone thinking Daewoo and SEAT have a VW budget to spend on diesel who are linked back to Audi after all, and I cant imagine Repsol are too unhappy at the link in Spain and South America where they seem to race a lot, hmmmmmmmmm

24 hour TC race, no. Mixed in with other stuff fair enough
Old 25 Jul 2009, 13:18 (Ref:2507652)   #25
Quintin03
Veteran

Netherlands
Quote:
Originally Posted by chunder View Post
I think in reality the diesels used in WSPC are not that similar to the oens you can buy on the road! They use very special fuel and stuff dont they so in reality how closely linked are they to your A4 TD!!

And in order to promote a brand you either race the same one or race something that isnt marketed by you but is badged.

Audi do both in DTM and WSPC and BMW only race WTCC to promote the 3 Series, nothing else. Chevy are trying to stop everyone thinking Daewoo and SEAT have a VW budget to spend on diesel who are linked back to Audi after all, and I cant imagine Repsol are too unhappy at the link in Spain and South America where they seem to race a lot, hmmmmmmmmm

24 hour TC race, no. Mixed in with other stuff fair enough
You're making no sense at all. Are you Italian perhaps because Italians seem to have the hardest time speaking English. What's WSPC? World SPortscar Championship? that doesn't exist anymore since 1992.